Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 01:29 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times

Advertisements

What are some things you don't like that other travelers do when you travel? For there are a few:

1) Shopping.-A little is fine, but a whole day of shopping, not allowed. Especially in an area with lots to do (ie Disney World).
2) Laying by the pool during the day.-That's fine at night if you are in a hot place, but not all day.
3) Spending an entire tropical vacation doing nothing but laying on the beach. The beach is fun, but not to spend an entire vacation on. Especially if you only go to one beach the entire time. At least go to different beaches to lay on.
4) Clubbing/drinking excessively. Booze is available at home, there are better things to spend money on.
5) Eating fancy dinners. This is where it's okay to cut costs, although I'm not saying to eat McDonald's the entire time.

Perhaps this is why I travel alone or with only certain family members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 02:07 PM

244 posts, read 667,518 times
1) Not knowing where you're going. I'm fine with going off the planned road and taking a side trip, but please, at least have a map with you!
2) In that same train of thought, not knowing what you are going to do during the day. That's why you plan! I think that's why people end up laying by the pool all day. They don't know what else to do.
3) People clearly not following the rules, i.e. straying off trail or trying to feed the wildlife. I'm never sure if I should say something or try to find a ranger.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:17 PM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
That's one of the reasons why (beside the financial one)I never travel on package tours or cruises or ClubMed. I'm always vacationing on my own. Indeed , part of the pleasure in traveling is doing the homework (searching on the Net for the interesting places, contacting local renters by e-mail,making the transport reservations, changing money, reading a book or two about the place I'm going to visit, etc) , one feels already on the move! and not having to pay a travel agent saves a significant amount of money!

Old 08-04-2013, 03:25 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakread2 View Post
1) Not knowing where you're going. I'm fine with going off the planned road and taking a side trip, but please, at least have a map with you!
2) In that same train of thought, not knowing what you are going to do during the day. That's why you plan! I think that's why people end up laying by the pool all day. They don't know what else to do.
3) People clearly not following the rules, i.e. straying off trail or trying to feed the wildlife. I'm never sure if I should say something or try to find a ranger.
Number 1 is a big one for me as well. Number 2 is part of the reason why I don't like to travel with big groups. It takes too long for everyone to make up their minds and agree on what to do and it takes some people too long to get ready. Number 3 I've seen too many times on my numerous trips to Yellowstone.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:06 PM

244 posts, read 667,518 times
Number 3 happened to us in Yosemite a couple of months ago We were with our son and these people were trying to give potato chips to a squirrel. I just made sure that my son knew it was wrong by telling we aren't supposed to feed the animals. If the other people overhead me (on accident of course), then hopefully they would get the idea.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:20 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
To each his own as far as what makes a perfect vacation. I'm going to lay on a beach with time out to swim for 10 glorious days in a few weeks. When the sun goes down, I'll be going out for some fancy dinners.

My idea of a vacation is to relax, read, and spend time with my spouse. I had enough of the sightseeing and activities when we had our kids along.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:41 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
It totally depends where you're going. In Scandinavia I would be very price-conscious about dinners out. In Belgium I would splurge.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:47 AM

340 posts, read 523,758 times
Adjacent hotel/motel room noise.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:33 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
What are some things you don't like that other travelers do when you travel? For there are a few:

1) Shopping.-A little is fine, but a whole day of shopping, not allowed. Especially in an area with lots to do (ie Disney World).
2) Laying by the pool during the day.-That's fine at night if you are in a hot place, but not all day.
3) Spending an entire tropical vacation doing nothing but laying on the beach. The beach is fun, but not to spend an entire vacation on. Especially if you only go to one beach the entire time. At least go to different beaches to lay on.
4) Clubbing/drinking excessively. Booze is available at home, there are better things to spend money on.
5) Eating fancy dinners. This is where it's okay to cut costs, although I'm not saying to eat McDonald's the entire time.

Perhaps this is why I travel alone or with only certain family members.
I think balance is the key, Wyo..But with that said, I prefer now just to travel with my wife. in the past I've travelled with others, and that's one thing I don't do well, lol.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:33 PM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Things you don't tolerate from other travelers when vacationing.

Pushing shoving waiting to get on the tour bus.
Pushing shoving waiting to get back on board the ship's tenders.
Pushing shoving at the buffet.
Waiting for the last straggler to get back on the tour bus so we can be on time to the next stop.
Not being courteous to handicapped people.
Loud mouths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel