U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 11:39 AM

1,740 posts, read 4,072,739 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever stayed in a Super 8 Motel? I'm going to a wedding in Cinnaminson, NJ and I might stay at the Super 8 in Mount Laurel. The rate is very good but I'm concerned about cleanliness.
Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 11:41 AM

35,103 posts, read 46,247,205 times
Read the reviews by customers for that particular Super 8. We stay in them all the time without issue but we have never stayed in one in that area.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:45 AM

38,704 posts, read 95,613,191 times
Quality of hotels can vary greatly even within a specific chain. I've stayed at Super 8's and they've generally been little more than a place to sleep and keep your stuff while you're out doing whatever it is you're doing. Seeing how that's pretty much all I want/need from a hotel, they've been fine for my needs.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:47 AM

7,721 posts, read 12,383,336 times
Super 8 has fallen off a lot in the last decade or so. They're still ok, but the quality can be hit-or-miss. I'd definitely check the reviews for the site in question.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:09 PM

77,807 posts, read 94,633,642 times
Much depends on the location and what you expect. We stayed at 2 different ones, about 10 years ago and neither was a positive experience, but for the money and the time we were in our room they were ok. Both were clean, both were spacious enough, but neither had any amenities at all and one didn't even have an elevator. So, just remember you generally get what you pay for, but you will survive. We have stayed in worse...

Old 08-19-2013, 06:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
36,361 posts, read 66,135,624 times
The free breakfast is not enough reason to stay there. We had good luck at two but the 3rd, in Salem OR was a nightmare. Like all chains some are better than others, but at the low end the worse ones are far worse. Still better than Motel 6. Glad we can afford to spend a little more now, though we also use VRBO a lot and stay at homes or condos for not that much more.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:02 PM

9,082 posts, read 11,292,142 times
I've always had good luck with Super 8. I agree, read the reviews for that particular one.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:29 PM

17,223 posts, read 23,096,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I've always had good luck with Super 8. I agree, read the reviews for that particular one.

Yes, agree with everyone here.

Was a Motel 6 guy (limited finances) but if there is a Super 8 nearby I prefer it for a few reasons. The main reason is--BIGNESS! I'm 6'6" and I can't do small beds. Do check the different sites such as Yelp and Trip Advisor. There are bound to be a few people with sour grape type complaints but for the most part I found the comments to be useful.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:22 PM

42,082 posts, read 55,041,358 times
We just stayed in a Super 8 in WI and it was just a step up from a Motel 6. We checked the reviews, 1/2 gave it a high rating of 5 stars, the other half gave it a low rating of 1 star. No one gave rating in between. There were30 some reviews.
This particular one the room was small with one lumpy queen bed. The TV was the old CRT and did not work 1/2 the time. The toilet was the tiniest I've ever seen. The hallways smelled horribly. The parking lot needed holes filled and re-pavement. The cost was $85.00 per night.

The next night we found a Best Western, same price ($85.00) but 100% nicer, a larger room with 2 king beds, new 42 inch LCD TV, coffee maker, refrigerator, microwave, clothes cabinet, huge bathroom with a standard size toilet and super clean. Breakfast area was nice too with a good selection. Parking lot was lit and newly repaved with plenty of secured parking spots.

W'eve stayed in some Super 8's in the past and they were much better than this one and were in the $45.00 to $50.00 range for single queen bed.

Checking the reviews as other stated is a good start, but those can be unreliable also. In some cases when we've arrived we've asked to see the room before we made a commitment. So it can at times be a crapshoot.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:28 PM

15,470 posts, read 26,938,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
Has anyone ever stayed in a Super 8 Motel? I'm going to a wedding in Cinnaminson, NJ and I might stay at the Super 8 in Mount Laurel. The rate is very good but I'm concerned about cleanliness.
Thanks.

I have had really good luck with the many Super 8s that I have stayed at in the Midwest. Most have been super clean, free internet access, and a full cable selection. They are a lot better value than the Marriott Fairfield Inns.

Having said that, the ones in Buffalo, NY were the worst of the chain. I was almost afraid that as I walked across the floor, that my foot would break through the floor. In all fairness, I have never found a decent hotel in Buffalo at any price.

Check the Trip Adviser reviews as they are somewhat accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel