Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 01:24 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,314,963 times

Advertisements

Keep popping Dramamine and sleep the whole way. That was me from Norfolk to Kuwait. Best flight ever. Really need an open seat beside you to make this the best. Or a good travel pillow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 05:34 AM

51,648 posts, read 25,803,785 times
Bring one of those buckwheat neck pillows. They support your head so you don't end up with neck pain at the end and make sleeping so much easier.

The tablet is a great idea. Talking with interesting seatmates. Reading. Watching movies. Walking around.

On long flights, I like to meditate on life goals. Get in the zone and ponder.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:54 AM

984 posts, read 2,711,732 times
I use this site to help choose a seat. There are some planes that don't have charging ports on all seats.
The Ultimate Guide to In-Seat Laptop Powerports

Also gives tips for choosing seats for other reasons.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:58 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,991,150 times
I watch whatever movies are being shown, take a couple of natural sleep aids like valerian root and melatonin and pass out. I've also tried this product called Dream Water that worked well. It comes in a little shot, like those awful five hour energy drinks.

I don't feel comfort mixing medication with alcohol, so the natural stuff is better. Oh, forgot to mention I do have a few drinks as well!

Old 08-26-2013, 08:03 AM

741 posts, read 1,288,300 times
1. Sleep if you can!
2. Slim paperback book if you don't have a ereader or want to worry about batteries
3. Slim volume of number/crossword puzzles or word puzzles with erasable pen
4. Find out if your plane has one of those personal entertainment systems, I spend whole flights just watching a few movies. Bring your own earphones if you have room in your carry-on
5. One long flight I brought a notebook and wrote personal notes to my family members to tuck into their holiday cards later that year. When I got to my destination I mailed the notebook back to my house since I didn't want to spend the return flight doing the same thing.
6. Similar to above, bring a note book and compose a few notes to your kids if you have any.
7. Write down stories from your childhood/family stories, start your own little archive.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:39 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,884,085 times
I've done my share of long flights. It has a pattern set by the airlines - meals (i.e. dinner) about an hour after taking off, lights out, meals (i.e breakfast) about 2 hours before landing. Some times there is a snack in between. The crew dims the cabin lights, I would assume to induce sleep so that they are not bothered, and at that point I would say 90% of the passengers seem to go to sleep. Seriously. Reading lights are out, if it's daylight outside all the windows will be shut.

Now must airlines now have a fairly good VOD system so you have a choice of dozens, possible hundreds of movies and TV shows to watch, and games as well. There is also reading and, for your IPODs, some airlines, not all, have usb power ports.

But trust me - you will sleep most of the way, the cabin black-out will induce it, or, like me I don't really sleep but I listen to music and headphones and go into a zombie like state sort of half way in and out of sleep. You simply can't watch movies or read for 10 hours.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:03 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
I bring a half dozen magazines and give them to the flight attendants as I finish them. My long hauls have all been in business/first, so I've had ample IFE at my disposal, plus my iPhone. There has always been either a 110 outlet or a USB port for charging. I read, sleep, eat, have a few drinks, watch a little TV or a movie, and repeat.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:07 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
after being stuck with uninteresting seatmates one too many times, I now provide a script that I can give to them that will make their lives more interesting for me to converse with them. My last seatmate was assigned to be an Industrial Financier involved with smuggling opiates on the side who spoke with a lisp and had a pronounced face twitch due to be shot in the head by the Khmer Rouge. In truth she was a 77-year-old woman going to see her grandson's graduation from dental school but she played along just fine (even ad-libbing a saucy tale about Imelda Marcos) once I bought her a couple of Bloody Mary's.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:42 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,004,955 times
What airline? What Route? What airplane if you know?

It is very likely that your seat will have a personal television set in it. You will be able to chose from hundreds of movies and tv shows, music, moving maps, documentaries, and games on that in seat television.

Besides for that:
Sleep, Read, walk around, I have an ipad which battery will last around 7-9 hours so I could watch movies on that, play the games, listen to music. I almost always get a window seat so I usually enjoy the view too.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:59 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,725,858 times
I used to fly back and forth from Malaysia a lot so I'm I developed a pretty good routine. Red Bull Red Bull Red Bull Red Bull Red Bull Red Bull Red Bull followed by Wine Wine Wine Wine Wine Wine Wine Wine. Stay awake for the first half and sleep for the second half of the flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel