Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 02:55 PM

460 posts, read 779,018 times

Advertisements

You might make the 12:15, but there are so many factors that might cause you to miss it, I'd just go with the 4 PM flight to be safe.

There is a Yotel outlet at T4 where you could get some sleep and a shower between your flights. I'm not sure what the price would be but you can book them for short term stays (4 hr minimum).

Heathrow airport hotels, London - Yotel

I wouldn't suggest trying to visit London city during that layover, unless you wanted to get into town and have only an hour or so before you had to head back out to the airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 10:40 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Airline Partners | Virgin America

AirFrance is NOT a interline with Virgin America (Atlantic). So you would need to claim, clear Im/customs, re-check, re-clear security.

I hope you planned four hours or so on your connection.

Also If you bag get delayed into LHR. Don't Expect Virgin to forward it to Paris. It will sit in unclaimed bags in London, then they "might" send it back to the US when you put in a lost bag claim there.
OP, disregard the quoted post. Virgin Atlantic is a separate airline from Virgin America.

Booking separate tickets for connections is a bad idea, generally. If the Virgin Atlantic flight is delayed and you miss the connection, you will need to buy a new ticket. As you've failed to show up for the outbound leg to Paris, the whole round trip itinerary with air france (LHR-CDG-LHR) would be cancelled.

Why didn't you just book a single through-ticket with BA or someone else?

Old 01-20-2014, 10:52 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,899,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
OP, disregard the quoted post. Virgin Atlantic is a separate airline from Virgin America.

Booking separate tickets for connections is a bad idea, generally. If the Virgin Atlantic flight is delayed and you miss the connection, you will need to buy a new ticket. As you've failed to show up for the outbound leg to Paris, the whole round trip itinerary with air france (LHR-CDG-LHR) would be cancelled.

Why didn't you just book a single through-ticket with BA or someone else?
I had credit to use with Virgin but they don't fly to Paris. Also a round trip to London + the flight to Paris and back was the same price a one way back from London to the US. With the one way to Paris and the one way back to the US from London it was more then double the price.

I'll be in London for about a week before I have to head back to the US.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:23 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,706 times
Have you also considered taking the tube from LHR into London and then transferring to the Eurostar at St. Pancras for the journey to Paris?

Old 01-21-2014, 06:40 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,899,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Have you also considered taking the tube from LHR into London and then transferring to the Eurostar at St. Pancras for the journey to Paris?
That was my original plan, but on second thought I got in my mind "I am in the airport already. Why leave to take the train?"

It is still an option. The price for both were within a few dollars of each other not adding the fare for the tube.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:19 AM

2 posts, read 3,899 times
LIOC: How did this turn out? Did you manage to get your bags checked all the way through?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel