Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 09:40 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,221,229 times

Advertisements

Last rental I had was a convertible. Nice, fun, glad I don't own one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 11:05 PM

14,316 posts, read 14,121,591 times
Quote:
And you, you adjust easily to the rental cars you rent on vacation, and don't have to spend a lot of time reading the auto manual?
Well, yes I do. I've traveled a lot and rented just about every car and truck you can imagine. Work has taken me to Los Angeles a fair amount of the time and I'm almost on a first name basis with the people who work at the Thrifty Rent-a-Car on Century Boulevard near LAX. We also always seem to have a driver that's been in an accident in our family and the insurance company is always providing us a rental while our car is fixed (or a total loss occurs).

I love cars and I appreciate the opportunity to try out new makes and models all the time. I think driving new cars frequently is a great privilege. I use my experiences renting cars to help me shop for a new car when its time to replace my old car. You mentioned the Chevy Cruze above. GM gave us a Cruze with a manual transmission as a "loaner car" when our Saturn needed a new transmission (covered under warranty). I like the Cruze. Not sure whether I would opt for automatic or manual transmission though if I acquired one. Its too small for us right now with the need to participate in a car pool and haul our daughter places with her friends.

Last edited by markg91359; 11-22-2013 at 11:15 PM..

Old 11-23-2013, 12:06 AM

44,550 posts, read 61,264,205 times
I like to rent a rental car of the make I'm thinking of buying in the future to try out on our varuous trips. Rentals are all about the same except for the various accessories. You put it in gear, you step on the gas pedal, you step on the brake to stop. It's the same with all vehicles. Within a few minutes you'll know how to operate the radio/cd, wipers, seat adjustment etal. Most of the rental lot boys can help you learn the basics.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:43 AM

4,105 posts, read 5,526,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I like to rent a rental car of the make I'm thinking of buying in the future to try out on our varuous trips. Rentals are all about the same except for the various accessories. You put it in gear, you step on the gas pedal, you step on the brake to stop. It's the same with all vehicles. Within a few minutes you'll know how to operate the radio/cd, wipers, seat adjustment etal. Most of the rental lot boys can help you learn the basics.
I always check out how to turn the lights on, where the arm for the wipers are (on opposite sides depending on the car), and where and how to use the cruise control. If I don't check ahead of time it's guaranteed that it'll start pouring rain while I'm driving and I have to figure out how to turn on the wipers. Adjusting the seat can be different as well.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:24 PM

729 posts, read 1,497,864 times
On our first trip to the UK from the US we rented a car. My husband was nervous enough about driving on the other side of the road but then they put put us in a hybrid. That was a little bit of a change from our mini van!

Old 11-24-2013, 04:04 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,221,229 times
Of course, the gas tank is ALWAYS opposite of your own car. That is a given.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:46 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,843,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Of course, the gas tank is ALWAYS opposite of your own car. That is a given.
I can't remember the last time I drove a car that didn't have the little arrow on the gas gauge in the dash indicating which side the fuel tank is on.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Old 11-25-2013, 04:08 PM

16,365 posts, read 30,083,242 times
Since I always rent at local offices rather than airports, I am getting full sized and luxury cars when I reserve an economy. My last three economy cars were a Ford Explorer, Hyundai Genesis, and a VW Jetta Sportswagen.

Old 11-28-2013, 04:19 PM

874 posts, read 1,259,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
You're used to your own car, you know where all the buttons are and all its quirks, and there you are, perhaps with a more modern car with lots of gadgets your car doesn't have.

I rented a car Tuesday in Oakland. Mind you, at home I drive a low-to-no-gadget 1985 Toyota, so I'm put behind the wheel of a brand new Chevy Cruze. I was handed this remote, and no key! So I thought it was hidden inside the remote somewhere, I pushed a button and out came a projectile, which I took to be the key. I looked everywhere as to where to insert it, their never telling me this car had a keyless ignition, my first experience with that. I went to the clerk and told her I wanted a less complex car to drive, and she then instructed me how to start it up. Press on brake, push button and voila!

As for the stereo system, oh lord! All trial and error! I still have a cassette player in my car, not even a DVD player! As for the heating and A/C unit, let's not got there! And all those buttons on the steering wheel, oh lord, I don't even want to know!!! I could just see myself pressing the wrong button and causing an accident!

Then returning the car! Had to gas up on the way back, couldn't figure out how to get the gas cap door open. Looked everywhere for a button inside, none! Perhaps it's on the remote! Nope! Desperate, I asked the clerk to help me! Tricky! You push on one corner of the door and it opens!

I can't imagine the horrors of putting me behind the wheel of an even higher gadget car, like a Cadillac! I'd probably crash it within a mile of the rental center!

And you, you adjust easily to the rental cars you rent on vacation, and don't have to spend a lot of time reading the auto manual?
Yup. I usually downgrade, as far as tech features go, so it's the reverse situation.

I can completely sympathize with you, however; I've been in those shoes before until I finally bought a techie car myself. Always embarrassing going back to the counter - "So... how do I actually leave the lot?"

Old 11-28-2013, 08:32 PM

23,088 posts, read 28,809,717 times
Having talked to co-workers about these Fobs for these keyless cars, and discovering how expensive it is to replace one of them, if I had known that before I rented that car, I wouldn't have rented it, fearful that if I dropped it into a puddle or lost it, they would have charged my credit card for it. And in the future, I'll never rent one of these keyless cars again!

One of my co-worker's friend's dogs chewed up one of those Fobs and it cost her $850 to replace it!

And, yes, I know, even if you lose one of these car keys with the chip in it can set you back hundreds as well!

All that does is add another layer of stress to renting a car today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel