Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2014, 06:43 AM

21 posts, read 61,201 times

Advertisements

Greetings fellow travelers,

Having been to many large cities of the world I always ask, what makes a great city? Of course, the question must be very personal, and subjective.

I however tend to favor natural landscape over 'urban feel/vibe', which crosses relatively flat NYC off the list, for instance. And while I consider mass transit important, it takes backseat to natural beauty.

In a city I crave the coast, and varied topography such as hills and mountains. Interspersed bodies of water like bays, rivers and lakes too.

While I prefer L.A. for living, I love to visit S.F. and by leagues the latter outshines the former as far as beauty goes. Nothing beats the San Francisco Bay.

Recently I spent time in Vancouver, and would consider it a top global city by my criteria. The bay, the way the mountains climb up right at city limits, miles and miles of walkable shoreline. And I before anyone lists it, I grew up in Seattle. It is stunning too, by IMO, Van beats it, and since they are so similar in so many ways, its either one or the other.

Internationally, I consider HK a fav. Stunning. God I would love to live there. Only spent a few weeks but it wasn't enough. The hiking, the ferry system, car free islands. All combined with vibrant urban density.

So as it stands my favorite cities I have visited are:

San Francisco
Vancouver
Hong Kong (I find it interesting these places all have strong Cantonese cultural presence)

Scouring the internet, other large/global cities that might make the list:

Cape Town
Rio De Janeiro
Honolulu

I'm trying to think of a major city in Europe that would match this criteria too.

So, if anyone can advise me of other cities to add to my list. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 09:25 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Although I wouldn't call it a global city but Haifa in northern Israel has beautiful views as a hilly coastal city and the home of the Baha'i region with it spectacular hillside gardens looking at over the Mediterranean Sea. It also has a great public transportation and one of the few places in Israel that has public transit on Saturdays (the Jewish Shabbat when public transportation is shut down in most of the country).

Last edited by Chava61; 02-24-2014 at 10:23 AM..

Old 02-27-2014, 06:55 AM

Thanks for your reply!

Old 02-28-2014, 05:21 PM

31 posts, read 59,236 times
Honolulu cannot be compared to Rio because of the size difference. The beauty of the city landscape is astonishing even though the population goes well over a million. Hawaii is in general pretty slow for the lifestyle while Rio in that sense compares closer to a world city with an obiou more hectic lifestyle.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:55 PM

Yes I see what you mean...Rio is truly more a 'global city' than Honolulu. Of those I listed, HK would qualify as most 'global'. I love HK and want to live there someday.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:33 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by landgabriel View Post
I'm trying to think of a major city in Europe that would match this criteria too.
Istanbul
Barcelona
Edinburgh
Lisbon

Old 03-05-2014, 12:24 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
Honolulu was just named the USA's #1 most traffic-clogged city, on a list I saw today on The Atlantic Cities

Old 03-05-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Istanbul
Barcelona
Edinburgh
Lisbon
All very lovely cities but not quite as hilly as I might like (judging from pics, so I could be wrong). Hope to visit them all.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:14 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by landgabriel View Post
All very lovely cities but not quite as hilly as I might like (judging from pics, so I could be wrong). Hope to visit them all.
I've been to the first two, and I can assure you that they're both very hilly indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel