Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 03:53 AM

23,065 posts, read 28,778,528 times

Advertisements

I've seen it happen, some famous movie star discovers some underrated place, and the destruction begins!

Please! Please! Stay away from Tegucigalpa, Honduras!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 09:28 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,747,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've seen it happen, some famous movie star discovers some underrated place, and the destruction begins!

Please! Please! Stay away from Tegucigalpa, Honduras!
They filmed the original Planet of the Apes and also Heartbreak Ridge on Vieques Island. But the island still remains pretty much as it's been for generations. I was there when the Navy owned 2/3 of it, but the military has since left. It's a very poor island, but some of the most serene beaches I've seen anywhere in the world.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:27 AM

15,966 posts, read 10,526,043 times
Umbria....don't tell anybody. It's overshadowed by Tuscany to the north and Rome to the southwest but it is "the green heart of Italy" I love those hill towns. Perugia is big enough to offer all sorts of diversions or you can sit out on the corso and have gelato or enjoy the evening passeggiata. Then there is Assisi and Orvieto and lots of smaller hill towns. Sorry, no beaches but Lake Trasimeno is nice.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:58 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,718,689 times
I will speak for a friend who traveled the US extensively visiting national parks with his family.

I asked him that question ( referring to inside the US ) and he said..........."Utah's national parks "

Old 01-16-2014, 01:57 PM

23,771 posts, read 28,850,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The overrated tourist trap locations in Winter.

Really, anywhere that gets cold in Winter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Wrong thread, or reading comprehension issues?
I took it to mean that the convict is recommending any of the overrated destinations to be seen in the winter time, as well as any other cold locals...but of course, I generally don't have any reading comprehension issues...

Old 01-16-2014, 02:05 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,591,283 times
Wow this is a great thread, I like "undiscovered" unconventional off the beaten path places better than the typical touristy places.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:25 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,884,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Overlooked gems:

Cinque Terre
Tangier
Canary Islands
Mendoza
Franschhoek
Luckenbach, TX
Lanai, HI
You really consider Cinque Terre/Canaries/Tangier to be overlooked?
I'll give you Franschoek, but any Jerry Jeff fan already knows about Luckenbach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
I would recommend Lago de Atitlán.

To those with no spanish vocabulary, lake Atitlan.
Absolutely beautiful weather year round. It is a large (by my standards) lake in the mountains. About 5000 feet up. Therefore, they can have thunder showers but they can not have high humidity because the air is not dense enough to hold the water. It is in Guatemala.
Amazing place. We were there in 1998. Local indigenous people did their laundry on the rocks. Still have a volcanic stone from there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Yes. It's been happening all over Colorado for years. One of the most heartbreaking examples is Telluride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Umbria....don't tell anybody. It's overshadowed by Tuscany to the north and Rome to the southwest but it is "the green heart of Italy" I love those hill towns. Perugia is big enough to offer all sorts of diversions or you can sit out on the corso and have gelato or enjoy the evening passeggiata. Then there is Assisi and Orvieto and lots of smaller hill towns. Sorry, no beaches but Lake Trasimeno is nice.
Ssssh.

My suggestion:
I'll agree with another poster about northern coastal Spain. We were there for two weeks and the only tourists we saw were Spanish. Beautiful scenery, nice people, delicious seafood, great value for our money.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:24 PM

2,895 posts, read 5,105,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I took it to mean that the convict is recommending any of the overrated destinations to be seen in the winter time, as well as any other cold locals...but of course, I generally don't have any reading comprehension issues...
So the answer, in that case, is clearly 'reading comprehension issues'

Old 01-17-2014, 01:53 AM

532 posts, read 591,077 times
Bergen, Norway
Cappodocia, Turkey
St Petersburg

Old 01-17-2014, 02:08 AM

23,065 posts, read 28,778,528 times
Say what you want, I've enjoyed all 75+ trips to Tijuana, come high murder rates or whatever! Nothing's going to stop me from spending a night bar-hopping in the Zona Norte district, or going to their open-air flea market shopping for bargains, or riding their rickety buses around town.

About 5 years ago, Donald Trump, proposed 2 high rise hotel-condo towers near the Playas of Tijuana, with headlines: Tijuana Is Now A Hot Place!

That was a real scare to me, infringing upon, or potentially destroying one of my great underrated travel destinations!

Thank God, the ground was broken, and that was the end of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel