U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2013, 09:04 AM

912 posts, read 1,345,856 times

Advertisements

I searched the forum a few different ways and I didn't find anything on this subject, so I apologize if it's been covered here before.

When you go to an all inclusive resort, do you tip? If so, when (on average) and how much?

My husband and I are heading to an AI soon and I'm starting to think about how much tip money to bring with us, so I thought I'd ask for other opinions.

We do tip -- not a ton at a time, but consistently. In our experience, we haven't gotten treated any differently to those who don't tip, but it just feels right (for us) to tip the people who work really hard to make sure we're relaxed on our trips.

I was talking to a friend of mine about this the other day, and before I could say anything about our own tipping habits, she expressed her annoyance that anyone tips while at an AI, because it "ruins" the experience for everyone else. I had never heard it expressed that way, so it surprised me.

So...what do you do?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 11:33 AM

13,746 posts, read 22,606,835 times
We've given up on AIs, but have tried enough to have some experience with the tipping protocol. We did tip the bellhops, the housekeepers, and at the restaurants that were available for a surcharge. We also tipped the beach guys who set up the chairs and brought drinks.

We did not leave tips at the buffet restaurants, and rarely at the bar.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:07 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,560,296 times
Me and my wife's honeymoon was all-inclusive and we did tip. When we were at the swim up pool bar we knew to just tip $5 the very first round and your hooked with the bartenders almost all day. Even when it was busy as soon as one of us came to the bar they'd fill us up first. When eating at one of the restaurants.. we'd always tip as well. Although it's AI these bartenders and waiter/waitresses are still working for tips...

Besides... our AI was paid long before our honeymoon so to bring $50 - $100 along with us for tips for the entire week with all the food and drinks we had.... it was a no-brainer for us to do so.

Just my opinion... =)

Old 08-29-2013, 12:13 PM

9,093 posts, read 17,375,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswanlady View Post
II was talking to a friend of mine about this the other day, and before I could say anything about our own tipping habits, she expressed her annoyance that anyone tips while at an AI, because it "ruins" the experience for everyone else. I had never heard it expressed that way, so it surprised me.
It sounds like everyone else wants you to compensate for their own insecurity .... after all, if they are in the "right" what is there to feel bad about?!

I've done the all inclusive thing once and it was a 10 day stay .... we did get to know some of the servers, golf cart shuttle drivers, etc ........ we didn't tip all the time for everything, but we did have some for when people went above & beyond or when we formed a good relationship

We would tip the people who cleaned our room - they did a fantastic job and were very flexible about time, additional requests, etc

We tipped a lot of bar tenders, people who brought us stuff (and subsequently kept us from having to go get it), etc.

One night the guy noticed our honeymoon band and shuttled us to the golf area and helped arrange for us to get a meal at the nicer restaurant there with a great table ... this was included but a place you had to have a little bit more planning and patience to attend, not easy to just walk in

Basically if people went ouf their way to provide great service and really enhance our stay we showed gratitude..... things that were what we felt to be pretty standard and par for the course that should be included we didn't

Old 08-30-2013, 06:54 AM

77,813 posts, read 91,466,897 times
We haven't done an all inclusive for years so I don't know if the policies have changed, but we normally did not tip. It was explained, some will not even let the help receive tips. The exception was, when we stayed in one, in Ocho Rios, we had a full time nanny for our granddaughters plus she did the cleaning, etc. We did tip her daily and it was worth every penny. Boy did we get spoiled. I asked her to please press one of my blouses and she ironing everything I had hanging up. We asked for a bottle of wine and some cheese, she brought 3 bottles of wine and several plates of cheese, fruit and crackers. Then vacation ended and I had to be the nanny, house keeper and shopper again.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:16 AM

6,684 posts, read 7,132,681 times
We tip for the nice restaurants, bell hop, bars, and housekeeping. These people work for a pittance and a few extra dollars can make a tremendous difference in their life. We bring about 50$ in ones.

restaurants 1-3$ depending on level of service

bell hop 1-2$ depending on how many bags we have

bars- 1$ every so often

housekeeping 1-2$ a day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel