Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 10:00 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,287 times

Advertisements

Thank you again for all those who responded to my question in regards to recommending a disney hotel.

One more question - if we do stay on property -- do you know if there are any convenient stores nearby or do you have to rent a car to drive outside of disney property? The reason I ask is because my husband is on a special diet - lactose intolerant. We wanted a room with a refrig to keep some lactaid milk and other food items, etc.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 04:07 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,687,774 times
The Port Orleans rooms have small refrigerators in every room. They also have a small drug store at the resort. There were snacks and drinks, but I don't remember if they had any Lactaid. A phone call, or E-mail directly to Disney would answer that question.

I enjoyed reading the posts over at the disboard, that somebody else posted, but I think those people are really obsessed with Disney.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:59 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,687,774 times
I just found this really interesting post on the Disney board. You can have groceries delivered to your room.
COPIED FROM OTHER BOARD

There's a fare finder in the 'Popular Transportation Links' sticky - but you'd have to know where the nearest store is, and the distance.

Likely it'll be FAR more cost-effective to use one of the grocery delivery services: WeGoShop.com, GardenGrocer.com, Goodings.com, or, if you're not getting any perishables, netgrocer.com.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:32 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Disney is extremely accomodating to food allergies. I'm flat out allergic to dairy and cannot eat gluten. I went to Disney 2 summers ago and when we made reservations at restaurants we just made sure that they could accommodate. Lactose intolerance is barely a special diet- you can still eat cheese generally, just no milk. There are generally little convenience stores in the hotels and they carry lactaid and soymilk.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:56 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
I agree with getting the food delivered--many people do that. There are stores and gas stations near by, especially near Downtown Disney, where you can get what you need. The Disney hotels have small fridges in the rooms.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:48 AM

Smile thanks for your responses

Thanks for all your responses. They were very helpful -- especially about groceries can delivered to your hotel. I didn't know that. I will check out those websites. That might work.

One more thing - being that we have a 5 and 4 year old. Do you think that a 5 day hopper pass is too much for them? I try to research everything before we go anywhere but sometimes I can't really rely on travel agents. That's why I write to these boards. Everyone is so helpful!! But we also want to try and do SeaWorld too maybe the last day. I know we would probably have to rent a car for the day or find someway of transportation to that.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:49 AM

Smile thanks for your responses - one more thing ?

Thanks for all your responses. They were very helpful -- especially about groceries can delivered to your hotel. I didn't know that. I will check out those websites. That might work.

One more thing - being that we have a 5 and 4 year old. Do you think that a 5 day hopper pass is too much for them? I try to research everything before we go anywhere but sometimes I can't really rely on travel agents. That's why I write to these boards. Everyone is so helpful!! But we also want to try and do SeaWorld too maybe the last day. I know we would probably have to rent a car for the day or find someway of transportation to that.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:47 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
The nice thing about the park hopper passes is that you can freely move around the parks so if your kids get tired, you can head back to your hotel and then go for naps and then go to another park in the evening or if you get to one park and it is really crowded you go to another park that will be less crowded. I know a lot of people will hop on the bus or monorail around 2 in the afternoon and the kids will nap on there, they get to tour the area on the bus/monorail, then get back into things at the parks.

Don't forget the waterparks. Our kids had a BLAST at Typhoon Lagoon. They want to go back just for that park!

Old 12-05-2007, 10:35 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post

I would plan on 1 day per park: 1 day for epcot, 1 day for magic kingdom, 1 day for animal kingdom, 1 day for MGM. Then, I would add the water park park to the park hopper (even though it's a bit chilly here) for 1 day. Just my 2 cents. I would say that you might have to cut the days short at Disney. I was recently at Magic Kingdom at midnight and there were people all over with their crying children (who were just sooo tired) but the parents were making them get every second off of that pass! Just don't make them do that
See World is a good option, as is Universal Studios. It's about a 30 minute drive from Disney. There are a lot of shuttle services between the two. Also, don't forget things such as Disney Quest that are in downtown disney.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:55 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,936,007 times
When are you planning to go to Disney?

I have 3 children and I've taken them since they were toddlers. We used to get the park hopper option, but we only used it one time so decided to save our money. In my experience, my kids didn't want to leave a park to try another and they hated waiting for buses, monorail, etc. For the past several years, we've just done one park per day. We go during value season, usually during winter months so the park attendance has been low. I just got back from my latest visit last weekend and I think the longest wait we saw for a ride was 40 minutes and we didn't even wait that because of fastpass.

I think with a 4 and a 5 year old, that one park per day is plenty. I've been going for years and you really can't do everything so I'd just relax and let them enjoy it. Really, if you're staying on Disney property, it is easier to just stay and do Disney stuff and use their transportation system and relax. You might want to consider just having a free day where the little ones can hang out at the hotel pool and do stuff there. The last time I did Sea World, I stayed off-property and didn't have kids. It's a lot of fun, but I think it might be a bit much to take the kids from Mickey.

I've stayed off-property and hated it. I4 (I think that's the highway) can be get really congested. Plus I love the cleanliness, customer service of Disney so would rather stay with a sure thing

Good luck and have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel