Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 08:43 PM

32 posts, read 61,460 times

Advertisements

He is a journeyman ironworker, but has done pretty much every kind of construction aside from HVAC stuff. He would prefer to stay in the industrial construction field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 08:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,661 posts, read 57,789,143 times
Definitely stay in the Commercial field. Let his union place him internationally.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:03 PM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 11 days ago)

43,465 posts, read 44,179,710 times
As a child my family lived in different countries as my father was a physics lecturer/researcher at different universities and my mom was a homemaker.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:47 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,536,904 times
What do you do with your apartment in the USA (if you rent) while traveling long term...just keep paying double rent?

Old 05-31-2014, 09:54 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,661 posts, read 57,789,143 times
If you are lucky enough to be a renter instead of a home owner you have smooth sailing to traveling long term.

Sell everything and hit the road. No need to keep a rental apartment Forfeit the lease if that is what it takes. Just hit the road unencumbered.

Other options are plenty (depending on your lease agreement). Chances are very good that a LT trip will have you looking to change from current locale when (if) you ever come home.

Many people who feel they must keep a place... set up autopay, then sublease to a friend.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:45 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,772,693 times
My wife and I, in our 60s, flew into Seoul and eight months late flew out of Dhaka, and just pieced together everything in between. If anything could go wrong (which I doubt), it didn't.

I first met her in Guatemala, and I said "Lets to to Uruguay and see the old cars". That took almost a year. There weren't many old cars left, but still a very impressive few. My favorite was a 1938 Alfa Romeo sedan daily driver. Every day, a few Model T Fords.

Decades ago, we (I and a different wife) flew into Cairo and seven months later flew out of Liberia on a ticket we bought in Jonnannesburg. Again, nothing can go wrong. In all three cases, our cost per month on the ground was less than it would have cost to stay put living in the USA.

So my answer is Yes, Ive done it, and Yes, so can you, and Yes, so should you.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:05 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,536,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
If you are lucky enough to be a renter instead of a home owner you have smooth sailing to traveling long term.

Sell everything and hit the road. No need to keep a rental apartment Forfeit the lease if that is what it takes. Just hit the road unencumbered.

Other options are plenty (depending on your lease agreement). Chances are very good that a LT trip will have you looking to change from current locale when (if) you ever come home.

Many people who feel they must keep a place... set up autopay, then sublease to a friend.
The only problem with this plan is that for most financial matters one needs a real U.S. address (no P.O. boxes allowed).

Otherwise it is a nice fantasy to think about while working!

Old 05-31-2014, 01:15 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,957,428 times
Get a "box" at a "private" post office like the UPS Store. You have a "Street" address then.

Or use one of the Mail Scan/Forwarding services that many Full time RV'ers use.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:12 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,772,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
The only problem with this plan is that for most financial matters one needs a real U.S. address (no P.O. boxes allowed).
Most people have a trusted friend or relative who can, at the very least, receive their forwarded mail.

It is true that in the land of the free, we are prisoners to a mailing address, but the workaround is not that difficult.

I don't know what those financial maters might be, most, I think, would be automobile-related, but you sell your car before you go, and your drivers license is good for 4-8 years. You can maintain a bank and credit cards in absentia, with direct deposit and online CC payment from your bank. I had no problem, in more than two years in South America, nobody even knew I was gone. I just used a debit card drawn from my balance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel