Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 07:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
That's one of the reasons why (beside the financial one)I never travel on package tours or cruises or ClubMed. I'm always vacationing on my own. Indeed , part of the pleasure in traveling is doing the homework (searching on the Net for the interesting places, contacting local renters by e-mail,making the transport reservations, changing money, reading a book or two about the place I'm going to visit, etc) , one feels already on the move! and not having to pay a travel agent saves a significant amount of money!
Wanting to do your own research can be part of the fun, but I will tell you your idea of cruising, package tours and paying a travel agent is 100% wrong. Depending on where you are going, cruising can be about the best bang for your buck, package tours also offer more for you money than doing it on your own and travel agents rarely charge a fee. Some will charge a small fee for doing research but will deduct that fee when you book or give it back in another way. Where did you get the idea they charge for their services? Oh, most do charge for booking air, as they get no commission from the airlines, other than that, there is rarely a charge. Now if you live in another country, I don't know the policies about travel agents charging and if your idea of a vacation is to visit national parks, go hiking, fishing, etc. of course using a travel agent would not be of much benefit.

Last edited by nmnita; 08-06-2013 at 07:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 07:45 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
I can't tolerate native speakers writing something like "laying on the beach". Did you guys mean lying on the beach?

Lay is either the past tense of the intransitive verb lie, or a transitive verb itself. In the latter case, it means to place something somewhere.

Lie / Lay / Lying / Laying

There is no such thing as "laying on the beach".

Old 08-06-2013, 08:39 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
I can't tolerate the spelling & grammar police here. People like you need get over yourself.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:07 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I can't tolerate native speakers writing something like "laying on the beach". Did you guys mean lying on the beach?

Lay is either the past tense of the intransitive verb lie, or a transitive verb itself. In the latter case, it means to place something somewhere.

Lie / Lay / Lying / Laying

There is no such thing as "laying on the beach".
I meant lay. After all, I said it was all about spending quality time with my spouse.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:16 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I meant lay. After all, I said it was all about spending quality time with my spouse.
good for you both but (not that I really care), laying on the beach will likely get you arrested in most places.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:37 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
The trick is to go on vac. with someone who likes to do the same things you do while on vacation. One time I went to Vegas with a girlfriend and I wanted to keep walking and seeing the sights and she just wanted to lay by the pool because her feet hurt. Even though she was 10 yrs younger than me she just could not keep up and did not want to either I guess - but there was no way I could have known this beforehand -

Old 08-06-2013, 10:47 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
Going anywhere and eating at chain restaurants. I can eat at Chili's in my hometown. It's not good here and it won't be any better there. Live a little, try something new. One stop at Wendy's is fine but I prefer to try the locally owned one of a kind restaurant.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:13 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
good for you both but (not that I really care), laying on the beach will likely get you arrested in most places.
Just having a little fun with the grammar police. I am very law abiding.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:27 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Just about all the comments in this thread reinforce why hubby and I travel alone. Once in a blue moon my one son and DIL will travel with us but it works out ok because we do not glue ourselves to each other...yes we meet up for drinks, dinner.
I want to do what I want and not be caught up in someone else's agenda..been there done that to many times and it makes for a stressful vacation

Old 08-06-2013, 11:38 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserdiscfan View Post
People who complain/whine. It was mentioned earlier, but it's really the only thing that bothers me about other travelers. I absolutely LOATHE people who complain about being "bored" and wanting to be entertained 24/7, instead of just enjoying the moment and having a relaxing time. The point of being on vacation is to relax and do something you can't do at home, not complain about how the country you are staying in doesn't have everything you had back home.

I also really don't like it when someone is a guest in my home, and complains/makes fun of where I live. Not just where I am staying at exactly, but the city or state I am living in. It is the quickest way to **** me off and send you packing. I invited you to come over and spend some quality time with me, and for you to have a relaxing time...not for you to ***** about how "boring" my home is. If you think it's so dreadful and horrible, feel free to leave and never come back. My house isn't the Ritz-Carlton.
In general I agree, I don't like people who have to be entertained all the time. It seems like those are the ones who have to go clubbing all the time (at home or on vacation).

I agree, it is extremely rude to complain or make fun of where a person lives. The people who have to be entertained all the time when they come to visit usually don't make a second visit since I don't "entertain" to well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel