Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 10:20 PM

14 posts, read 49,884 times

Advertisements

So recently me, my wife, and son decided to take a trip to San Diego to visit my in laws. We will be leaving from st.augustine florida (jacksonville) and taking I-10. I have several questions and concerns regarding the trip. First would it be possible to do the trip all in one go with me and my wife switching between the drivers seat? Our son is 4 and will be occupied with all his toys and tv in the back. I've drivin from New Hampshire to palm beach in one go so Ive experienced some long drives. Another question I have is police and border patrol mainly in Texas, I've heard some horror stories of people being pulled over for no reason other than being close to the border, I wouldn't want to put my family under that kind of stress, were american citizens and shouldn't have to be searched and harassed in our own country. And one more question, if I do end up splitting the trip into four or five days which towns do you suggest sight seeing? Thank you all for reading, I look forward to your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 10:46 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
I think doing the trip in one day is insane.

As for the border patrol checks I agree they are ridiculous but you won't be harassed. At worst they will ask you if you are U.S. citizens if you say Yes 98% of the people drive off. I agree with you that even that we should not need to answer but to make it easy that you can just answer a question or two. Also I don't think they can pull you over. It will be a checkpoint like DUI checks.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I think doing the trip in one day is insane.

As for the border patrol checks I agree they are ridiculous but you won't be harassed. At worst they will ask you if you are U.S. citizens if you say Yes 98% of the people drive off. I agree with you that even that we should not need to answer but to make it easy that you can just answer a question or two. Also I don't think they can pull you over. It will be a checkpoint like DUI checks.
Well I figure if we did do it in one go we would do 6hrs each driving till we got there. A good book and music should be enough till we get there..and ok I was under the impression that they would just pull you over for no reason out of the blue. I agree with keeping our border safe but I shouldn't have to stop and be searched just because of it.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:48 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
If you're driving the main highways, the Interstate, which I presume you'll be doing since you state you want to get to your destination as quick as possibe, then you'll probably never see a cop unless you break the law. There are quite a few radar speed traps along the way.
Border patrol stops are almost always near popular border towns/roads and rarely, if any, on an Interstate. We went from Florida to AZ along the Gulf routes and the only time we hit a Border Patrol check was just outside the Mexican border near Douglas AZ. They only asked where we were born and then said "have a safe trip".

Old 11-11-2013, 02:05 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Those border patrols are meant to apprehend illegal immigrants, why would you make their efforts harder than they already are by giving them attitude and disrespect if they happen to pull you over?

Old 11-11-2013, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Those border patrols are meant to apprehend illegal immigrants, why would you make their efforts harder than they already are by giving them attitude and disrespect if they happen to pull you over?
I would never disrespect law enforcement, i think you misunderstood my question. I was simply asking if we were going to encounter any random stops and searches much like one would prepare for toll Booths. With my wife and kid I would prefer to not stand on the side of the freeway while border patrol searches for "immigrants".

Old 11-11-2013, 06:08 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla904 View Post
... was simply asking if we were going to encounter any random stops and searches
The Cannonball Run pace is far more likely to be an issue.

Slow it down. Sleep at night.
Plan a few stops. See a few sights.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:18 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
FL to CA in one shot??? Please do yourself, family and other motorists a favor and stop and get a decent nights sleep.
You want to keep a 4 year old in the car non stop until you get there is just crazy....
I wouldn't even think about anything less than 3 days travel..if time is of the essence...FLY

Old 11-11-2013, 06:30 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
How long are you planning to be there?

Mapquest put the driving $750/RT (just gas cost, (loaded cost is like $2600 Gas, tires, oil, depredation on the car etc. )) and ~72 driving hours (you would need to do 1 night each way ~$150 for hotel). I would never even with two driver do it in non/stop.

Just quickly Check southwest $600/RT per person to fly
(How much does 4 or 8 Vacation days "cost" you?)

Old 11-11-2013, 07:25 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
FL to CA in one shot??? Please do yourself, family and other motorists a favor and stop and get a decent nights sleep.
You want to keep a 4 year old in the car non stop until you get there is just crazy....
I wouldn't even think about anything less than 3 days travel..if time is of the essence...FLY
I did it in just over a day with friends. We went from Jacksonville to Santa Monica to see one of his dying relatives and since we all went in my car. I had to choice but to go back with them. The whole flights from Jacksonville to Los Angeles (the closest big airport to Santa Monica) was booked so we had no choice. Got pulled over a couple of times by state troopers (Texas and Louisiana) but thankfully they were merciful considering the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel