Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 08:39 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,395,410 times

Advertisements

We've gotten around putting miles on our car by renting an SUV with unlimited mileage for camping trips and such. It's also worked out better when we were both in a weeding so had to transport formal wear.

When my daughter was much younger - 0 til arbout 2yr - driving made more sense. It's horrible to try and change a baby on a plane, breastfeed, or pump!

There are, IMO, a lot of times where driving beats flying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 11:58 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
One thing about the comparison that has changed: flying used to be much faster. Now, however, you have to be going quite a serious distance for flying to be faster.

By the time you get to the airport early enough to get through the screening, wait for the flight, flight delays, long times between connections, wait for your luggage, fight the traffic around the airport, then it can be faster to drive the middle distance trip.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:38 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
i hear many people that have made car trips, racking up the mileage, only return to say they regret racking up the mileage....so in your experience is taking your own car on a road trip worth the extra time and mileage on your car (assuming that renting is out of the question)?
Cars are great for trips as they give you a level of freedom you just wont get on a plane or train, See something interesting in a car you just pull over and explore,
Not driving a car because you dont want to put on the miles makes no sense, its just a car,ya put a couple of hundred thousand miles on em then throw it away and buy a new one every once in a while.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:38 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
One thing about the comparison that has changed: flying used to be much faster.
Now, however, you have to be going quite a serious distance for flying to be faster...
or more practical unless you end up somewhere that having a car is impractical.

DC to NYC (225miles; 4hrs by car) for a weekend getaway?
Take the train (only 3 hrs) then cab it.

Irvine to San Luis (225miles; 4hrs by car) for a weekend getaway?
Take the car every time (even if that train ride didn't take over 6hrs)

Old 11-19-2013, 08:31 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times
It totally depends on the type of trip:
A rambling adventure to the mountains (or wherever) that you don't have to drive for days just to get to and where you want freedom once you're there = Car
A trip to grandpa's house in the city 2000+ miles away = Fly

Old 11-19-2013, 08:51 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
One thing about the comparison that has changed: flying used to be much faster. Now, however, you have to be going quite a serious distance for flying to be faster.
This is true. It's something I've put a lot of thought into for my own trips. It largely depends on how long it takes to get to whatever airport you use and how large it is. Larger airports (I use DEN) offer a lot more direct flights leaving at a lot of different times. But they also take longer to get out to the terminal. Getting through security is usually faster for us because they have so many lanes, but if you happen to travel at peak times (esp. during holidays) or if some other unknown factor bogs down security, it can be a total nightmare.

So our threshold is about 8 hours, or about 500 miles. Six hours is about the time it takes to drive to the airport, get to the terminal, board, fly for less than two hours (<1000 miles), deboard, get baggage, and then drive to our final stop (assuming it's not a very long drive from there). In other words, any drive much over 8 hours to a place with a real airport is a no-brainer to just fly instead. Anything less than 8 hours, and we'll consider driving even if it actually takes a little longer than flying.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:49 PM

729 posts, read 1,505,787 times
I prefer to travel by car and avoid the interstates. You get to see more of the countryside that way. I don't care how many miles I put on my car. It's the experience that I want. My husband and I just returned from two weeks in England and Scotland. We rented a car and put over 2,000 miles on it. We saw all kinds of things and only planned a day in advance. With a car, you can be flexible. It's not for everyone but it works for us.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:51 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
We took my car on a 6000 mile cross country trip this year. It had low miles to begin with, now it's the low side of average. I liked driving a familiar car and would take my car again in the same scenario without hesitation.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Old 11-20-2013, 04:15 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,744,337 times
My BF and I enjoy certain types of car trips. Others are sheer drudgery.

We are most likely to have a fun, pleasant trip when:

- going there is half the fun (bonus points for a particularly lovely, scenic route)
- we get to make some fun stops en route (seeing long list friends, interesting sites)
- the weather is nice, or at least decent (no blizzards or ice!)
- we have time built into the schedule so we can deviate from the itinerary
- we are well-rested before we get in the car

We're most likely to want to murder each other AND regret the trip when:

- the weather is awful - ice storms, flooding, road closures
- the schedule is so tight we have to time bathroom breaks to the last second
- we didn't get adequate sleep/rest before leaving town

There have been very few trips we've regretted. And the enjoyable trips? I regret nothing about them - not even the mileage. The trips have been a great way to strengthen our relationship.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:17 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
My BF and I enjoy certain types of car trips. Others are sheer drudgery.

We are most likely to have a fun, pleasant trip when:

- going there is half the fun (bonus points for a particularly lovely, scenic route)
- we get to make some fun stops en route (seeing long list friends, interesting sites)
- the weather is nice, or at least decent (no blizzards or ice!)
- we have time built into the schedule so we can deviate from the itinerary
- we are well-rested before we get in the car

We're most likely to want to murder each other AND regret the trip when:

- the weather is awful - ice storms, flooding, road closures
- the schedule is so tight we have to time bathroom breaks to the last second
- we didn't get adequate sleep/rest before leaving town

There have been very few trips we've regretted. And the enjoyable trips? I regret nothing about them - not even the mileage. The trips have been a great way to strengthen our relationship.
My husband and I love road trips. It doesn't matter where we go, we just enjoy the time with each other. When we go to visit my family (500+ miles), we take three of our dogs and our parrot. We even enjoy the drive across I-90 in South Dakota.

Of course, bad weather and road conditions make it worse. That's just a given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel