Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 07:22 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,689,159 times

Advertisements

I went up on the A319 tonight. The seats were out, and gone to the shop. I put my jacket on and took a stroll out to one of our 757-200's. Everything was looking good until I hit the last row. That's when the cussing started. I measured that last seat six ways to Sunday. It came up two inches short every time. I made a bee line straight over to a 737-400. That's when the cussing got into full swing. I think I may have even invented a few new words.

These are the measurements I got.

757-200 59.5" all the way back until the last seat. It was 57.5"

737-400 All the way to row 23 59"
row 24 57.5"
row 25 56"

Never in a million years.............................

Tell me where to send my paycheck, Zack. Then I'll go crawl under a rock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 07:37 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Wow, well I for one travel 50k + miles a year and never knew that either. I was thinking to myself "this guy is crazy" and would have bet money he was wrong, it didn't even make sense because the airlines would have to order different size seats for coach. But Zack was right!! Thanks Zack, I admit to having been one of the doubting ones.

So avoid the back of the plane...

Old 12-07-2007, 01:12 PM

349 posts, read 1,431,327 times
Take a look at planes like the A319, the A330, or the 777. The last rows have narrower seats, you see it more commonly on widebodies. I flew on a United A319 just a couple weeks ago from DC to Chicago in the last row window seat (did an early stand-by flight, so little choice of seating). It is narrow and very uncomfortable, can be verified on seatguru. Other planes like the A320, the 737, 757 don't seem as bad in the back when I've been on them. I mostly fly United and US, so I can't speak much for other airlines as I might fly them only once or twice a year. If you don't think airlines will cut off an inch of seat width or pitch on a few back rows to fit in more seats your kidding yourself.

Anyway the whole point was for the OP to know not to get seats in the back rows as that is where you'll lose an inch or two or room, sometimes they don't recline, and the seats can be very cramped from the curvature of the plane.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:06 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,401,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastina View Post
Which carrier have you found to have the best leg room (and seating, for that matter) in economy class for long-haul international flights? I've been a dedicated Delta flyer, but I'm starting to reconsider: too many people in the row in front lying in my lap.
Where are you going?

Old 12-07-2007, 07:40 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
I am 6 foot 7 inches. There is no way I will ever fly again except in a private jet or first class. Traveling by plane in cattle seats is not an option for me.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:12 PM

351 posts, read 1,874,152 times
Wow! This sparked quite a discussion and made for really interesting reading. Thanks for the first-hand research! And those six hours I spent on an Air Tajikistan *** between Dushanbe and Istanbul, in the back row, with no movable arm rest, and my 70 lb German Shephard on my lap I thought I was uncomfortable because of the dog (and the bathroom fragrence)! But the joys of Soviet aircraft are for another post... perhaps.

(But my initial post was prompted by a simple US-Europe direct flight. I expect/hope for better from American (nationality) airlines).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel