U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 11:52 AM

2 posts, read 2,759 times

Advertisements

I want to go on vacation myself this summer either in May or June. I never done something like this and I'm unsure where to go??

I want to go for at least 5 to 7 days, I want do some outdoor activities, I like the beach, sightseeing, I don't want to rent car and it has to cost below 1800 dollars. I was thinking Hawaii but it's kinda expensive so I'm undecided.. I also was thinking NYC, but it's so a big city for a small town girl like myself. I just need somewhere I do things outdoors and have great food and sights.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 12:09 PM

9,388 posts, read 12,272,122 times
Where are you starting from? And what time of year? For a beach/ outdoor type of vacation I'd recommend Miami on the East Coast, can't think of any place on the West Coast where you wouldn't want a car.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:34 PM

5,314 posts, read 6,758,275 times
San Diego is always a good time, would fit in your budget, and has many walkable areas.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:20 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,213,447 times
Are you from the east coast?

FT Lauderdale, has great sights and sounds, legendary beaches, you'll fall in love and never want to leave. Also, NYC is a fantastic city that every American should enjoy once in their life, great food and drinks at some of the worlds most legendary restaurants, so many things to do and great places to do some sightseeing. Enjoy your vacation.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:06 PM

12,333 posts, read 9,914,911 times
What kind of outdoor stuff do you want to do?

I vote for NYC. Great place overall. It's fun to be in the city where so many TV shows are shot. You can get in the crownd shot of the Today show or sign up for a show taping. It's also great to visit so many world class museums and eat in some of the top restaurants in the country. You can see a couple of Broadway shows and see some of your favorite celebrities only a few feet in front of you. There are also beaches in NYC (way south at the bottom of Brooklyn) as well as boat rides in Central Park. You can also take a boat over to see the Statue of Liberty or Ellis Island. There's also boat tours around the entire island.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:35 PM

35,016 posts, read 35,531,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What kind of outdoor stuff do you want to do?

I vote for NYC. Great place overall. It's fun to be in the city where so many TV shows are shot. You can get in the crownd shot of the Today show or sign up for a show taping. It's also great to visit so many world class museums and eat in some of the top restaurants in the country. You can see a couple of Broadway shows and see some of your favorite celebrities only a few feet in front of you. There are also beaches in NYC (way south at the bottom of Brooklyn) as well as boat rides in Central Park. You can also take a boat over to see the Statue of Liberty or Ellis Island. There's also boat tours around the entire island.
I second NYC as a great place to explore alone. There are beaches in Brooklyn (Brighton Beach & Coney Island) that one can get to by subway. Also in the summer one can take the LIRR (Long Island Railroad commuter train) with a connecting ferry to Fire Island beach area. So one can definitely manage on public transportation without renting a car.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:45 PM

6,774 posts, read 10,587,899 times
You could do Florida but Florida is not particularly safe for a young woman alone. I would stick to your guns and shoot for Hawaii. It's just as expensive as NYC. You can get really good deals at sites like Hotwire and Expedia for flights and hotel bundles.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:46 PM

8,876 posts, read 17,434,454 times
It's not 'beachy' but Washington DC works well otherwise- lots of outdoor areas along the Mall and beyond to explore as well as the museums, National zoo, etc. And the Washington metro is easy to use and will get you everywhere you'd want to go (save Georgetown ,which is a short and safe bus ride from a metro station) including hotel and airport if you fly into Washington National airport.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:14 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,215,834 times
I haven't been yet, so I can't speak from experience, but I'm hoping to make a solo trip to Key West soon. You can take a puddle jumper from Miami to Key West, then rent a bicycle for the week to get around the island.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:30 PM

1,175 posts, read 935,806 times
Where are you coming from?

I'm in N.C. and some of the beaches I'm around are about a 3 to 4 hour drive.

There's:

Currituck/Outer Banks/Nags Head, NC
Hilton Head, SC
Myrtle Beach, SC
Tybee Beach near Savannah, GA
Virginia Beach, VA
Ocean City, MD (> 4 hours drive from NC)

Hilton Head and Savannah are in close proximity so if you wanted to stay in one place and visit the other, I think they are a 1/2 hours drive distance. It was suggested to me to stay in HH for the beach and take a day trip to Savannah. Savannah has more sightseeing tours, and HH has more outdoor/water activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel