Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 06:39 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,784 times

Advertisements

Some of my very favorite destinations are not among the tip top of most people's list.

Budapest
Krakow
Newfoundland
Nova Scotia
Toronto
Lake Louise
Tangier
Kuala Lumpur
Fiji
Bali, Indonesia

All of the above are "must see"s in my opinion. Big stars for Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Bali.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 09:52 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
Some of my very favorite destinations are not among the tip top of most people's list.

Budapest
Krakow
Newfoundland
Nova Scotia
Toronto
Lake Louise
Tangier
Kuala Lumpur
Fiji
Bali, Indonesia

All of the above are "must see"s in my opinion. Big stars for Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Bali.
With the exception of the last 4 all are on my list, especially Budapest

Old 01-15-2014, 10:34 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,098,145 times
I would recommend Lago de Atitlán.

To those with no spanish vocabulary, lake Atitlan.
Absolutely beautiful weather year round. It is a large (by my standards) lake in the mountains. About 5000 feet up. Therefore, they can have thunder showers but they can not have high humidity because the air is not dense enough to hold the water. It is in Guatemala.

Link to an image:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...d=0CKEBEPwdMAo

Old 01-15-2014, 10:37 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Here are a few of mine that are primarily in the western United States.

1. Canyonlands National Park. Near Arches National Park in Moab which gets far more visitors. However, Canyonlands has much of the same scenery.

2. Great Basin National Park. This is a small national park inside Nevada just over the Utah Nevada border on U.S. Highway 50. Its an alpine forested mountain that stands out as a virtual island in the middle of the desert. There is also a cave called Lehman Cave that is part of this park and offers guided tours to the public.

3. Couer'd Alene, Idaho. This is a small city located on a beautiful lake in Northern Idaho. The scenery surrounding the lake is gorgeous. It has become more popular over the years, but is still not too crowded. I'd encourage visitors to get a hotel on the lakefront when they visit.

4. Grand Teton National Park just north of Jackson, Wyoming. Most people who go to this part of the country, go to visit Yellowstone National Park. A smaller number drive south of Yellowstone and visit Grand Teton National Park. Those who don't go to Grand Teton are really missing out. Unlike Yellowstone, there are no geyers, mudpots, or hot springs. However, there is incredible scenery, more opportunities to view wildlife, and the Tetons are shaped like no other mountains in North America.

5. Snow Canyon State Park near St. George, Utah. A small park full of many red rock features shaped over the millenia by wind and water. Since it is a state park, it gets far fewer visitors than Zion National Park which is about 45 miles away.

6. Green River Lake and the Wind River Mountains in Wyoming. Full of trails to hike and lakes to fish. Best suited for those who backpack.

7. The High Uintas in Utah. An area full of forest and trails for either hikers or equestrians.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:02 AM

605 posts, read 1,054,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
While on holiday in Florida we drove down the Gulf Coast and found a place called Tarpon Springs... Id never heard of this fishing town and how lovely it was. mostly Greek people , who talk the language, and was an unexpected treat for us..
We're not far from Tarpon Springs! I love that whole area of northern Pinellas County, including Dunedin as well.

My favourite destinations have been the Caribbean coast of Colombia, a couple of fishing villages west of Cartagena, which is the typical tourist destinations. The villages are Santa Marta and Taganga - both really pretty and unspoiled. But the real gem of the region is Parcque Nacionale de Tayrana. You have to take a rickety old bus and then hike to get there, but it is the most beautiful, unspoiled beach I have ever seen. It's been 20+ years since I was there, though.

In the US, I really enjoyed Asheville, NC. Being a beer nerd helped since we tried many of the local craft breweries in the area, but the culture and food was outstanding too. Plus lots of outdoor activities, gorgeous mountains and parks, and of course the Biltmore Estate.

In Europe, I loved the Catalan area of northern Spain. Rolling hills, outstanding vineyards, gorgeous coast, superb food, friendly people. I drove through the area with a friend years ago and would love to go back.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:30 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
The overrated tourist trap locations in Winter.

Really, anywhere that gets cold in Winter.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:35 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,194,852 times
Vietnam and Cambodia. People are very polite, the sights are interesting, and the food was terrific. The best curries I ever had were in Cambodia (Thai-style) and Hoi An, Vietnam, has a lot of fusion food. French/Vietnamese cafes, Italian/Asian fusion, and there was a particularly spectacular restaurant I went to where appetizer, main course, dessert two drinks, and a Vietnamese coffee to finish it off with ran me about $22.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:37 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The overrated tourist trap locations in Winter.

Really, anywhere that gets cold in Winter.
Wrong thread, or reading comprehension issues?

Old 01-15-2014, 01:08 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,783,390 times
Vieques Island, about 8 miles off the SE coast of Puerto Rico. One of the last undeveloped (or underdeveloped, now that they got their first hotel) islands in the Caribbean. I lived there for a couple years, and still go back for vacation.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:08 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,907,941 times
Adding to the southern Utah recommendations -- Monument Valley. Just an amazingly beautiful and spiritual place, featured in many of the old John Wayne/John Ford Westerns. I would never have visited it had a friend from overseas not had it on his bucket list. It's on a Navajo Indian Reservation.
Attached Thumbnails
Underrated travel destinations-tmpqtripdec2013-050.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel