Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 10:43 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times

Advertisements

I may have posted this story before, if so forgive me. Several years ago I flew into Brussels and had arranged for a rental car for the rive to Bruges. (DO NOT DO THIS- I should have taken the train.) They were late with the care so I waited then suddenly an agent ran in with the keys and 30 seconds later I was on the highway, driving on the left, in the pouring rain. Getting TO Bruges was easy but when I pulled into a parking garage and then realized I didn't want to park where, I couldn't figure out how to get it into reverse! I drove al thru the garage and thank God the exit clerk spoke English, as does everyone else in Belgium. Anyway I figured out that since shifting gears was a hassle I 'd just skip it so God forgive me, I spent the whole two weeks in second gear. I think it was a Peugeot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 11:49 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I may have posted this story before, if so forgive me. Several years ago I flew into Brussels and had arranged for a rental car for the rive to Bruges. (DO NOT DO THIS- I should have taken the train.) They were late with the care so I waited then suddenly an agent ran in with the keys and 30 seconds later I was on the highway, driving on the left, in the pouring rain. Getting TO Bruges was easy but when I pulled into a parking garage and then realized I didn't want to park where, I couldn't figure out how to get it into reverse! I drove al thru the garage and thank God the exit clerk spoke English, as does everyone else in Belgium. Anyway I figured out that since shifting gears was a hassle I 'd just skip it so God forgive me, I spent the whole two weeks in second gear. I think it was a Peugeot.
They don't drive on the left on the continent, only UK and Ireland.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:49 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
You're right, it was the next leg of the trip, in Ireland, where I had to drive on the right. Belgium was just constant rain. Good trip anyway.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
You're right, it was the next leg of the trip, in Ireland, where I had to drive on the right. Belgium was just constant rain. Good trip anyway.
My first time driving on the left was Ireland. Lived in the UK for 13 years now so the left side feels natural to me now. Driving in the US now makes me nervous.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:50 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
A friend rented a car at the airport and came by my house to pick me up for a trip, and we had to phone the local dealer and have him talk us through how to open the trunk while we stood in the parking lot with a cellphone..

Old 12-03-2013, 12:27 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Quote:
I couldn't figure out how to get it into reverse!
The same thing happened to me the first time I rented a car in the UK. It was -- like most rental cars there -- a stick shift, and everything was going fine until I wanted to park and couldn't figure out how to get it into reverse. I ended up getting out of the car and PUSHING it into a space as best I could, then running to a nearby phone box and calling Avis. It turns out there was a little plastic ring just below the gearshift knob that must be pulled up while simultaneously shifting into reverse.

I never had any trouble with RHD rental cars after that, except in Australia when -- like most tourists -- I got the two stalks confused. In the UK they're on the same side as in North America and Europe (turn signal on the left, windshield wiper etc. on the right) but in Australia they're reversed, so even Brits do the "tourist salute" a.k.a. running the wipers on a dry sunny day.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
The same thing happened to me the first time I rented a car in the UK. It was -- like most rental cars there -- a stick shift, and everything was going fine until I wanted to park and couldn't figure out how to get it into reverse. I ended up getting out of the car and PUSHING it into a space as best I could, then running to a nearby phone box and calling Avis. It turns out there was a little plastic ring just below the gearshift knob that must be pulled up while simultaneously shifting into reverse.

I never had any trouble with RHD rental cars after that, except in Australia when -- like most tourists -- I got the two stalks confused. In the UK they're on the same side as in North America and Europe (turn signal on the left, windshield wiper etc. on the right) but in Australia they're reversed, so even Brits do the "tourist salute" a.k.a. running the wipers on a dry sunny day.
I can't drive a stick so I rented an automatic on my first trip. The cost is nearly double for an automatic. It was no trouble finding an automatic to buy when I moved here. My license is restricted to automatics only as I took my road test in one.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Finding the gas filler lever is often the biggest challenge (I sometimes rent cars at 3 different airports / day)

Getting 'used to them' is a challenge since I drive a 37 yr old diesel car. I HATE spark plugs and automatics AND stopping for fuel before going 1000 miles. What a waste of time! Give me my $35 StealthRabbit ! The only cars I turn down are Nissans (CVT) and Prii, I will take a minivan before those.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:08 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,640 times
We love getting rental cars, its like having a long test drive. Usually by the time we're out of the rental car compound we've found what we need to negotiate regular driving, even in the UK with a stick shift.
However I do have to say we wouldn't want to own any of the cars we've driven in the US, the cars we've rented in the UK are a whole different story and leave us dissatisfied with the model range offered here.

Just a clue ... Nissan Versa ... never ever again, Chevy Impala .. total barge .. no thank you
Audi A3 fastback diesel ... yes please !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel