Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 08:25 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,577,383 times

Advertisements

I have been to 40 states.

States I've spent "quality time" in (more than just an overnight stay, and more than just one city) include California, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Vermont, Ohio, Kansas, Missouri, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Tennessee, Maine, Massachusetts and Mississippi. (and home state of New York, of course)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 08:29 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,577,383 times
Quote:
Being on this little Island, (I'm in England), there really isn't that much to explore. Some even feel no need to explore, I've known people that never went more than ten miles from where they were born.
Yes but keep in mind that this is true in America also, in a certain way. Many Americans have "traveled" in their own country only to the big tourist cities or tourist sites. They fly everywhere and don't do road trips as often.

America also has the reputation of being culturally homogenous, but it just isn't true. There are subtle but real differences even inside the states. I'm not even talking North vs. South or East Coast vs. West Coast - I mean, within California, within New York, within Texas and so on.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:43 PM

536 posts, read 829,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
That's too bad. Because every state is seriously cool in its own way.
I remember thinking I was going to hate Mississippi. We went to visit some friends that had moved there. So we were talking with our friends and they were teasing us about us moving there, and just as joke they wanted us to walk down the road and look at a house that was for sale. Turns out I instantly fell in love with this house. It was more like a HUGE cabin on a lake, and it was one of the most beautiful houses I ever saw. It was like a scene out of a movie, and it was freaking dirt cheap. They were practically giving it away. I couldn't believe it. I was ready to move to Mississippi. But it didn't happen for numerous reasons. Had a great trip though.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:00 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
We are trying to get to all the states. Guess we will have to go on a cruise to get Hawaii and Alaska. Some states we have just driven into to say we have been there and would like to go back and visit more and others are fine to us to just skip beyond the drive-in.

Visited 32 which leaves us 18 to go. The weather has been so bad this year that we are staying close to home.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:13 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
Yes but keep in mind that this is true in America also, in a certain way. Many Americans have "traveled" in their own country only to the big tourist cities or tourist sites. They fly everywhere and don't do road trips as often.

America also has the reputation of being culturally homogenous, but it just isn't true. There are subtle but real differences even inside the states. I'm not even talking North vs. South or East Coast vs. West Coast - I mean, within California, within New York, within Texas and so on.
This is why we take road trips instead of flying. The horror stories I have been hearing about plane travel makes me never want to travel that way. I would probably be arrested if someone started feeling around on my body. How do you really know where you are if you get there on an airplane. I want to experience every inch of the road on the way there. Sometimes the trip there and back is better than the stay after you get there.

We went to Ventura, California and took a boat to the least traveled National Park and on the way there we experienced a storm that had a tornado touch down close to where we were and hail beat a few dents into our car roof that we did not fix because they were our memories and were not noticeable to most people because there are only a few and the car is our second car now, flooding in Memphis and Arkansas. One rest area was even closed because the water was so high, then fires in areas further West. Then going through Los Angeles we saw a snow-capped mountain as we came around a curve that was breathtaking. Although where we spent the week was very cool and we wore a jacket, when we would come back inland just a little it got really warm. We would have missed all that if we had flown.

On the way home we saw a sign on I-40 telling us how far it is to Wilmington, N. C. and realized we have now been the entire length of I-40 unless we have missed a small area between Raleigh and Wilmington. We will get that some day just to make sure we have done it. We have also been from one end to the other of the Blue Ridge Parkway. We have just about done the entire length of I-10.

We will probably have to make ourselves go through a few states like NJ and the neighboring states to the north of there because we like open spaces and little traffic. We have been all the way to the Florida Keyes but we haven't lost a thing in Florida either. Vacations are to relax and if you have to fear getting a ticket when you are within the speed limit just because you might be in front of someone that wants to speed is not my idea of relaxing.

Last edited by NCN; 07-10-2013 at 09:31 PM..

Old 07-10-2013, 09:15 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,043,113 times
I've visited most.

I'm missing: Michigan, Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Connecticut, Rhode Island. If I manage to visit all 50 states, I think Delaware would be a somewhat poetic final stop, since it was the first state to ratify the constitution.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:36 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,872 times
Default I Have Visited A Few

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Just out of interest, this one.

Being on this little Island, (I'm in England), there really isn't that much to explore. Some even feel no need to explore, I've known people that never went more than ten miles from where they were born.

I'm just wondering how much you all get about.

I am beginning to travel more frequently actually and I'm in my 20's. I live in Los Angeles, and have recently lived and visited Northern California which I had not done since I was about 8. I have been to Arizone, Washington State and DC, Oregon, Nevada, Virginia, Kentucky and legend has it that I had been to Wyoming when I was an infant but not with my family, but that is a long story, lol.

What parts of England have you visited, where do you live in England? Never been to Wales or Scotland?

I think this is more normal than many think, even with different modes of travel in this day and age there are many of us who have never been to many parts of our own countries. My folks are from Iran, and my mom lived in Tehran and had been to Mashad. But never been to other major cities like Isfahan, Shiraz, etc.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:10 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
All except Alaska.
I was an over the road trucker in the 1980s.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:37 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Everything in the lower 48, except Maine. And I have never flown in a commercial alirliner in my 63.8 years, a record I hope to keep intact.

If i had the time and money, I'd like to get every county. Currently have all of PA, Nj, and DE, most of NY, MD, VA, Ct, MA, OH, FL, NV and AZ.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:02 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
I have been to 42 of the states. The ones missing are:

North Dakota
South Dakota
Minnesota
Washington
Oregon
Alaska
Alabama
Idaho
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel