Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 12:17 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,797,300 times

Advertisements

On the long flight from LAX to IAD (Washington Dulles) I was assigned to a aisle seat and once they shut the aircraft doors I noticed there were a number of empty rows so I moved to a window seat in a row all to my self. I told the man in the middle seat next to me that I was moving and he could take my seat so he could have some extra space between him and the man who was sitting in the window seat he did not know.

After I moved I noticed he was still sitting in the middle seat for the rest of the flight. This made me curious. Why wouldn't he move to the aisle so he could have more room and the man at the window could have more room too? If I were the man at the window seat I would insist that the stranger sitting next to him at the aisle move to the aisle seat I had given up.

In fact I noticed that even though there were a number of empty rows most people who were sitting in the middle did not move. Even if I were traveling with friends or relatives I would have moved to give myself more space?

Would you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 12:24 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,012,251 times
Yes, as soon as I could...

Old 04-11-2014, 12:34 PM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
On the long flight from LAX to IAD (Washington Dulles) I was assigned to a aisle seat and once they shut the aircraft doors I noticed there were a number of empty rows so I moved to a window seat in a row all to my self. I told the man in the middle seat next to me that I was moving and he could take my seat so he could have some extra space between him and the man who was sitting in the window seat he did not know.

After I moved I noticed he was still sitting in the middle seat for the rest of the flight. This made me curious. Why wouldn't he move to the aisle so he could have more room and the man at the window could have more room too? If I were the man at the window seat I would insist that the stranger sitting next to him at the aisle move to the aisle seat I had given up.

In fact I noticed that even though there were a number of empty rows most people who were sitting in the middle did not move. Even if I were traveling with friends or relatives I would have moved to give myself more space?

Would you?
I would move, too. But probably not if you presented the attitude that I've bolded above. Sorry, but you haven't the right to insist that I move.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:39 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
If I were the man at the window seat I would insist that the stranger sitting next to him at the aisle move to the aisle seat I had given up.

I would have told you to KMA

Old 04-11-2014, 12:59 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,277,314 times
Quote:
If I were the man at the window seat I would insist that the stranger sitting next to him at the aisle move to the aisle seat I had given up.
You might find you have far better results if you REQUEST they move.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:12 PM

217 posts, read 326,188 times
I would love to have a row to myself. It'd be like finding a unicorn.

If the guy doesn't want to move over, he's entitled not to move over. Maybe he's superstitious or maybe he has a disability. If the guy next to the man sitting in the middle wanted the man in the middle to move over he could ask him himself. It's nothing you need to worry about. Just enjoy your extra flying space.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:47 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,887,822 times
Quote:

Would you?
Its rude to say to a person to move.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:01 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,752,781 times
Maybe, like me , he hates aisle seats because of all the traffic from attendants, kids needing to go to the bathroom, food service. Middle seat with row to myself sound like heaven to me!

Old 04-11-2014, 02:18 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
I don't know what airline you are flying but it has been YEARS since I've been on a plane and there were multiple empty seats. Empty rows? I agree Unicorn.

Literally years, since right after September 11, 2001.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:34 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,374,136 times
Hard to say since I've not been on a flight that wasn't completely full since 1982.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel