Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2013, 07:40 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I never went to Disney as a kid. I don't feel like I really missed much.

I've since been there numerous timesb because I have relatives in Florida.

At my kids current age they'd rather just stay in the pool all day, so on a multi day stay at one of the moderate resorts, we only went to one park.

I think what Disney does well are their themed resorts...if you are going to parks every day then it gets really expensive....and I think over $100 for the Magic Kingdom is past the point of absurdity.
If you buy a multi-day tickets, the per day price comes way down. My per day price for a 7-day base ticket last month was ~$43 /day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Disney World and Disney Land and all other parks for pleasure
are only in business to make money, and as long as they
stay full the prices will stay high.

If they become overly crowded they will raise there prices even higher
or enlarge there property to make room for others.
If they fall behind in customers they will lower there prices.

That is business and common science, adjust to make more profit.
Disney is filling their hotels & their parks. Capitalism 101.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingomo View Post
We have taken our kids to Disney World 3 times and are planning our 4th and final this February because we are hoping to move out west within the next year or so. My kids will be 13, almost 10 and turning 4 when there. We could not have done this many trips without the help of our friend who works there. He has gotten us 50% off our hotel each time, gotten three of us into the parks for free (he is only allowed 3 at a time if he uses his regular discount) and last time, we didn't pay a nickel for our park tickets at all. He met us at the gate every morning and used his special friends and family pass to get all 5 of us in (4 actually but baby was free). He also got us discounts on food and souveniers. Our entire 5 day trip, including airfare, only cost us $1200.

This time, we are driving (18 hours) since airfare is insane, and we are only doing 2 Disney parks, so I figured we would just pay for our tickets ourselves and not have to bother him about getting us in or meeting us there. Well... park tickets for a family of five for 2 days will cost me almost $1000! And this is not the "hopper" option and it is supposed to be the "discount" season. I was shocked at how much the prices have gone up in the past few years. When we paid for our one family member it was $60. Now it is $90. I am now rethinking this entire trip. We were also planning on going to Universal for two days which is about $30 less, and they always have a buy one get one free ticket. Disney never discounts anything. Add gas, food, Universal and hotel (still discounted 50%) and I just can't see it being doable. I know he will help us out with park tickets, but I truly don't want to ask him to do that, though I know he doesn't mind. My husband will be talking to him tonight about options for discounts, but I jsut don't know if this can happen. My kids will be so upset.
If you did just Disney, your tickets would not be as expensive. Plus, you don't need "hopper" passes. Base tickets are fine.

And btw, Disney gives discounts all the time. Free dining, 30-40% off the rack rates, etc. I've been twice in the last year, & used a discount both times, including the summer (peak season). You should use a certified Disney travel agency.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:48 PM

332 posts, read 868,006 times
FOr a family with kids maybe go on their spring break week since there aren't any holidays to max up the cost of hotel and airfare. If it's bothersome to drive with the kids then look at bus fares. Usually these have specials and can be significantly cheaper than airfare. I"m not sure but maybe you can use costcos website to have them send your tickets. For food, don't eat inside the park maybe just snacks as it is much more expensive there but theydo have amazing restaurants. It is expensive but i think you can save some money by cutting corners. Of course it will never be free unless you win free tickets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
All these ideas are wonderful, but some are overlooking a few issues: 1-traveling long distances with a couple of kids can be very frustrating and you can't drive as many hours. So what some can do in 2 nights, other will take 3..2- months where rates are lower: those are low season when families can not travel or if they can, they certainly can't take the extra time to drive. 3- even buying tickets from Costco (if they have Costco where you live, not all places do) will save, but the costs are still very expensive. There are always ways to save and I am sure, most families traveling to Disney resorts know who to take advantage of the savings, still it is an expensive vacation for most families. Anyone who thinks it isn't has never done it with a couple of kids. So many are talking about the basic costs and forgetting the extra money that we all spend. That is like saying: gee, if you check you can go on a week cruise for just about $1500 for four if you go off season. That $1500 is just the start of the cost.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:34 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
If your not sure when to go to WDW then go here first.
When to Go to Walt Disney World

Old 08-12-2013, 08:02 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,777,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I would agree with that. Disney eats money. The entrance fee alone is $90 for one person, for one day at Epcot. Add food, drinks....hotel, car rental, airfare...

We have been there, many years ago...

A lot of middle class families that I know, don't have that disposable income. Disney would be a huge trip to save for...I think a family of five, would cost, conservatively, without air fare,
For four days....food, entrance fee, hotel, car rental,
Park fee: $1500
Hotel: $600, and that is not a fancy place!
Gee gaws, food, water, $40 a day, minimum. Probably more...at least $800.
Car: $40 a day, 160.

$3000 give or take, for four days....no airfare in that...add airfare, conservative, $250 x 5
$1250.

I am not wealthy, but I have a lot of experience traveling with kids, and I have been to Disney, you may not believe me, but I have probably way underestimated on costs.

I suppose, a family could drive there, do camping, ( even camping at Disney is $54 a night!).

One bottle of cold water at Disney? $2.50.

They have a dining plan, which makes a lot of sense, here is the cheapest one...
Magic Your Way Package Plus Quick Service Dining Plan | the disney food blog

Personally, take the kids to a National Park...pack your cooler, go camping and hiking. And don't stress about the money.

Agree AND disagree. You can't blame airfare on Disney. Vacations by their nature are not typically cheap. If you don't live nearby the destination, your going to have to fly, or drive long distance. This is true if you are visiting the redwoods in California coming from Kansas, or going to Disney from out of state. Many of the expenses would be the same at Disney vs. any other vacation.
Disney hotels: start at ~100 a night (try and find that rate in NYC, Austin, or LA)
Airfare: Same
Food: eating out is more expensive/ suggest grocery store food (same as food at home)
Park entrance: very expensive, 1,000 bucks for family of 4 - four day tickets.

So the only cost that is unavoidable and doesn't translate to a similar vacation (ie. Grand Canyon) is park entrance, and the Grand Canyon doesn't have thrill rides unless you count riding a donkey on a trail a thrill ride.

The Gee gaws as you call them...that's the easy part. Each kid earns money they can save for the trip before hand, thru chores, good grades, etc. They can spend their money any way they want, but when it's gone, it's gone.

6 day 7 night vacation package for four was right around 2,000 bucks when I looked last, which included hotel and park entrance. If you stay @ Disney, you have no need for a rental car, you get complementary transportation from the airport to Disney, and Bus/boat/Monorail's will move you around the property at no cost.

When my wife and I went, we drove instead of flying. We stopped at the Publix, and got breakfast food and lunch stuff, brought the electric cooler to the hotel to keep things cold. Bring a few bottle waters from home, and we would refill them at the many waterfountains around the park. We would have a big breakfast in the hotel room, then bring tuna/crackers/apple/granola bars or whatever for lunch time.

I guess the thing is if you don't have much money, you can sit around and dwell on it and miss out, or you can devise a plan on how to make it work. Our vacation to Hawaii cost far more than our vacation to Disney, and we are not wealthy. We save, do our homework, make a plan and follow thru.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:22 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Just as there are setbacks for middle-class families (e.g. job loss, etc.), there are occasional windfalls, such as inheritances. The death of Grandma Gladys might be tragic, but that $150,000 house divided two or three ways among her children might be spent to assuage some of their grief by taking a vacation to Disneyworld. Plus, I don't think most visitors go there every year...

Old 08-12-2013, 01:00 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I wish people who go as a couple would not compare that to taking three kids.

The Polynesian is one of the less expensive properties on Disney, and the room fee is the least of it, add resort fee, and taxes, almost equal to cost of room. It makes sense to stay on Disney property, get early entry, can stay later.

Note, only with kids under ten will they allow you to have five in a room. If you have teens, it is a limit of four in a room. Some places limit to four in a room. That makes a difference.

Sure, it can be done, but not every year. I have a decent income, and it would be quite an expense.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:11 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I wish people who go as a couple would not compare that to taking three kids.

The Polynesian is one of the less expensive properties on Disney, and the room fee is the least of it, add resort fee, and taxes, almost equal to cost of room. It makes sense to stay on Disney property, get early entry, can stay later.

Note, only with kids under ten will they allow you to have five in a room. If you have teens, it is a limit of four in a room. Some places limit to four in a room. That makes a difference.

Sure, it can be done, but not every year. I have a decent income, and it would be quite an expense.
There is no resort fees at any of the Disney owned and operated resorts. Taxes are 12% total. Not sure where on earth you are coming up with that equaling the cost of the room.

The Polynesian is tied with the Contemporary for the second most expensive resort at Disney World--only the Grand Floridian is more expensive. They all fall into what Disney terms "Deluxe" resorts.

The least expensive options at Disney are the "Value Resorts which are the various All Star properties as well as Pop Century.

You are also completely, totally, and incredibly wrong about the five in a room rules.

The following resorts can accommodate five ADULTS in a room:

Grand Floridian
Polynesian
Contemporary
All Star Music (Might be Movies, but one of them has family suites that sleep up to five adults)
Wilderness Lodge
Beach Club
Yacht Club
Boardwalk
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Fort Wilderness Homes
All DVC Resorts

Additionally the Hilton at Downtown Disney participates in the Early Entry program (although it doesn't include free transportation from the airport) and a shared shuttle service that operates pretty much continuously throughout the day and evening to all the parks.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:50 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Disney can certainly get expensive for families espcially if you have to fly in. For Florid residents though it can be a nice 2-4 day trip. A lot of good offers out there for Florida and I think also sometimes offers for Georgia residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel