Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2013, 01:56 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,341,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
yes, this is what they are advertising but did you try and book it? I did, I tried 2 dates, it would book, the problem? Check the meal package, what it covers? it is simply quick snacks meals a couple times a day, no sit down meals for starters. The price does not include any transportation to the theme parks nor taxes. There is always a catch. Yes, the price still isn't really all the bad, but it is not quite what it appears to be. Then you add airfare, like you said, it doesn't include that and you are up to a pretty hefty amount. My point again, is, a vacation at Disney World is really an expensive vacation. No, it is not out of the reach for most families, but it is something many can do only once and it is a lot more than the price you see posted that states: from such and such. I have a pretty good idea about costs, I used to be a travel agent and we booked these packages through Disney all the time. They usually ended up being about 1/2 more than the starting price said.
Isn't Disney offering free dining now (for certain time frames). And if you stay at a Disney resort, you don't need transportation, it's provided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 02:15 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Looking into a family vacation at Disney World and realize that it is no longer affordable for middle class families - it is so expensive that only rich people (i.e. upper middle class and above) can afford it.

If that's true, they are doomed. I don't know many wealthy or upper middle class families who go there more than once in an entire life time.

We went there when our kids were in pre-school and first grade. Most of the people there seemed working class or lower middle class.

It wasn't cheap. Has it become more expensive?

Somehow, i think their target market will always find a way to pay homage to The Mouse.

Too bad, since a hictorical and educational vacation can actually cost much less!

Old 08-07-2013, 02:17 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
Isn't Disney offering free dining now (for certain time frames). And if you stay at a Disney resort, you don't need transportation, it's provided.

Even if they through in meals, the Disney Resorts are not cheap.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:53 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,341,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Even if they through in meals, the Disney Resorts are not cheap.
Well they have various price ranges (from like $99 /night to up to $500+ per night). And most of them are pretty cool , the themes in some are really nice.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:32 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
Well they have various price ranges (from like $99 /night to up to $500+ per night). And most of them are pretty cool , the themes in some are really nice.
check the packages like I did, no that $99 does not include meals. There are several meal plans you can book, I tried and it said, clearly, no meal plan chosen; adding a basic meal plan shot the price way up and it really wasn't enough to satisfy most families. it was pretty much just a little fast food. And many of the choices, the cheaper ones did not include transfers, plus you have to have a car to some way to get from the airport to the resort. The really close resorts that include transportation are more expensive BTW, the 99.00 is not per room, but per person and the key word is From 99.00. Like any form of advertising you have to read between the lines.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:21 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,098,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
check the packages like I did, no that $99 does not include meals. There are several meal plans you can book, I tried and it said, clearly, no meal plan chosen; adding a basic meal plan shot the price way up and it really wasn't enough to satisfy most families. it was pretty much just a little fast food. And many of the choices, the cheaper ones did not include transfers, plus you have to have a car to some way to get from the airport to the resort. The really close resorts that include transportation are more expensive BTW, the 99.00 is not per room, but per person and the key word is From 99.00. Like any form of advertising you have to read between the lines.
All on site Disney resorts provide free transportation to the parks, which eliminates the need for a rental car, parking and gas. The value resorts use a bus system while most of the higher end (Contemporary, Polynesian) are on the monorail. Even if you stay off property, there is a Lynx bus that will take you to the TTC (or used to be if they haven't changed the route) and many off site hotels have free shuttle transport to the parks. I believe the Magical Express from the airport is free if you stay on property, but I'm not sure.
If you are doing a Disney only vacation, on property is probably the best value. If one plans to venture out to, say, Sea world or Universal, I like the idea of renting an offsite villa.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:26 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
question: is it worthwhile to get a hotel with a nice outdoor pool area (still under $100/night)? Not just a simple rectangular pool, but has spray-park type stuff and a small lazy river. Or would you be too tired/busy to ever take advantage of that over the course of ~7 days doing Disney parks + water parks?

Old 08-08-2013, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
All on site Disney resorts provide free transportation to the parks, which eliminates the need for a rental car, parking and gas. The value resorts use a bus system while most of the higher end (Contemporary, Polynesian) are on the monorail. Even if you stay off property, there is a Lynx bus that will take you to the TTC (or used to be if they haven't changed the route) and many off site hotels have free shuttle transport to the parks. I believe the Magical Express from the airport is free if you stay on property, but I'm not sure.
If you are doing a Disney only vacation, on property is probably the best value. If one plans to venture out to, say, Sea world or Universal, I like the idea of renting an offsite villa.
I too like the idea of the condo. Even though the other expenses are added, it just makes sense to have more room when we are talking a family. If there are little kids involved they can come back a nap if they want. It is easy to through a quick bowl of cereal on the table before heading out for the day than dragging the family to a restaurant and hassling with the wait, not to mention it is a lot less expensive.

Yes, as an X travel agent, I do realize there is the monorail and other transportation but unless a family is only there for a couple of days, most are going to want to see some of the other sites. I can't comment on the Lynx bus, it didn't used to be free and from the checking I did yesterday, I doubt it is unless we are talking about the more upscale resorts. Then the price has just double compared to the value lodging that is being referred to here.

I just think it is important to realize, those posted prices do not tell the entire story. This is why I got into this debate. I didn't mean to suggest Disney is only for those with money and that it cant' be done on a budget. But you would be hard pressed to do it for $2700 for a week..

Old 08-08-2013, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
question: is it worthwhile to get a hotel with a nice outdoor pool area (still under $100/night)? Not just a simple rectangular pool, but has spray-park type stuff and a small lazy river. Or would you be too tired/busy to ever take advantage of that over the course of ~7 days doing Disney parks + water parks?
Heck if you are spending 7 days there and the hotel is less than $100 a night, go for it. You have nothing to lose. Will you use it? Probably some, maybe a lot. I am sure the kids will love it, not to mention mommy and daddy might like to just float down that lazy river!!!

Old 08-08-2013, 04:38 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,075,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
The issue is, can middle class families even afford gas to drive to a National Park? Forget about Disney. People who live pay check to paycheck, savings account are best used for rainy day funds, in case of job loss.
What is middle class though? I think that is part of the problem. You could have a family of four with a combined income of $100K, maybe a bit more, and they will claim they are two steps from poverty at any given time. Of course they don't realize they drop $200/month for a cell phone plan, $200/month for cable TV, $3,000-$4,000 a year eating out, $1,500-$2,500 for a "premium" new car package, etc.. My family went to Disney with my nieces a few years ago. The first time, it was just grandparents who had a paid work trip, so they took the oldest. After a year or two, they decided to take them both back and mom and dad went as well. It can be costly, but it can be negated as well. I see folks I work with spend $7-$15 a day on lunch....95% of the time. That right there is $2,500ish for eating lunch during work. I bring my lunch to work 98% of the time, and spend about $500/year to do so. That right there leaves $2,000 for a Disney vacation that many don't have because they are lazy, want someone else to do the cooking and serving for them, and/or have really bad time management skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel