Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 06:04 PM

1,846 posts, read 2,045,240 times

Advertisements

I am going to list the locations below of places I am going to be driving by and you guys let me know what is worth seeing. I have a decent amount of time but I want to be quick, efficient, and see as much as possible.

Things I want to know:
How comfortable will it be to camp in these locations?
Anything cool along the way?
What sort of food should I buy that will last and give me the energy I need to complete all the grueling hikes day after day?
Any camping tips? It is going to be my first time camping but I will camp locally for a day or two to get a good feel for it.

Denver
Colorado National Monument
Arches National Park
Zion National Park
Lake Powell
Grand Canyon
Flagstaff
Phoenix
Hoover Dam(Bypassing Vegas because I can always fly in for cheap in the future)
Los Angeles
Moro Rock
High Sierra Trail
Yosemite National Park
San Francisco
Lake Tahoe
Salt Lake City(Anything worth seeing here?)
Yellowstone National Park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 06:46 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Phoenix, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Salt Lake City are all large urban areas, Flagstaff is a drive thru town up to, or back through, the Grand Canyon. Nothing special unless you like large cities and traffic etc to hassle with. Yes they all have attractions but I'd say you'd need a lot of time to see them all and I'd make a separate trip at a later time for each city.
The other places are a 'must see' adventure. They all are amazing and worth the time. The longer you can stay at each the more you'll apprecaite it.
As far as camping requirements, it's been 60 years since I've camped out so no help there.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:01 PM

In the must see areas what are some attractions I should see there?

Old 11-07-2013, 07:17 PM

I would suggest googling each and you'll probably see that the attraction, the parks, the monuments, the canyon, the arches etal by themselves are the 'must see'. I would add Bryce Canyon to my list, it's not far from Zion and Lake Powell areas. Just gorgeous.
The main thing is not to forget your camera. Those attractions are all beautiful in themselves.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:23 PM

I am taking plenty of camera equipment and I am pretty good at hiking but my issue is more about the attractions at each national park. I am not sure which places are must see's in each.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:26 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
First time camping, eh?

This should be your first read, especially if you're planning on camping in Yosemite and Yellowstone.

You didn't say when you were going. But if it's between now and June, it's going to be cold. Make sure you have an appropriately rated sleeping bag. Also, hiking on ice is no fun - I've done a ton of that in New England. Even w/o visible ice, hiking can get very slippery in damp cold.

Nothing against Phoenix or Flagstaff, but they're just cities. Unless you're planning on going to Pizzeria Bianco or Vincent's at Camelback or someplace like that, IMO, no need to go there. But you should probably include Sedona in your AZ travels. Maybe even cut a route through Lake Havasu City on your way to Hoover. Take the Hoover tour, it's pretty interesting from an engineering standpoint.

I've never been to any of the parks in winter so not sure what they look like with only evergreens and no leaf trees. Make sure you listen to weather reports, especially in Yosemite and Tahoe, where roads can close quickly due to snow forecasts.

On your way up from LA, take the PCH, at least through 18-mile Drive and Big Sur. Great scenery. Nothing to see on I5.

Follow common sense safety tips on camping/hiking and you should have a wonderful trip. You'll see a lot of natural beauty.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:04 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Less planning is better.

Pick one "go to" in each area along your route.
Which one REALLY doesn't matter.

Pop into a few others nearby as you go by.
Avoid the major interstate highways at all costs.

Block extra time. Have more cash.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:25 PM

I am going June-July...

Fair enough I will knock off Flag staff...only reason Phoenix is on there is because of the ASU girls LOL

Anyways, I need to plan this out very well since I do need to get back to work eventually. The most days I can use for this trip are about 20 days. This might be my last chance to do a road trip. That's why I am trying to be a little bit more efficient by planning it out somewhat. I will probably not go to plan but its good to have some structure so I can make it through my whole trip.

Haha thanks for the camping link...you might have saved me from dealing with those damn black bears. I have seen bears plenty of times in my state but only cubs. Never seen the mama...

I plan to hit Havasu falls...

What are some must see places in the Grand Canyon?

Old 11-07-2013, 11:15 PM

There is one road along the Grand Canyon rim, all the turnouts are where you see the attractive scenerey. The only 'attraction' as you mention would be the hiking down the canyon by foot or mule to Phantom Ranch to the river. That's a 2 day venture by itself at the minimum.
What are you meaning by your version of attractions since all the places you mention are 'the attractions'. You take photos of them and you hike the trails to whatever looks the best for you at the time. Most places have turnouts and you leave you vehicle and hike the trails. Some venues have ranger stations for up to date information.
If your attractions are where to meet girls, as you Phoenix quote said, or bars or rides etal, you'll be disappointed as I mentioned before the scenerey at those places are the attraction.
As I mentioned earlier 'google' each place you want to see and click on nearby attractions and pick out what seems applicable to you. Most if not all will be the hiking route to the scenic spots. There are too many variables in what you're asking for.
Wish I could help you more. 1st time camping is going to be a trip in itself at each venue. It'll be a self hep experience. Local campers at each venue can probably enlighten you on the camping experience.
Each venue you want to see will more than likely be a minimum 2 day stay then another 1/2 to 1 full day of travel time, so you need to figure your time schedule based on that.
I've been to all those places you want to see many years ago and it took about 2 months.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:54 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
I travel via Guest home directory $10 - $20 / night (cheaper than camping and with bed and food) and very interesting hosts. Usually Profs. librarians, music, farmers, scientists, and a few common people (been doing it all over the world for 25 + yrs)
Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel

I usually do 'fly / drive' to get more time at destination and save fuel (~$12/day unlimited mileage cars on Hotwire and Priceline)

I fly SWA in USA (free exchanges if plans change and ~ $89 - $129 coast to coast on specials (I book ticket to my favorite and econo locations at ever sale date (like today).

In Asia I use budget carriers ($40 from hub to hub)

I eat VERY cheap ~ $3/day by using grocery stores 'excess / cosmetically damaged' produce and recent outdated products. That leaves plenty for an occasional meal out.

If I HAVE to drive... I use my 52 mpg Diesel Passat wagons (room to sleep if necessary.) For fuel, I can use FREE used cooking oil, FREE in many locales (TX, NM, AZ, deep south, very few waste oil collectors in 'retirement states'). I can burn used motoroil, heating oil, Jet A ... (all free if you HUNT).

If I want to camp, I take my Rialta (18-22mpg) Rialta Heaven - Welcome - Rialta Eurovan Camper, VW Rialta Camper, Used Camper Van

Camper Vans are an excellent choice for Budget travel for max 2 people (preferably 1)

MUST see for me is Utah National Parks and Valley of Fire (Great camping 50 mile NE of Vegas (and only reason I go to vegas
Valley of Fire State Park | Nevada State Parks

(Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area Las Vegas Nevada - VEGAS.com)

I recommend a chartered air trip for viewing Grand Canyon (from Vegas or nearby) GC is very huge and you only get a few vistas by car (need 3 days minimum, or 2 hrs by plane and a LOT better (unless you are planning to hike down).

I travel cheaper than staying home (property taxes).

Memorable? Guest homes and non-planned stops / adventures are the BEST.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel