U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 10:34 AM

5,574 posts, read 6,641,415 times

Advertisements

I'm actually surprised you got as much attention as you did, considering there were 150+ cancelled flights. I would have taken the shuttle to the hotel, chilled out for a while, and possibly returned later to check on the status of the bag, if necessary.

Regarding the laptop, you're S.O.L. You should NEVER check anything that is breakable or valuable. Every time I've been on a flight where they requested rollaboards be gate checked, they've always announced "please remove your laptops, keys, medications, valuables, and ion lithium batteries before gate-checking."

Did you get great customer service? Perhaps not. They could have handled it differently. You were dealing with agents were were tired and frustrated themselves, dealing with a large quantity of cancellations, and all the resulting pissed off passengers. I'm sure you were patient and polite, but not everyone is. They're trying to keep everyone happy, and probably aren't given sufficient tools to do that properly. Personally, I wouldn't go for any sort of compensation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 12:43 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,537,279 times
To the OP, I don't want to sound insulting, and apologies in advance if I do, but WHY IN THE WORLD did you not schedule your flight at LEAST a day or two earlier (in the middle of winter none-the-less) when you had such an important event to attend???

I NEVER would have flown out the same day for something so important, even in the summer months, let alone in January!!

If you absolutely HAVE to be somewhere at a certain time (or even on a certain day), next time drive or take the train!!!!!

Old 01-28-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
If you absolutely HAVE to be somewhere at a certain time (or even on a certain day), next time drive or take the train!!!!!
Las Vegas to Rhode Island?

Old 01-28-2014, 12:46 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,537,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Las Vegas to Rhode Island?
Yes! That is too far for ground transportation to be practical!

Translation: Plan your flight with a day or two buffer next time! Pretty simple really.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:51 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,171,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Yes! That is too far for ground transportation to be practical!

Translation: Plan your flight with a day or two buffer next time! Pretty simple really.
Unfortunately not possible. My wife is a student and couldn't miss classes on Thursday and Tuesday. We did schedule it for a day early, which is why we were able to attend. But yes, ground transportation wasn't possible this time. I much prefer to drive, but 3 days to and from would take too much time.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:55 PM

192 posts, read 379,136 times
Honestly, I don't think you're going to get much even if you push the bad customer service angle. In fact, I'll bet they will tell you that your service was actually very good because you had such personal attention in the midst of everything going on. Maybe you might get a few miles out of it, but those are generally so hard to use that for most people it is not worth it.

Pushing the luggage angle will just get you a response something like "all we're obligated to do is get your luggage there" (note: no promise of when or that it will arrive with you). I follow www.elliott.org and have heard this numerous times.

BTW, I totally sympathize with you, we had a connection in Chicago this past spring that went wrong. Ended up staying overnight at our own cost because it was weather-related, got switched around numerous times (incl. them trying to send us to an airport 2 hours from where our car was, late at night where little transportation was available and with both a 3 year old and an injured person in tow). Finally they got us on a flight to our original airport, then after taking our bags had us walking outside in the cold and rain to get to the plane without coats. Also I have had luggage miss a connection because of gate changes and show up the next day, all they did was get it to me and I think were only reasonable about that because it was 2 miles from the airport.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:02 PM

This is also a lesson that during the winter months, it's usually a safer bet to schedule connections through southern states ... Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, etc.

It doesn't eliminate the opportunity for delays (after all, you don't know where your plane is originating from) but it does decrease the chance.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:01 PM

3,330 posts, read 8,750,393 times
Compensation for poor customer service??? HAHAHAHA. If that happened in the real world, then I would be a rich, rich woman. As a frequent business traveler, allow me to welcome you to domestic airline travel in the US. You really weren’t treated poorly (other than the baggage runaround), though I know you feel differently. It was ballsy to take a cross country connecting flight and assume you would arrive right on time. Your biggest mistake was leaving no buffer time. Sure, your wife had class, life gets in the way, you can’t take extra time off to pad in an extra day…but ultimately, you should never in this day and age assume your plane will arrive right on time as scheduled on a domestic flight with a connection in the US. Consider it a lesson learned.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:38 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,171,473 times
Sounds like we'll just chalk it up as a lesson learned. I guess I've been lucky that, even though I am not a frequent traveler (fewer than 10 times per year over the past 20 years), this is the first time that I've ever gone through something like this. It also may be because I normally fly Southwest and have never been delayed or canceled. For a flying bus, they sure seem to have their act together. And yes, in the big picture, it could have been worse. There were moms their with their toddlers, a couple carrying their wedding dress and tux, etc. I guess I just don't like being lied to, and hold people to a higher standard, as I am held to one in my line of work. Like I said, if they have been honest up front and said the plane was broken and with the weather, the chances are you're not going anywhere, or there is an extremely small chance you will see your bags before tomorrow, I would have been alright with that and we would have planned accordingly. It was the fact that they purposely told us one thing, knowing full well it probably wasn't going to happen.

Every day is a lesson in something new, right?

Old 01-28-2014, 03:10 PM

11,271 posts, read 19,551,623 times
If you write in a complaint, airline will probably throw 2-5K of frequent flyer miles at you and consider it good on their end.

As for Southwest, they're having issues of their own these days, including getting people places on-time:

Southwest ranks last in on-time performance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel