Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 11:23 AM

4 posts, read 5,511 times

Advertisements

Driving loaded 13yearold benz suv and uhaul-hitch-trailer from eastern pennsylvania to salt lake city in two or three weeks.

How can i best avoid winter driving issues?

Southern interstate routes all seem to end up making you take i-15 north quite a ways out west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 12:29 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
Watch the weather and go when it look good for a few days.

Going south will add about 10-12 hours more of driving

Old 10-10-2013, 06:55 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,736 times
I-70 through Colorado will take you over two mountain passes, snow is falling right now, it may be dry and sunny for your trip, always check the local road conditions. Personally I would take I-80 if the weather is good, no mountain passes and easier grades, but if it's windy it's really windy in Wyoming.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
I-70 through Colorado will take you over two mountain passes, snow is falling right now, it may be dry and sunny for your trip, always check the local road conditions. Personally I would take I-80 if the weather is good, no mountain passes and easier grades, but if it's windy it's really windy in Wyoming.
SO you're very familiar with I80 and it really has NO mountain passes and comfortable grades all the way to SLC? This topographical data is the kind of thing I was not able to find elsewhere. Thanks

Old 10-10-2013, 07:48 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Hi, Slim. I would suggest you take a look at this thread on the Utah forum, where a similar topic is currently being discussed. You'll probably pick up a few good tips from it.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:00 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudslideslim View Post
SO you're very familiar with I80 and it really has NO mountain passes and comfortable grades all the way to SLC? This topographical data is the kind of thing I was not able to find elsewhere. Thanks
No passes through Wyoming. I have haven't taken it all the way into Salt Lake so I'm not sure about the Utah portion but I think is pretty tame compared to I-70 through the mountains. Best to check the Utah forum for that part.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:03 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Quote:
No passes through Wyoming. I have haven't taken it all the way into Salt Lake so I'm not sure about the Utah portion but I think is pretty tame compared to I-70 through the mountains. Best to check the Utah forum for that part.
Correct. The steepest grade on I-80 in Wyoming is eastbound between Laramie and Cheyenne. Since the OP is headed west, that'll be downhill. 80 crosses the continental divide twice in Wyoming (Great Divide Basin), but the crossings are both low and don't have much in the way of terrain.

I-80 is easier and less crowded than I-70 - unless it's snowing. Then I-80 can be a real drag. The wind can whip up ground blizzards pretty easily.

If the OP is worried about coming through the Wasatch Range on I-80, there's always I-84 into Ogden/Roy, and I-15 South into SLC.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much. One last thing: any suggestions how would I get a pretty reliable idea of conditions along the route before I leave PA?

Old 10-10-2013, 09:01 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
Try 511 on your Cell, most state have that as traffic info line as you go along

weather.com has the snow/interstate forcast.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:45 AM

Default Driving from Eastern PA to Salt Lake City in 3 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Correct. The steepest grade on I-80 in Wyoming is eastbound between Laramie and Cheyenne. Since the OP is headed west, that'll be downhill. 80 crosses the continental divide twice in Wyoming (Great Divide Basin), but the crossings are both low and don't have much in the way of terrain.

I-80 is easier and less crowded than I-70 - unless it's snowing. Then I-80 can be a real drag. The wind can whip up ground blizzards pretty easily.

If the OP is worried about coming through the Wasatch Range on I-80, there's always I-84 into Ogden/Roy, and I-15 South into SLC.

Thanks. I'm guessing I'm the OP (other poster?).

I would be concerned about coming through ANY mountain areas I can avoid. When you mention the Wasatch Range, is that the only range on 80 East. And do you know of a good site that will allow me to see the topography of I80 and the other interstates as they go west?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel