Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 09:22 PM

1,846 posts, read 2,043,938 times

Advertisements

I just finished planning Arches, Dead Horse, and Canyon lands. I have covered them pretty well except for canyonlands where I am restricted because of the lack of a 4x4. I don't mind though since I visit Colorado often in November.

Bryce, Grand Staircase Escalante NP, and Zion is my next destination to plan out. I know I want to do the great subway, the narrows, and angels landing in Zion. I wonder if I start early in the day if I could knock out two of these hikes in one day. Any suggestions for this area specifically? I am going to go down Route 12 because I heard it is amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 03:14 PM

I was thinking of getting a helicopter ride to see the Grand Canyon. Is this worth the money? If so can you recommend some good companies?

Old 11-13-2013, 07:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,985,728 times
Well worth the time and money (outside the park operators). (especially to avoid driving there!!! Few days time and fuel). Get recent reviews from Yelp or similar.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:24 AM

Excellent! I am still hiking to Supai to go towards Havasu falls which will eat up 2 days but supposedly it is well worth it. I will leave hiking into the Grand Canyon floor for another time.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:55 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooplaman View Post
I was thinking of getting a helicopter ride to see the Grand Canyon. Is this worth the money? If so can you recommend some good companies?
If you only take one helicopter ride in your whole life, make it a scenic one over the Grand Canyon. I took one in Kauai which was fantastic and well worth the money, but it seems that the GC would be even better… Many of them take you below the rim and everything. Do it if you can.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:39 AM

50 posts, read 110,934 times
If your in Zion canyon take a side trip to the north rim of the Grand Canyon and if you like driving then drive to the south rim by way of Lees Ferry -Vermillion Cliffs .Pull in to Lees Ferry you can drive right down to the Colorado river wher the raft go through the canyon get out feel how cold the water is

Old 11-15-2013, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell1949 View Post
If your in Zion canyon take a side trip to the north rim of the Grand Canyon and if you like driving then drive to the south rim by way of Lees Ferry -Vermillion Cliffs .Pull in to Lees Ferry you can drive right down to the Colorado river wher the raft go through the canyon get out feel how cold the water is
How long does it take to get to Lees Ferry-Vermillion cliffs from Zion NP? Also is it close to Page?

I might go see the north rim if I have time but most likely I am going to focus on Zion NP. I don't want to be rushing too much this whole trip.

Going to stay one night in page and jetski the whole day on the lake. Probably the best way to get around economically on the lake and have some fun. I have always wanted to do some wakeboarding!!!

Last edited by hooplaman; 11-15-2013 at 07:22 AM..

Old 11-15-2013, 03:05 PM

50 posts, read 110,934 times
When you go to Zion which way are you coming from Las Vegas-Salt Lake City-Phoenix ? From Zion
Hit the North Rim of Grand Canyon think it's the lodge or angle something then head to Page you will go by Vermillion cliffs which is just an area then you will hit Lee's Ferry go to the board or raft ramp get out walk around feel the water. Then head to Page about 30 to 45 min away when in page check out glen canyon dam . It's a nice drive better than just going from Zion to page and can be easily done as a day trip. I drive from Phoenix to Zion St George and the to Vegas in a long days drive

Old 11-16-2013, 09:12 AM

7,377 posts, read 12,657,494 times
Everything is surprisingly close, and worth the drive. See Zion, then stay overnight in Kanaab, a really charming little Western town (Western movie festival a weekend in August), and a museum with displays from various movies including The Outlaw Josey Wales, plus maps for self-guided tours. If you like dogs, visit the Best Friends sanctuary. If you like Western movies, Kanaab is worth spending a day. Next day you can drive down to the North Rim. The hiking trail is on the rim, and not as extensive as the South Rim, so you need not spend more than a couple hours unless you want to catch the sunset. Then double back to the road taking you south of the Paria Plateau/Vermillion Cliffs, unfamiliar to most tourists, but utterly spectacular. Go up Marble Canyon to Lee's Ferry, and further up to Page. Catch a boat ride to the Rainbow Bridge, otherwise inaccessible. In the summer, with long daylight hours, you can easily make the North Rim to Page in a day. There is an amazing hike (I know you collect hikes!) Into a canyon known as the Swirls, because of the red rock looking like it was poured in swirls; I haven't done it myself, but I believe the access is from the Page side of the Paria Plateau.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:20 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,820,455 times
St. George UT-Flagstaff, AZ was pretty much a full travel day for us last summer. We could have comfortably taken 2 hours or so on the North Rim of the GC but the day before had been a really long day at Bryce, and we wanted to take it kind of easy so we made the decision to skip it. Vermillion Cliffs was a total wonderful surprise for us coming down from the turnoff to the North Rim. (Re Flagstaff- if you're at all geekish, the Lowell Observatory is an interesting way to spend an evening there.)

Note that the main road to Page got taken out by a landslide last winter. Here's a link to AzDOT for the rebuilding process.

Overview
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel