Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 12:19 PM

5 posts, read 6,699 times

Advertisements

We live in NYC and are looking to get away for the winter months. The possibilities of where to go are endless and admittedly somewhat overwhelming. Where would you go? We're looking for warmth and relaxation, considering both within the US and abroad. Costa Rica? Or maybe Thailand? Great food, beaches, and things to do are a plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 01:35 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,701,118 times
Thailand.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:13 PM

306 posts, read 654,664 times
That is a very broad question... what is your budget? A 2-3 month vacation can be extremely expensive so budget is key. Thailand is a great option for lower budget travel. However, you could think about Ecuador/Peru as well as it's summer in the Southern hemisphere and it's a great time to visit the Galapagos islands, but visiting them is quite expensive. Another option is Malaysia/Indonesia - traveling through Bali and Borneo. Do you want to stay in one country for that long or move around - a lot of options but it largely depends on what your expectations and budget are.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:45 AM

43,323 posts, read 44,045,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocket2 View Post
That is a very broad question... what is your budget? A 2-3 month vacation can be extremely expensive so budget is key. Thailand is a great option for lower budget travel. However, you could think about Ecuador/Peru as well as it's summer in the Southern hemisphere and it's a great time to visit the Galapagos islands, but visiting them is quite expensive. Another option is Malaysia/Indonesia - traveling through Bali and Borneo. Do you want to stay in one country for that long or move around - a lot of options but it largely depends on what your expectations and budget are.
I agree with the above. Note that the Galapagos Islands might be cheaper to book a trip while staying in Ecuador rather than from the USA and Ecuador it is the rainy season for equivalent of the USA winter.

I add Australia as a good destination being the seasons are reversed and another option might be Israel with its Mediterranean climate. Closer to the USA I would say one of the Caribbean Islands.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:38 PM

5 posts, read 6,699 times
Thanks for the responses. We'll both be working while away, so we won't be digging into savings or anything to cover costs. I'd rather the expenses be on the moderate end, but we could easily spend upwards of $4k/mo between the two of us. A friend recommend Nicaragua over Costa Rica.

I will say that being able to work wherever we go matters. We'll both need fairly reliable internet availability. We'll put in 4-5 hours most days of the week and explore and relax when not working. Longer trips, etc. we'll save for weekends.

We've spent significant amounts of time in the Caribbean. Definitely not opposed to returning. Anyone have a country they'd recommend?

Thailand is still up on the list; I've never been to SE Asia. My brother is planning travels to Israel middle of next year; I'll likely hold off traveling there and join him on his travels.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:38 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,609,034 times
How about going south? Really south? New Zealand and Australia! Great beaches and lots of stuff to see.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:39 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,116,173 times
Australia via Fiji, Bora Bora, and Bali.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:12 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,333,477 times
If money is no object, Maui. Mild temps, beautiful beaches, nice resorts.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:12 AM

10,931 posts, read 11,670,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirenyc View Post
Thanks for the responses. We'll both be working while away, so we won't be digging into savings or anything to cover costs. I'd rather the expenses be on the moderate end, but we could easily spend upwards of $4k/mo between the two of us. A friend recommend Nicaragua over Costa Rica.

I will say that being able to work wherever we go matters. We'll both need fairly reliable internet availability. We'll put in 4-5 hours most days of the week and explore and relax when not working. Longer trips, etc. we'll save for weekends.

We've spent significant amounts of time in the Caribbean. Definitely not opposed to returning. Anyone have a country they'd recommend?

Thailand is still up on the list; I've never been to SE Asia. My brother is planning travels to Israel middle of next year; I'll likely hold off traveling there and join him on his travels.
Nicaragua is interesting. The tourist infrastructure is not that built up, but the beaches are lovely, AND there are no gangs! The place is safe, so say the locals who indicate that the police shoot gang members who enter the country, based simply on the fact they have tatoos on their faces...which is sort of bazaar.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:33 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,763,743 times
Australia, so big it takes time to see

Thailand (don't know about internet there)

Maybe Panama
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel