Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 03:50 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,568 times

Advertisements

I live in Boise and want to visit my parents near Seattle. They are giving me an old truck they don't need anymore, so I'll be driving back. Ideally I'd like to do it before winter arrives because there are a couple of passes that can get nasty in bad weather on the route.

I'm self-employed and can work from anywhere, so my dates are flexible and flying at the last minute isn't a problem. I'd like to pay no more than $100 for the ticket, but I'm not sure how to go about finding the super cheap last-minute fares I've heard about.

Can anyone offer some pointers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 03:56 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
Super Cheap and Last Minute don't go together any more.

Airline yield management software is so good now, that there are very few empty seats (load factor over 90%) most of the time. The few seats that hold back they can get a premium price for, or send the plane out with a few empty seats. The money they would get for last minute seats would not be worth it for them if they sold them as liquidation prices, cause the Last minute high price buyers would be the one getting them, The AL want to sell them a super overpriced last minute ticket. For 1 Last minute ticket sale, they can send out a plane with 4 empty seats and the $'s would be the same.

Just look SouthWest as a bunch of tickets in the $80/90 range OW..

Old 10-01-2013, 04:19 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,568 times
Thanks.

I've made the flight round trip on Southwest before and their service was good so I'll probably end up doing that.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:08 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Wait for s Southwest Airlines sale and buy a one way ticket. The cheapest times to fly are Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and midday on Saturday OFF_SEASON.

The advantage of Southwest is that there are no change fees if you cannot make the flight AND cancel.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:23 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Some airlines offer very reduced prices on busy holidays, on the actual holiday when nobody flies, but they still have to move the equipment. A decade or so ago, American Airlines offered flights to any domestic destination for $59, OW or RT, on Memorial Day and Labor Day. My wife used that a couple of times, once oneway from Miami to Detroit. There were so many empty seats and little prospect of selling them. If you still haven't flown by Thanksgiving, keep that in mind.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
1) I use the 'low fare calender' at SWA or other carriers.

2) sign up for weekly email specials from carriers in BOI (You have quite a few who frequent SEA)

3) use Airfarewatchdog to alert you to a cheap fare on your designated rte.

I have got some really cheap last minute fares from legacy carriers that want to fill space(this coming weekend in fact). Just search a bit. You can also use PDX and get a ride to SEA area. I do that frequently on CL. There is a very handy I-5 NB and SB rideshare that links to CL.

SWA is my favorite and I often take them one way to pick up a 'Beater' (tool boxes, coolers & sleeping bags fly free on SWA). Of course with SWA you can 'rebook' for free if the weather turns nasty. Other carriers you might Forfeit the fare. BTDT many times

Old 10-03-2013, 09:24 AM

2,636 posts, read 7,431,255 times
Skyscanner.com .

Old 10-03-2013, 10:52 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
go to AirFareWatchDog.com and subscribe to get the low fares they find for the route you want. They include SW in their searches, which are done by humans, not engines.

but when you get that email telling you there's a sale, jump on it immediately.

Otherwise, SWA.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:00 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Check KAYAK - Cheap Flights, Hotels, Airline Tickets, Cheap Tickets, Cheap Travel Deals - Compare Hundreds of Travel Sites At Once .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel