U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-03-2014, 08:02 AM
 
1,230 posts, read 1,550,202 times
Reputation: 1903

Advertisements

For two years I had a link to a very useful international flight connection search tool. I lost it when my computer hard drive fried unrecoverably. I have searched for the link for several weeks but been unable to find it again.

This is a generic flight connection map which shows possible flight connections between third-world airports. It is not specific to a particular airport or specific airline alliance. It allows the user to check what connections may be possible from a specific airport without feeding in a specific destination. I can use the airport data from www.flightstats.com to check arrival and departures from a specific airport, but only within 24 hours.

I need to find that generic connection map again. Can anyone help?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-03-2014, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Calgary, AB
681 posts, read 1,413,441 times
Reputation: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
For two years I had a link to a very useful international flight connection search tool. I lost it when my computer hard drive fried unrecoverably. I have searched for the link for several weeks but been unable to find it again.

This is a generic flight connection map which shows possible flight connections between third-world airports. It is not specific to a particular airport or specific airline alliance. It allows the user to check what connections may be possible from a specific airport without feeding in a specific destination. I can use the airport data from www.flightstats.com to check arrival and departures from a specific airport, but only within 24 hours.

I need to find that generic connection map again. Can anyone help?
This maybe?:
http://openflights.org/

Last edited by TiredOfyycCold; 02-03-2014 at 10:55 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2014, 01:54 PM
 
1,230 posts, read 1,550,202 times
Reputation: 1903
Yes indeed, that's the one. Thank you so very much. Great tool.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2014, 01:58 PM
 
Location: God's Gift to Mankind for flying anything
5,577 posts, read 11,999,216 times
Reputation: 4529
To *ersatz*:
Back up your favorites on a thumb drive.

You crashed your machine once, you think it will never happen again ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2014, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Calgary, AB
681 posts, read 1,413,441 times
Reputation: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
Yes indeed, that's the one. Thank you so very much. Great tool.
You are most welcome!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2014, 02:20 PM
 
1,230 posts, read 1,550,202 times
Reputation: 1903
irman - I had three backups. All were corrupted, as I had been backing up a deteriorating disk and overwriting good files with damaged information for some time. I was able to recover some information but not all of it. I live in areas with problem power. I use an array of surge arrestors, voltage regulators and UPSes as well as automatic and manual backups. But thank you for your concern.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2014, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
3,402 posts, read 4,807,852 times
Reputation: 4420
What do you use this for? I just play around with fares and look at where they connect. What else can you use this for?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2014, 02:47 PM
 
Location: RI, MA, VT, WI, IL, CA, IN (that one sucked), KY
38,727 posts, read 29,114,146 times
Reputation: 36261
I too would like to know how you utilize this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2014, 04:43 PM
 
1,230 posts, read 1,550,202 times
Reputation: 1903
Last minute travel arrangements to obscure places for business support.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2014, 03:08 PM
 
Location: God's Gift to Mankind for flying anything
5,577 posts, read 11,999,216 times
Reputation: 4529
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
irman - I had three backups. All were corrupted, as I had been backing up a deteriorating disk and overwriting good files with damaged information for some time. I was able to recover some information but not all of it. I live in areas with problem power. I use an array of surge arrestors, voltage regulators and UPSes as well as automatic and manual backups. But thank you for your concern.
Dang, I feel your pain ...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top