Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you prefer a one week vacation with your spouse, girlfriend or boyfriend?
Paris 15 37.50%
Venice 7 17.50%
Rome 18 45.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 08:15 PM

818 posts, read 1,016,745 times

Advertisements

My brother took his significant other to Paris,France for a trip and I suggested Venice or Rome,Italy as an alternative seeing how we have Italian Heritage and he was adamant that Paris is a better place to vacation without even acknowledging what Italy has to offer. I think his SO(now wife) wanted France so I can't blame him I guess.

It seems to me that most of what makes Paris "great" is derivative of and has its roots in the culture of Italy.
The cuisine and architecture in particular. Not to take away from what France has to offer but the cuisine seems a little over complicated to me and would prefer Italy's offerings and it is less crowded from what I read.

I really would like to tour Italy some at some point. If you had to choose, where would you go or recommend of the two for a one week vacation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 08:40 PM

461 posts, read 1,283,317 times
I haven't been to Paris, but of Rome or Venice, I'd go with Rome. More to do in Rome and it's better situated for day trips to Tuscany, the Mediterranean Coast, etc. Both are great places.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:59 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,796,320 times
Venice

Old 01-11-2014, 09:30 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
The people I've known who have spent a while touring in Italy seem split between loving Venice and thinking Florence is overrated and loving Florence and thinking Venice is overrated. So more Your Mileage Will Vary than the other two cities.

As for the other two cities, you're pulled to go where you're pulled to go, and neither is inherently better than the other. Italy has never really drawn me in for all that I know it's got a lot to offer. But we're likely off to Paris later on this year- each of us got to pick two places, and the spousal unit said Paris and Scotland after I'd picked London and Munich. (Germany has a happy place in my heart even though I'm not German.) I know I'll really enjoy Paris, but if I got to pick all four, I would have swapped out Paris for Barcelona instead.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:50 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
They're all very different, but if I hadn't been to any (I've only been to Rome and Venice) I would definitely eliminate Venice. Was there for two days and while charming, the novelty wears off (for me at least) more quickly and there's less to explore than Paris and Rome, which are two of the greatest cities in the world to visit. There are similarities but they're very different cities, Paris has it's own unique architecture, vibe, culture, cuisine, as does Rome. If you're more into ancient sights, go for Rome, if you want something romantic and pretty, Paris. Both will be sure to impress most first-time visitors.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:44 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,242,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
My brother took his significant other to Paris,France for a trip and I suggested Venice or Rome,Italy as an alternative seeing how we have Italian Heritage and he was adamant that Paris is a better place to vacation without even acknowledging what Italy has to offer. I think his SO(now wife) wanted France so I can't blame him I guess.

It seems to me that most of what makes Paris "great" is derivative of and has its roots in the culture of Italy.
The cuisine and architecture in particular. Not to take away from what France has to offer but the cuisine seems a little over complicated to me and would prefer Italy's offerings and it is less crowded from what I read.

I really would like to tour Italy some at some point. If you had to choose, where would you go or recommend of the two for a one week vacation?
Maybe you should ask which part of the country is most politically sympathetic to your paper thin view of the world. Then you won't have to meet or deal with anyone at all who might have a different world view from your own.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:07 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post

I have not been to all three so I cannot say, but I would assume the choice is between Paris and Rome. In my mind, which of the two is "better" is largely irrelevant -- either you love European history and you'll have a blast in either place (the Louvre and Notre Dame vs. the Colosseum and the Vatican?) and come back with the hope that you can make it to the other someday, or you don't have that much of an interest and can't quite figure out what the fuss is all about but you go because people say you should go, and then you'll feel weird and homesick in either place and the defining moment of your trip will be "Parisians are rude" or "Rome is dirty".

If you're more interested in Italy than France, then go to Italy. Interest is reason enough -- no convoluted or faulty logic needed!

Old 01-12-2014, 08:29 PM

818 posts, read 1,016,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
Maybe you should ask which part of the country is most politically sympathetic to your paper thin view of the world. Then you won't have to meet or deal with anyone at all who might have a different world view from your own.
Funny lizard person not sure what you are babbling about or what your point is. Can you be more specific? I believe everyone has a right to their opinion and objectivity is good. Worthless post you made IMO. Don't like free speech or opinions? Or is your opinion the correct opinion know it all?

You must be one of those save the world but can't save yourself people possibly? You sound crazy and make no sense, my threads and posts actually do make sense if you have half a brain but lizard brains are pretty small possibly? You tell me.
Does intelligence and objectivtity intimidate you? Nothing "paper thin" here, Truth speaks for itself.

Last edited by Know Nonsense; 01-12-2014 at 08:40 PM..

Old 01-13-2014, 12:09 AM

2 posts, read 8,345 times
My vote is for Rome, it is one of my favorite and dreamed destination.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:43 AM

332 posts, read 498,129 times
Depends on your interests.....

Venice is gorgeous in great weather, but you have to like museums to be busy for more than a couple of days. We went during Carnevale and it was chilly but we had a great time. If you are happy to spend some time lazing around and enjoying the cafes then it could work for a week too....expensive though.

Rome is full of history and easy access to places like Naples, Pompeii. You could easily fill a week. No way is it less crowded than Paris realistically. I don't know why you think that it is all based off Italian culture? Yes, there is shared history but there is a distinct "feel" to each place in my experience.

Paris is the city of love, yes. Plenty to do here too.

I guess it just comes down to personal preference. I like Paris and Rome equally for different reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel