Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2007, 11:03 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,575 times

Advertisements

I'm taking my wife on a trip to Tuscany for her birthday in March. We're renting a villa in Barga. It is close to Lucca, which is close to Pisa.

Any ideas on where we should eat? We like wine and cheese. Also, we really love art and history. All suggestions will be sincerely appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 06:33 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
I'm taking my wife on a trip to Tuscany for her birthday in March. We're renting a villa in Barga. It is close to Lucca, which is close to Pisa.

Any ideas on where we should eat? We like wine and cheese. Also, we really love art and history. All suggestions will be sincerely appreciated.
One suggestion: we tend to stay away from restaurants with English menus posted, especially the ones that have guys out front touting their business.
The really good places don't need to attract tourists.
If it is warm enough, you might enjoy purchasing wine and cheese and doing a picnic in the piazza.
Slow Travel usually has very good dining ideas for Italy--and just good Italy info in general.
Will you be renting a car or taking the train? Siena, Pienza, Arrezzo, Cortona and more are all worth a visit. Siena has tons of history and a beautiful piazza. Cortona has a small museum with a Fra Angelico. Montepulciano is a very walkable wine town.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:44 AM

59 posts, read 377,794 times
If you are up in Lucca, near Pisa...going down to Cortona and Montepulciano is kindof far. They are very nice. Far relatively speaking because I find Italy to be a whirlwind and you need to sit back and enjoy it or all the chaos that comes is unmanageable. I lived in 3 years for Rome, recently.

I would definitely visit Siena and decide if Florence should be on your map as well. Lucca is wonderful city to explore. Pisa is just for the tower really. I agree stay away from "english menus".....higher prices and too much spaghetti with terrible sauce.

Private message if you would like.

One trick I used in Lucca. We were looking for a good authentic Lucca restaurant (yes, each town has their favorite food), I went into a fancy hotel on a beautiful square and went in asking to speak english (I am an US citizen, who speaks Italian), and asked for this advice. They sent us to a marvilous restaurant nearby I can't remember - sorry. The moral of the story is ask where they would take someone for a local experience.

Slow Food directory that was mentioned is an excellent bible to look at. Italians rely on it. And, don't be afraid to have the vino de la casa (house wine). It usually comes from relatives farm with a mini vineyard and served in a little glass pitcher. You can have a nice wine and save money since Italy and Europe is expensive. We do this and my husband is an Italian trained sommelier.

Salute!

Old 11-26-2007, 08:36 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,575 times
Thanks for the great advice!!

Old 12-01-2007, 08:51 AM

1 posts, read 3,846 times
Hi there,
I guess I also need some tips about our next holidays in Tuscany this next June.

We rented a villa close to Montecatini Terme. It's called Villa La Nievolina (Tuscany, between Florence and Lucca, villa rental close to Siena, Chianti, Pisa)
and we found on the web.

We're mainly looking for nice spots in the area of Lucca and Pisa (my grand dad is from Lorenzana).

What could you suggest?

Thanks.

Mary

Last edited by JosephineFanfa; 12-01-2007 at 09:04 AM..

Old 12-03-2007, 01:43 PM

59 posts, read 377,794 times
I love all of Chianti: Greve, Radda, etc.

Near Lucca and Pisa you could try this: the town of Collodi, the birthplace of Pinocchio, where you can visit the Pinocchio Park which is great for the kids.

Other places near Lucca worth visiting include the town of Barga, north of Lucca on the edge of the Garfagnana region and the Apuane Alps. Barga is considered one of the most beautiful medieval walled cities in Tuscany, yet it is not well-known by visitors outside of Tuscany and thus is less touristed.

Pietrasanta is a small medieval town near the coast sitting upon the foothills of the Apuan Alps. It is also the place where Michelangelo came for the best marble stone. It is still an important center for working marble, and you'll find many artisans at work here producing beautiful outdoor statues and indoor mantle pieces.

Google until your hearts content as there is sooo much to see and do. Definitely visit Siena. I love it over Florence...I am not Italian, but lived there and my son, Diego was born in Rome.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:18 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,760 times
Hi

I moved from the states to Assisi four years ago.

In Toscana, the Bistecca is king... Bistecca Fiorentino that is. Occasionally we go to Siena to get our fix. Papaiz (Popeyes like the sailor) is where we go. It is in the Mercado and has outdoor tented seating...with heaters. The locals order just the one steak (30 Euros a Kg) , a side of patata rosto and a bottle of rosso del casa.

For vino. Montalpulciano is nice, but Brunello di Montalcino another 30km west is reputedly the best. I had a really nice Montalpulciano a few months back though.

Florence is the magnet for art. You must see the Boticelli paintings in the Uffizi. Ahhh.. I got married at the Palazzo Vecchio. You can drive in and park in the Mercado for 3Euro an hour. Eat at Zaa behind the mercado.

Italy has gotten expensive. Darn shame

Have a great trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel