U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2013, 10:55 PM

244 posts, read 590,604 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if there is an online map that is based on distance or time travelling? I want to be able to put in my starting location and tell it that I can go 400 miles in one shot. Or that I would like to see how far I could go in 2 hours. Something like that would really help in planning shorter day trips or knowing where I will be stopping for the day.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 11:47 PM

8,631 posts, read 10,502,403 times
With MapQuest you enter the destination and where you are leaving from. That tells you the mileage and the time. That's the only online map I use.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:49 PM

35,104 posts, read 44,366,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakread2 View Post
Does anyone know if there is an online map that is based on distance or time travelling? I want to be able to put in my starting location and tell it that I can go 400 miles in one shot. Or that I would like to see how far I could go in 2 hours. Something like that would really help in planning shorter day trips or knowing where I will be stopping for the day.

Maps are from one city limit to the next which gives you the distance and most any online map will give you a time frame. Try google maps, works great for me. Keep in mind the time frame given is according to the posted speed limit for that particular route.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:07 AM

2,701 posts, read 3,461,512 times
I don't know of a website that will show you a map of how far you can go from a given location in 2 hours, but try this one for a map that will show you what's in a given radius of your location, like a 200-mile radius for example: Radius Around a Point on a Map

Old 08-08-2013, 02:44 PM

244 posts, read 590,604 times
Thanks WellShoneMoon. That might work the best. I'm just trying to figure out things like day trips for my son, so I may not have a certain destination in mind.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:41 PM

4,867 posts, read 3,219,362 times
I've looked for the same thing and had no luck. The way the maps are set up now, you have to know the city you are going to and then check the distance/time.

I'm planning a trip and I'm trying to figure out how far I will get if I leave work at 4:00 pm and drive for 5-6 hours. I have to guess on a city and check it. Nope, 7 hours, try a city closer.

I'd love to hear the answer if you find it.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:11 PM

9,230 posts, read 18,569,712 times
California Central Valley Interesting Things To Do

Found this site, most of these will be 1 tank trips.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:06 PM

4,402 posts, read 12,438,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakread2 View Post
Google maps. Put in the start and the destination and them you can move the little points to different areas on the map.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:50 PM

27 posts, read 50,508 times
Maybe try Roadtrippers.com It's not exactly what you are looking for but if you add places to a trip it shows you how long it takes to get there. Might make it little easier to see what is 2 hours away.

Another thing I'd suggest trying is add big cities that are you think are about the distance away and make a perimeter of places that are within 2 hours. Not as easy as you'd like but it might help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel