Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 12:21 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times

Advertisements

Reminds me of an old joke, not that your situation was funny or to make light of ir, I find it pretty appalling.

customs agent: Do you have any drugs or guns?

traveler: Sure, buddy, whaddya need?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 12:27 PM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Surely there are exceptions, but from my experience, albeit somewhat limited, US Customs Agents are obnoxious. Coming back home and going through US Customs is the low point of the trip because of the agents' foul attitudes and behavior toward both US citizens and foreign travelers. If it was just me I'd think that maybe I was doing something to irritate them but it seems to be everybody. Usually they are the first face-to-face experience foreign travelers have upon entering the US and it is often unnecessarily rude and stressful.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:26 PM

22 posts, read 30,265 times
There are many other custom officers who are really courteous... World is not perfect nor people. Everyone is having good and ...bad days.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:52 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Reminds me of an old joke, not that your situation was funny or to make light of ir, I find it pretty appalling.

customs agent: Do you have any drugs or guns?

traveler: Sure, buddy, whaddya need?

I wouldn't do this - seriously - do not do this

I knew a guy who played basketball overseas in Italy and they would frequently go into Switzerland to buy some things at a lower cost

This was prior to Schengen for that area so they would go through the customs routine

Being young and otherwise dumb one of them decided to spice it up and responded upon being asked if he had anything to declare stated "yes, I declare war on the Swiss" - get it, because they are neutral mostly and not perceived to be a nation that looks towards war

Yeah - they didn't find the humor in it either

Old 02-17-2014, 02:16 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,261,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I wouldn't do this - seriously - do not do this

I knew a guy who played basketball overseas in Italy and they would frequently go into Switzerland to buy some things at a lower cost

This was prior to Schengen for that area so they would go through the customs routine

Being young and otherwise dumb one of them decided to spice it up and responded upon being asked if he had anything to declare stated "yes, I declare war on the Swiss" - get it, because they are neutral mostly and not perceived to be a nation that looks towards war

Yeah - they didn't find the humor in it either

What did they do?

Threaten to blow up some of their own bridges and tunnels?

Old 02-17-2014, 02:50 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
I can breeze through customs anywhere...my husband not so much. He travels all over the world on business, and they don't like the countries he has visited. He always gets the weird questions and suspicion.

I am torn, because it may have been him doing his job or him being a jerk. Just brush it off.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:03 PM

2,826 posts, read 3,992,967 times
The fact that it has upset you means he did his job well.

I thought everyone knew that border agents will sometime ask off the cuff questions in order to find any falsehoods in a story.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:58 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
I would have written a complaint about him...using his name and badge number or whatever creds he has.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:09 PM

460 posts, read 779,111 times
Incidents like this are why Global Entry and Nexus are such popular programs. Outside of your acceptance interviews, the only talking to Immigration you do is typing into the computer kiosk, while all of the other passengers are waiting in line for their verbal harassment.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:24 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,709,514 times
The Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer was out of line and if you do desire, you can report him, or any other CBP misconduct to their Office of Internal Affairs (202) 344-1800.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel