Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 06:55 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
TSA opened and inspected my EMPTY checked luggage a few weeks ago. EMPTY. Three bags. EMPTY.
I gather that you are trying to imply that they are idiots for doing their job. They were checking for drugs hidden in the lining of the cases. It was the lack of contents that made your bags unusual and worthy of a good look-see. That's not too difficult to understand, is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 07:37 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I gather that you are trying to imply that they are idiots for doing their job. They were checking for drugs hidden in the lining of the cases. It was the lack of contents that made your bags unusual and worthy of a good look-see. That's not too difficult to understand, is it?
They are not CBP or DEA. They are not tasked with searching for drugs. They aren't even law enforcement. So yes, I think they were idiots for searching empty bags when they x-ray everything and could CLEARLY SEE that there was nothing inside that would affect the safety of the airplane or flying public.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:36 AM

30,627 posts, read 18,203,012 times
I've never had items missing from a TSA bag check. In fact, my experience with the TSA in general has been the opposite of what the OP describes. Indeed, TSA agents have (on more than one occasion) run after me to return an item that I mistakenly left at the security checkpoint while rushing to the gate. I'm not saying that there are not any issues with TSA agents (see, here: Another TSA Agent Accused of iPad Theft - ABC News), but I'd be more concerned with the stragglers who hang around the baggage claim if the bags start rolling before I get off the plane; that's a huge reason why I make an effort to never check a bag.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:43 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,545,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
On several trips, I've noticed that I seem to be missing things from my luggage after the TSA has snooped through my luggage. On the trip that I just completed, I lost some "party beads". The time before, I lost a matchbook that I'm sure can't be replaced. These haven't been major items that I've lost, but they always seem to coincide with TSA putting that piece of paper that states that they riffled through my luggage or a wide open zipper that they didn't even bother to close.
Has this happened to any of you?
TSA and CBP (CBP are the worst) take the minimum amount of time to do an egregiously bad job of rummaging through passengers luggage. The don't bother putting things back in your luggage carefully or thoughtfully.

First hand experience watching them.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:38 AM

I have never had CBP look through my luggage. Typically they only do if they have a pretty good reason to.

I have to smirk when I see them dumping bag after bag of counterfeit handbags, wallets, and clothing particularly after Asian flights have landed at LAX.

I've also seen USDA ransack bags after a dog has alerted to food. As well they should.

I have no sympathy for people who break the law.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:20 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,393,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
TSA and CBP (CBP are the worst) take the minimum amount of time to do an egregiously bad job of rummaging through passengers luggage. The don't bother putting things back in your luggage carefully or thoughtfully.

First hand experience watching them.
I imagine they are under huge time constraints to get the bags through and on the plane. I'd rather them spend their time looking for things than carefully folding underwear.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:49 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
They are not CBP or DEA. They are not tasked with searching for drugs. They aren't even law enforcement. So yes, I think they were idiots for searching empty bags when they x-ray everything and could CLEARLY SEE that there was nothing inside that would affect the safety of the airplane or flying public.
Who can argue with someone who wants to be offended?

Old 07-15-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Who can argue with someone who wants to be offended?
I don't want to be offended, I want my tax dollars used by people with a little common sense.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:21 AM

414 posts, read 296,383 times
I would like the TSA to not cut off my "TSA-approved" locks, since the entire point is that the TSA has the master key. But no matter, they cut them off anyway, rending my $10 special lock useless, only to paw around my dirty laundry (literally).

Only in the airline indusry can a carrier ding you $50 to check a large bag, and then to advise you that anything in that bag is fair game. Somehow, millions of people accept this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel