Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2007, 08:33 AM

781 posts, read 3,816,545 times

Advertisements

Disregard question..........They found it at the airport and it was delivered to the house.

Last edited by martinez4; 11-21-2007 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: moot point now:-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 09:11 AM

122 posts, read 347,129 times
Gosh, and here I was thinking here's a place to share "lost luggage" tales.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:18 AM

27,343 posts, read 27,395,534 times
I was gonna say.........thats only happened to me once but then, thats because I changed flights after checking in my stuff.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:23 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bels7 View Post
Gosh, and here I was thinking here's a place to share "lost luggage" tales.
LOL!!!! My own kids now have luggage that qualifies as "carry on" size after all of our luggage got lost one time. They have a horrible fear of it getting lost now. My husband just about refuses to carry anything on but knows we have to. Of course on the one trip were all of the luggage got lost but 2 pieces it was HIS that did not get lost. I was like, "UM, we are AT THE BEACH. You are a GUY! We can stop in ANY souviner store and get you a pair of trunks, flip-flops and be set. Meanwhile THREE FEMALES are w/out ANY luggage." Minus the carry-on that I had that contained more medicine than clothes.

BTW, the insurance on lost luggage is worthless. It only pays if the luggage is not found after something like a year (I'm exaggerating on the length but it is rather long). Up to $1000 and that is about it. So if your luggage is lost upon your arrival to a vacation destination and you have to go out and buy stuff to get you thru it will not cover it. They have PLENTY of time to "find" your luggage.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:39 AM

781 posts, read 3,816,545 times
Thanks for all the responses:-)

Since it is so hard these days to carry on anything because of the size restrictions....3oz....come on, I have teenagers and hair products, face stuff, perfume/after shaves....etc!!!!!!

I just got off the phone with him and told him on the way back to put anything irreplaceable in a seperate bad and carry it on....this way I won't be up all night again if it is just some t-shirts, jeans and shoes.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:08 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez4 View Post
Thanks for all the responses:-)

Since it is so hard these days to carry on anything because of the size restrictions....3oz....come on, I have teenagers and hair products, face stuff, perfume/after shaves....etc!!!!!!

I just got off the phone with him and told him on the way back to put anything irreplaceable in a seperate bad and carry it on....this way I won't be up all night again if it is just some t-shirts, jeans and shoes.
I so feel your pain. When our luggage got lost on that trip (Summer 2005) my oldest had just returned from church camp the week before. She LOST her bag of DIRTY clothes. YUCK!!! and YIKES!!!! I had already gone and bought a few new pieces especially swimsuits since she had taken them to camp w/ her and were in the dirty clothes bag (a plastic bag at that - ew). So we get to Florida and our luggage is not there and neither was over 1/2 the planes luggage. I really felt sorry for the people going on a cruise. That HAD to stink as they could not go to a Target like I could. We all sat there at the airport waiting on the next plane. You should have seen the look on the faces of the people that came around the corner from THAT plane when they saw us still waiting. LOL!!! My hubbies luggage showed up but not ours. So we head to the long line to fill out the reports. Left the airport and got some lunch where my husband said he thought I would be THRILLED to be able to go shopping for new clothes there. Um, NO! I don't want to have to replace EVERYTHING I had in my suitcase for a week and a half stay, YIKES! A friend called while there to see if we actually went (this was during the hurricanes then) and when I told her our luggage was missing she cracked up w/ me laughing. Checked into our hotel and peddled around. Went to dinner and then back to the airport before it was too late to go shopping for replacements. FINALLY my luggage along w/ my youngest daughters luggage had showed up. But not the one that already was missing a whole bag of clothes. So off to Target we go. Bought her some pj's, 2 pairs of shorts and shirts, panties, swimsuit and a pair of flip-flops. Tried to find stuff on sale. It was another day before her suitcase showed up. And that missing bag from camp, they found it and we got it two weeks later. Remember, it was wet dirty clothes and in a plasatic bag for 4 weeks. EWWWWWW!

This summer our luggage did not make our connection thru Atlanta on a trip to Myrtle Beach. They were SOOOOO easy to deal with on it. The guy at the ticket counter looked it up and said it was on the next flight, took our contact phone numbers, hotel info and said they would deliver it. I told the front desk at the condo and they told us if we were not there when it came they would take care of it. While eating dinner the driver called to say he was headed our way w/ all of our luggage and wanted to know if we were there. Nope, but the front desk knows and will take it. They recognized us when we walked back in and had it for us.

Another thing we learned this year on another trip. If you check in for your flight and they say it is running late and you may not make your connection - DO NOT LET THEM JUST CHECK YOUR LUGGAGE THRU TO THE CONNECTION CITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I even asked if we got to our connection city if the plane was still there could we get on it. Of course they said yes and we still had our seats on it but they also put us on the flight for the next day. We got to the connection airport, ran to the gate and the plane was still there and not even boarded. I asked about our luggage as the counter agent at the start location had only checked it thru to there not our destination. Sorry. No one would help us get our luggage at all so we could have gotten on the plane and gone to Mexico w/ no luggage and they probably would not have gotten it to us. Or gone and claimed our luggage, stayed the night and gone on the flight the next day. We stayed because of our luggage, wasted a already paid for $500 night room in Mexico, spent money in a place we did not want to be even though they paid for the hotel, took up over half the day the next day just getting to Mexico, etc. Hubby says next time he is just getting on the plane and they can ship our luggage to us. I doubt they would since it was international. If they agent would have put our luggage all the way thru to start with we could have made our connection.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:08 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
This is why I *only* do a carry-on backpack for international flights. I simply pack enough clothes for 4-5 days,wash a thing or two in the sink, and perhaps use a laundry service once.

Domestic travel can involve checking luggage because I'm usually going to a wedding or some such thing, but I try to do carry-on if I can.

Lost luggage can really be a bummer, and it's getting worse and worse. I know of one girl who never did get her luggage back. It was at the end of her months-long trip and full of sentimental treasures. Yes, they are just things, but it sure is disappointing to pay for a service and have it be so royally screwed up.

I have heard of people shipping their luggage internationally but they might be cracking down on it. It's pricey, but maybe the peace of mind is worth it.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:04 AM

1 posts, read 3,517 times
Default Re:

Recently I suffered very badly from lost luggage but now I have found this site globalbagtag.com, And it has given me a bit of extra peace of mind whenever I travel. Has anyone else also used them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel