Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 08:17 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,746,277 times

Advertisements

I may be roped into going to Disney World. This is something I was hoping I could avoid, but.... oh well.

So there seems to be more than one place. What would be fun for a 9-year-old to see at a Disney park in December? Would Universal Orlando be more fun? We all enjoy roller coasters...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 08:28 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,761 times
To get anything substantial out of Disney World you are looking at a 4 day minimum stay, there is just that much to do there. Everything there is family oriented so there's plenty there for everyone, but don't expect normal rollercoasters, there aren't any. They are still fun in their own right, but no big drops unless you ride splash mountain, which I would imagine that in Dec it might be too chilly to do. If you are only doing 1 day there I would probably recommend MGM Studios, as there was (at the time I went long ago) more exciting things to do in that part. Epcot is a good edutainment place, tho that's not a bad thing, and I did enjoy myself in all 3 parts (Animal Kingdom was put in the year after I went.) Magic Kingdom is nice for the little ones, and does have some nice rides for the entire family.

If I could go again, I totally would, even at age 28. When I went I completely enjoyed myself, and I know my son would have a blast there.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
You really need to combine Disney and Universal; maybe Epic as well, but we were not really turned on by Epic. In fact we were disappointed. Of course we weren't kids either. yes, it takes a least 2 days to do Disney and another to do Universal, so plan on 3 or 4 nights min. You will be surprised, I bet you will enjoy it as much as your 9 year old son. He is the perfect age as well. Not that there is anything wrong with taking toddlers or pre schoolers, they have a blast, but the memories don't stay with them. When a child is 9, it will.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
To get anything substantial out of Disney World you are looking at a 4 day minimum stay, there is just that much to do there. Everything there is family oriented so there's plenty there for everyone, but don't expect normal rollercoasters, there aren't any. They are still fun in their own right, but no big drops unless you ride splash mountain, which I would imagine that in Dec it might be too chilly to do. If you are only doing 1 day there I would probably recommend MGM Studios, as there was (at the time I went long ago) more exciting things to do in that part. Epcot is a good edutainment place, tho that's not a bad thing, and I did enjoy myself in all 3 parts (Animal Kingdom was put in the year after I went.) Magic Kingdom is nice for the little ones, and does have some nice rides for the entire family.

If I could go again, I totally would, even at age 28. When I went I completely enjoyed myself, and I know my son would have a blast there.
Our stay may be a few days. That may have been good information to include in my post. Thank you.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:53 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,761 times
Then you should be set for a Disney visit, just remember Epcot is the edutainment center, MGM is the more exciting thrilling park, Magic Kingdom is family fun for all. You're on your own for Animal Kingdom tho, that wasn't there when I went, though if I were a wagerin man, I would probably bet on some sort of fancy pants zoo.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You really need to combine Disney and Universal; maybe Epic as well, but we were not really turned on by Epic. In fact we were disappointed. Of course we weren't kids either. yes, it takes a least 2 days to do Disney and another to do Universal, so plan on 3 or 4 nights min. You will be surprised, I bet you will enjoy it as much as your 9 year old son. He is the perfect age as well. Not that there is anything wrong with taking toddlers or pre schoolers, they have a blast, but the memories don't stay with them. When a child is 9, it will.
Is there a hotel that you would recommend would be convenient for both Disney and Universal? Or a place to avoid?

Old 08-26-2013, 09:00 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
I may be roped into going to Disney World. This is something I was hoping I could avoid, but.... oh well.

So there seems to be more than one place. What would be fun for a 9-year-old to see at a Disney park in December? Would Universal Orlando be more fun? We all enjoy roller coasters...
I have personally never had any interest in visiting any other theme park except Disney so I cannot comment on the Universal Studios or Epcot thing.. December is a great time to go. We went the week before Xmas one year and there was virtually no one there.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-26-2013, 09:01 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
As quickly as possible each day, you should ditch your family and take the monorail over to the Polynesian Village and become aquainted with a long series of alcoholoic libations served in a tall glass with a skewer of fruit and a little umbrella sticking up out of it. If you feel adventerous, take off your shoes and wade out into the water up to your knees where the meaning of life will come to you.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:16 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
There are plenty of thrill rides at Disney, if that's what you want.

Magic Kingdom- Space Mountain, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (due to open in 2014), Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain (fairly tame)

Epcot- Soarin', Mission Space, Sum of All Thrills

Disney's Hollywood Studios- Rock-n-Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Star Tours

Animal Kingdom- Expedition Everest, Dinosaur

In December, Christmas is in full-swing.

Magic Kingdom-Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party (a separate ticket is required)

Epcot- Candlelight Processional (Christmas music, narrated by celebrities)

Disney's Hollywood Studios- The Osbourne Family of Dancing Lights

Plus, all the resorts are decked out in their Christmas best.

Look here for everything Disney World:

AllEars.Net - The Unofficial Disney Vacation Planning Guide - Walt Disney World, Disneyland and Disney Cruise Line

Old 08-26-2013, 09:19 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,393,566 times
It's been many years but IMO the people working in WDW ( those out and around with the public) seemed to be more professional than those working at Universal.
Perhaps Universal hires those who didn't make the cut at WDW.

Maybe things have changed in the last 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel