Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 10:19 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
The drive from Philly to Sydney is lovely this time of year. You can stop in Hawaii for gas, no problem.

So when my mother shuffles off this mortal coil I'll make sure that my child is feeling up to the trip, otherwise I'll just ask them to reschedule the funeral. Shouldn't be an issue.
You could always use your live-in 24/7 nanny to just deal with kiddo while you're jet-setting!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 10:31 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
You could always use your live-in 24/7 nanny to just deal with kiddo while you're jet-setting!!!
Or I can leave her with her grandmother. Oh, wait........

Old 12-15-2013, 10:39 AM

24 posts, read 29,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Good idea, we'll drive the next time we go to Johannesburg.

How do you know the parents are doing nothing about it?

This post is just obnoxious. There are plenty of polite ways to deal with people whose behaviors are annoying you, but it does come back to the fact that what annoys one person may not annoy the next. And I'm pretty sure the most vocal posters in this thread annoy others on a regular basis.
I don't care whether you have to go to Johannesburg, Dubai, or Frankfurt, but when you bring a child on a long haul flight when they are sick or miserable with an ear infection for your own convenience you set yourself up for tantrums a and wailing. And thanks for your extreme situations but yes I would forego those flights. I'm not subjecting my daughter to pain just because I want to get there just like everyone else. Sorry but my daughter is the most important person in my life as she is my only child.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryCole View Post
I don't care whether you have to go to Johannesburg, Dubai, or Frankfurt, but when you bring a child on a long haul flight when they are sick or miserable with an ear infection for your own convenience you set yourself up for tantrums a and wailing. And thanks for your extreme situations but yes I would forego those flights. I'm not subjecting my daughter to pain just because I want to get there just like everyone else. Sorry but my daughter is the most important person in my life as she is my only child.
I'm sorry, didn't you made a comment earlier about a poster letting the world revolve around their toddler????

I personally am not going to lose out on hundreds, if not THOUSANDS, of dollars, months of planning, and days off work to keep precious junior(ette) at home because she has an ear infection and might annoy someone. *THAT* strikes me as someone who obviously lets the world revolve around their child and probably doesn't have any experience dealing with different kinds of discipline issues with different kinds o children.

Yes, some posters here set themselves up for tantrums and wailing. It's lovely that you have so much disposable income and flexibility in your job to let your world revolve around your child, but for the rest of us (and that includes those of us who have more than just one junior to think of), that is completely unreasonable.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:49 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
And thanks for your extreme situations but yes I would forego those flights.
Wow! You wouldn't attend your own mother's funeral?!?!?! That certainly puts all of your opinions into perspective.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Wow! You wouldn't attend your own mother's funeral?!?!?! That certainly puts all of your opinions into perspective.
And yet she complains that other posters let the world revolve around their kid But she would cancel a long-haul flight because her kid has an ear infection. Okay. Back to reality everyone???

Old 12-15-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
I'm sorry, didn't you made a comment earlier about a poster letting the world revolve around their toddler????

I personally am not going to lose out on hundreds, if not THOUSANDS, of dollars, months of planning, and days off work to keep precious junior(ette) at home because she has an ear infection and might annoy someone. *THAT* strikes me as someone who obviously lets the world revolve around their child and probably doesn't have any experience dealing with different kinds of discipline issues with different kinds o children.

Yes, some posters here set themselves up for tantrums and wailing. It's lovely that you have so much disposable income and flexibility in your job to let your world revolve around your child, but for the rest of us (and that includes those of us who have more than just one junior to think of), that is completely unreasonable.
Great. I can't wait to hear your wailing toddler while I'm stuffed in a metal tube for 16 hours.

And, the mother's funeral? Really? That is not realistic, nice hyperbole though. Because realistically, based on life expectancy data, my daughter will be a legal adult by the time my mother kicks the bucket. So that scenario is little more than exxageration fodder more than anything.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:04 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
And, the mother's funeral? Really? That is not realistic, nice hyperbole though.
It's not hyperbole. It is realistic for the Zimbochick. Her mother lives in Johannesburg. She doesn't have the luxury of driving to her mother's funeral. Many families are spread out all over the country and world. When there is an emergency, families do what needs to be done and sometimes that means taking a cranky child on an airplane.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Great. I can't wait to hear your wailing toddler while I'm stuffed in a metal tube for 16 hours.
My toddler is an angel, my 4.5 year old autistic child is disabled and yes, he will probably wail. Not all of us are dealing with children who can just be told to shut up and sit down. It is far less cruel to him to have him on a 3.5 hour flight than force him to sit in a car for 3 days straight. I'm sorry that people like you feel it is suffering to listen to it for 3.5 hours of your life.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's not hyperbole. It is realistic for the Zimbochick. Her mother lives in Johannesburg. She doesn't have the luxury of driving to her mother's funeral. Many families are spread out all over the country and world. When there is an emergency, families do what needs to be done and sometimes that means taking a cranky child on an airplane.
Who is talking about "Zimbochick"? I am talking about MYSELF. Like many other poster said, you read way too much stuff in my posts that are nonexistent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel