Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 08:53 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,742,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earn Your Own Keep View Post
Most overrated places in my opinion:

1.) The Egyptian pyramids. Easily the most overrated place in the world. Nothing like paying thousands of dollars, flying thousands of miles, battling through hordes of people in Cairo, dealing with the extreme heat, and being constantly pestered by annoying touts in order to look at a bunch of decrepit pyramids for an hour or two. I'll pass.

2.) Disney World. My future children will never get to see Mickey unless they go with someone else. I'm not paying $100 per person to experience the joys of that shameless tourist trap. It's a complete rip-off.

3.) New York. One time was more than enough in that overcrowded pit. Come to think of it, any city with over 5 million people is way too crowded for my liking. Therefore, other "megacities" like Tokyo and Mexico City are also overrated in my book.

4.) Los Angeles. Rudest people I've ever encountered. I was even treated better in Paris, and I didn't speak a lick of French when I was there!

5.) Pisa. If I wanted to travel to a nondescript city in order to see one famous building, I'd go to St. Louis. It's a lot cheaper and less time-consuming.

6.) Athens. If I wanted to travel to a rundown, filthy cesspool in order to see a historically-relevant site or two, I'd go to Philly.

7.) Paris. Mix London's dreary weather and NY's overcrowdedness and you get Paris. Sorry, but I'm not waiting in line for hours to get a glimpse of Mona Lisa's plain mug.

8.) Stonehenge. It's a bunch of rocks piled on top of one another. Who gives a sh.....

9.) Australia. Any place that's nearly 10,000 miles away better be spectacular. Australia isn't. The most famous sites are an opera house and a large rock in the middle of the barren desert. Not worth a 24-hour flight.

10.) The entire Caribbean. It's mostly dangerous, hotels are expensive, and there isn't much to see besides beaches which can be found right here in the good ole USA. I don't get the Caribbean's appeal. I also fail to see the appeal of taking a Caribbean cruise where everyone's packed in like sardines and herded around like cattle. Screw that, I'd rather gaze at the stars from my own backyard. Saves me a lot of time, hassle, and expense. And it's just as relaxing as lying on a beach.

Before anyone accuses me of never having traveled anywhere, I have set foot on five continents. Tourist traps, overcrowded cities, and cliche itineraries don't do it for me. They actually disgust me. I prefer to venture off the beaten path, away from the crowds and into remote yet naturally scenic parts of the world.
You would LOVE the out islands of the Bahamas then, especially in the southeast part! The most amazing beaches with no one on them 95% of the time!!

Completely unspoiled!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 02:29 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,499,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
You would LOVE the out islands of the Bahamas then, especially in the southeast part! The most amazing beaches with no one on them 95% of the time!!

Completely unspoiled!!
Somehow I doubt that is what the poster means. There are between 7000 and 10000 beaches in Australia, all but a few hundred of them would be almost completely deserted all the time.

For me I would say.

Great Wall of China
Pisa
Nice
Phuket
Venice
Shanghai
Athens

Last edited by danielsa1775; 04-29-2014 at 03:24 PM..

Old 05-09-2014, 12:13 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
As someone else has mentioned, New Orleans is a great place for foodies. We tend to favor a hole in a wall kinda places and New Orleans is littered with them.

Other food destinations that we've enjoyed:
- HongKong - really food lovers' paradise
- Singapore - their Chili Crab is to die for! Their food courts are something that must be visited since they're nothing compared to the typical US food courts that are filled with franchise.
-Chicago (check out their dim sum in Chinatown, or try an Indian moghul barbeque on Devon Ave)
- Toronto
- Vancouver - OMG, if you love chinese food, this is the best place outside of Hong Kong. Their seafood is fantastic and Granville Island farmers market is better than Seattle's Pike Place. The selections of cheeses, coffees, teas, fresh produce and meats, etc.. at the Granville Island Market are mind boggling!!
- San Francisco - all over the place
- New York City - whatever you fancy, they have it. Even the typical tourist spot like Cat's Deli lives up to its name
- Puerto Rico - Hawaii's BBQ pork at their best luau has nothing compared to Puerto Rico's Lechon

Anyway, sorry to digress too far but I wanted to share
But Hawaii's seafood and poke is certainly something you've gotta try! Add Honolulu to the foodie list for the manapua and various pan-Asian foods.

Here is my own list:
-Honolulu, for reasons listed above
-LA-the sushi, the burritos, Armenian food, Thai food, Persian food, ramen bars, every diet fad restaurant out there...just so much diversity. It is really underrated in the foodie world but LA has fantastic restaurants, many of them for a cheap price

-Toronto: their hot dogs, Chinese, Indian, Middle Eastern food, and pubs are all really good.
-Washington DC, for its diverse variety of cuisines
-Philadelphia for their Philly cheesesteaks and the like
-NYC for obvious reasons
-San Francisco for obvious reasons
-Las Vegas for its fine dining and buffets of good quality
-New Orleans for obvious reasons

Old 05-09-2014, 10:34 PM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Agreed with Bangkok. Friendly people, and great food, but hot and humid weather, massive traffic congestion and just a "let me scam you" environment all over the place.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:56 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,258,625 times
I do not like Los Angeles either. It's seems overly crowded and cheesy to me, with the traffic and smog and prices. Over-hyped celebrity junk, I guess. I don't care about the sign or the tours. I also did not like Myrtle Beach. After living in South Carolina, I found there to be much better beaches and resorts, esp in the Charleston area. I never got the hype. Everyone I knew from out of state wanted to go there and only there and I thought it was a shame they didn't give other places in the state a chance.

I also 2nd Disney of any sort. Maybe once is enough, but for the price I could find so many other amazing trips to do. I hate theme parks, rides, and fake backdrops. I just don't get it. Spending $100s, maybe more to stand in line, dealing with pushing strangers, screaming kids? Wouldn't you rather relax, or actually DO something? See or experience something? I guess I'm just not *that* into Disney to get it.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:11 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,826,838 times
To me.. Paris ...

Old 05-12-2014, 03:49 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
@ singaporelady : I'm from Paris, I'd be interested to know why you find Paris overrated (which I can fully understand by the way).

Old 05-12-2014, 06:04 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,826,838 times
@pigeonhole Well just find Paris does have the romantic and classic ambience but except that seems like nothing else special..

It is worth a visit.. But not repeatedly..

Old 05-14-2014, 04:00 PM

39 posts, read 90,005 times
Stonehenge!! I always wonder what those people on the tourist buses feel about the experience. Just a pile of rocks!!

Avebury, just 30 min away, is better. You can walk and touch the rocks!! Still just piles of rocks but al least you could let the kids run about.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:29 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,654,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yeah I made it to Gili as well, and tried the snorkeling and was disappointed as well. That and the touts were even a problem in Ubud. So I would agree with your assessment. I enjoyed it, but it's not necessarily on my "return to before I die" list.
Have you tried visiting north Bali even beyond Ubud? those places aren't tourist infested and relatively clean.

Nusa Lembongan and North Bali has some of the prettiest diving spot, i do find Gili dissapointing despite its reputation, but Indonesia have better spots like Raja Ampat or Manado.

My 7 overrated destination:
1) Singaproe - sorry, its nice for few days but after a while mehhh.. its not that interesting and expensive.
2) Shenzhen - it was nice for shopping, but the whole city doesn't have any character, a whole huge concrete jungle with no attraction at all, better spend your time in HK or Guangzhou
3) Malacca - dubbed as Malaysian historical and cultural epicentrum, it was horribly dull, apart from old buildings typical colonial houses and fake windmill at the center of town which is totally out of the place its boring. Anything historical there dates back max to 400 years old, even the sultan's palace is replica.
4) KL - worth few days but after you've seen the Petronas tower it becomes dull, didn't enjoy it particularly to find it worth returning to, won't go there again unless i have to.
5) Pattaya - too touristy and infested with sexpat, basically its a wh*retown with very few attraction, waste of time unless you are into it, better off to Chiangmai.
6) Stonehenge - totally agree with comment above
7) Disneyland HK - i went there with my sister, just close it down its worthless it was small, smelly, dirty and the food was horrible, the fee is totally not worth it.

Last edited by Goshio22; 07-31-2014 at 10:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel