Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 12:33 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Keep popping Dramamine and sleep the whole way. That was me from Norfolk to Kuwait. Best flight ever. Really need an open seat beside you to make this the best. Or a good travel pillow?
Not if you take enough of it! I take my Tylenol PM's on long trips and the only time I'm awakened is by someone nudging me, complaining if I snore!

I also take crossword puzzle books along and I always take night flights!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 12:47 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
thanks for all the suggestions, and i am open for more, now that my return flight to the US will be in winter. hopefully i won't be hit with delays due to weather, but i'm expecting the worst.

whereas i was on philippine airlines on my trip to the philippines, this time i'll be flying united. it had the cheapest flight with the most reasonable flight and layover times. will be going through guam, then houston (tx) before making my last trip to austin. unfortunately, all the window seats were booked on my guam to houston flight i just picked an aisle seat. anyone's experience with united on such long-haul flights? how are their entertainment systems like? do they have charging ports on their economy seats? do they provide blankets and pillows? how's the food/drinks?
I haven't traveled long distance with United, only 3-4 hour flights (which I do at least twice a year), but I come prepared, because they don't have blankets available anymore, at least not on shorter flights, and I have yet to travel on a United flight that isn't chilly. I bought one of those lightweight throws (big US airports usually have them, but who knows whether they're available where you are), and that little throw has made a huge difference in my comfort level. It hardly takes up any space in the carry-on. As for pillows, I would recommend one of those foam/stuffed half donuts or whatever they call them. That really works. And an aisle seat is a good idea, especially if the plane is a 3x3 seats layout.

These days you'll be paying for drinks in flight except for water, basic sodas and coffee (maybe also wine and beer on long-distance flights). I assume United doesn't serve food anymore, either--be prepared to pay for a snack/sandwich box in flight, or simply buy a sandwich or some other handy lunch-type food in the airport and take along, and once you're past security, absolutely buy a bottle of water.

One piece of advice that pops up often here is to take sleep-inducing medication. To each his/her own, but I would never do that. In case of an emergency you need to be able to wake up quickly and stay sharp. I'd rather keep my wits about me, and pay the price of boredom on the flight, and jetlag later on (which is alleviated by Melatonin). But if you follow the to-do lists that other experienced travelers have prepared for you here (take notes, write stories, read e-books, sleep some, play games on your smartphone, snack, watch a movie, etc.) then time will pass more quickly than you think.

Have a safe trip!

Old 12-26-2013, 05:49 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,427,518 times
Drugs and alcohol

Old 12-26-2013, 07:09 PM

1,161 posts, read 2,448,179 times
The OP is flying an international flight into the US. He will have plenty of free food and drinks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post

These days you'll be paying for drinks in flight except for water, basic sodas and coffee (maybe also wine and beer on long-distance flights). I assume United doesn't serve food anymore, either--be prepared to pay for a snack/sandwich box in flight, or simply buy a sandwich or some other handy lunch-type food in the airport and take along, and once you're past security, absolutely buy a bottle of water.

Have a safe trip!

Old 12-27-2013, 04:44 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
My flight to India felt faster than some domestic flights, simply because I was prepared for such a long trip. However I got pretty lucky because I was on a Boeing777 with the entire row free so I could lay down like a bed.

However, on the way there.. I just watched a bunch of movies.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:46 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Drugs and alcohol
I feel like a lot of alcohol would make a long haul flight pretty terrible.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:05 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
The OP is flying an international flight into the US. He will have plenty of free food and drinks.
I realize that, but I usually fly United and transfer to a European international airline, and very little is free on domestic United flights. Good to know they're less stingy with food and drinks on international flights!

Old 12-28-2013, 02:46 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,354,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I realize that, but I usually fly United and transfer to a European international airline, and very little is free on domestic United flights. Good to know they're less stingy with food and drinks on international flights!

well, now that that flight with united is done with, here's a few things i could say with flying home to the philippines and getting back to the US (phil. airlines on my way to the philippines, united from manila to austin):

1. philippine airlines certainly had better amenities and services than united on long-haul flights (better wi-fi and entertainment systems, better seats, more accommodating attendants...) at least with their economy seats. the "wi-fi" on united meant access only to their entertainment system, no internet access whatsoever. united didn't have the built-in tv behind the seat that phil. airlines has, but of course it also has its pros and cons.

2. on the shorter international flight (6 hours from guam to hawaii), we were served two free meals on top of the free basic drinks. on the longer one (10 hours from hawaii to houston), only drinks were free.

3. united indicated a stop in hawaii (not a layover, just a stop) in the "nonstop" flight from guam to houston. they didnt indicate that the stop will involve rechecking of the bags and another check with immigration after the customs check in guam. of course, for the well-travelled, this is probably nothing.

4. blankets and pillows were free on both airlines, but phil. airlines also gave free socks and hygiene kits to all passengers

Old 12-30-2013, 11:48 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,890 times
I've taken a couple of nonstop flights from the US over to Asia. They were usually around 18 hours. What to do? Most of the planes on those types of international routes have good entertainment systems. The seatback in front of you should have a entertainment screen with many movies and TV shows available. If nothing else, you could watch movies nonstop for 18 hours. Of course, they usually feed you three or four times during the flight, so that also kills some time. Some people seem to actually be able to sleep.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:36 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,354,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
I've taken a couple of nonstop flights from the US over to Asia. They were usually around 18 hours. What to do? Most of the planes on those types of international routes have good entertainment systems. The seatback in front of you should have a entertainment screen with many movies and TV shows available. If nothing else, you could watch movies nonstop for 18 hours. Of course, they usually feed you three or four times during the flight, so that also kills some time. Some people seem to actually be able to sleep.
not sure if you read my post above yours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel