Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 03:55 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,016,792 times

Advertisements

When my kids were teenagers their senior class trip was to Spain . I was a chaperone on that flight and I have never been on another plane since . Those kids must have been raised by apes because that is what over half of them acted like . I mean they were talking loudly and nasty . I mean some of them were talking about the plane crashing and there was an elderly lady sitting in seats in front of some of them and I thought she was going to have a heart attack . Well when we returned to the states and our city I spoke with one of the mothers of one of the boys that was talking nasty and loudly . That woman had the nerve to say to me "well boys will be boys now wont they " guess where that young man is today ? yep he is in prison he ran over someone with his car and killed her . My daughter sees her in the grocery store and she looks away . I have not been on another plane since because those teenagers frightened me so bad on that flight I dont think i will ever be able to fly again and Im due for a trip ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 04:18 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,869,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
When my kids were teenagers their senior class trip was to Spain . I was a chaperone on that flight and I have never been on another plane since . Those kids must have been raised by apes because that is what over half of them acted like . I mean they were talking loudly and nasty . I mean some of them were talking about the plane crashing and there was an elderly lady sitting in seats in front of some of them and I thought she was going to have a heart attack . Well when we returned to the states and our city I spoke with one of the mothers of one of the boys that was talking nasty and loudly . That woman had the nerve to say to me "well boys will be boys now wont they " guess where that young man is today ? yep he is in prison he ran over someone with his car and killed her . My daughter sees her in the grocery store and she looks away . I have not been on another plane since because those teenagers frightened me so bad on that flight I dont think i will ever be able to fly again and Im due for a trip ...
I mean, it's too bad they acted that way... but to be traumatized for life because of a few teenagers... really?

Old 02-24-2014, 04:28 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,767,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I mean, it's too bad they acted that way... but to be traumatized for life because of a few teenagers... really?
Yeah, that's pretty odd. Pretty sure the voice of a teenager is not powerful enough to mess with the airplane electronics or mechanical system...

Old 02-24-2014, 04:29 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,445,018 times
The simple answer to this question is : Y E S

People are nervous flyers. Just have some consideration and kindness. It is highly unlikely anything will happen on your flight. Please do not plant suggestions. It is mean, stupid and cruel.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:51 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,832,178 times
Whenever I fly with my elderly father, he always says things to me if he sees any Muslim passengers like "I hope he doesn't have a bomb strapped to him" or "I hope the r**head sitting across from us isn't a terrorist."

Fortunately he tries to keep his voice down, but I always cringe when he says stuff like that.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:55 AM

15 posts, read 18,996 times
Yes. Nobody needs to hear that, most people have already thought about the chance of it happening more than once. It is just not appropriate. If you are that worried, take a bus or don't fly. On the terrorist note, your father is just saying out loud what I know most people are already thinking. I know it is stereotyping. Its not nice, but I think we are all entitled to feel anxious when we see a Muslim on our plane. Anyone who remembers 9/11 is going to think about that. I know every time I get on a plane I think of 9/11. Oh well if they don't like it.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:45 AM

32,563 posts, read 47,729,085 times
If you expect the general public to behave well and to have nice manners, you are in for a lot of disappointment in your life.

It is boorish and inconsiderate to speak of plane crashes and bombs and it is also boorish and inconsiderate to be speaking loudly enough so that three rows of seats in any direction can hear you.

It is a crowded situation. Everyone is getting their personal space violated. Very often there have been the frustrations of delays or searches. People are tired. In that sort of situation, it is a wonder that there haven't been more road rage situations on planes.

One should have nice manners just to have nice manners, but I always think that it might also literally be self-preservation to not irritate your neighbors on a plane. You never know who might be at that breaking point, and really, it is not a good idea to be the one who sets them off.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:49 AM

8,669 posts, read 22,853,798 times
I've flown a lot, but it's slowed down a bit in the last decade or so......as a child, we had an emergency landing in the Aluetian Islands at a military base, I don't remember much, just a bunch of new grown up playmates really happy to see me in the middle of the night. The only other incident was at Reagan/Washington National......we were descending, at what looked like 50-100 feet off the ground and we suddenly pulled up hard and fast, going right back up. People were crying and screaming. The pilot came on and explained it as equipment congestion. Translation, near miss.

I don't know if it's age or what.....no....I would have said something in my 20's or 30's, but been a bit more discreet, but I definitely would have said something to the flight attendant that I found their chatter bothersome. I'm sure they would have found a way to either shut them up or move them. There is also the very distinct possibility these two were nervous flyers, themselves, and deflecting their own fears with jokes.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:13 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,831,630 times
yes.. you don't talk about bombs, crashing, etc. while on a plane. This is common sense.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:34 AM

729 posts, read 1,501,116 times
On our last trip home from the UK there was a 10 year old boy that was loudly asking his mother if we were going to crash. This was on take off. She kept telling him no, everything would be ok and please hush up. The child eventually did settle down. As we were landing we hit a lot of turbulence. The same kids started yelling loudly "We're going to crash! We're going to crash!" THANKFULLY my husband still had his ear buds in to catch the very end of a movie. He is a white knuckle flyer and was trying hard to ignore the turbulence. The kid really wasn't helping much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel