Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 06:43 PM

5 posts, read 11,645 times

Advertisements

Thank you very much
anyhow the citys I might go though are on I-95 Providence, New Haven, New York City. on I-70 Wheeling Columbus, Indiapolis, St Louis, on I-44 Olahoma city, and tulsa. I-40 Alberturkey, Flagstaff.

1.Do You think I-95 From Cantan MA all the way to the George Washington Bridge on a sunday am is the best first route heading to Calafonria, Im planning on staying on I-95 south till NJ turnpike then to Exit 6 PA turnpike. Should get off to head west before Exit 6 on NJ turnpike or later south in Maryland or Virgina.

2. Dose Indiapolis and St Louis has alot of traffic during rush hour Im planning on going through those citys during the first night to avoid rush hour and be in Northeastern Ok on I-44 by sunrise the 2nd day. are there any detored routes in those areas

3.In Olkahoma city should I get on I-35 south to I-40 or used the turnpikes, also in Tulsa should I continue on the turnpike that goses around Tulsa, I might be there during morning rush hour on Monday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
I'd take the Mass Pike to Albany-ish (actually, I'd take US-20 across the state line into Albany, just cause the toll from MA to Albany is as much as crossing almost all of the Mass Pike )
From there, I'd get on the Southern Tier across NY.
Hop on I-90 again at the state line and go to Cleveland.
I-71 to Columbus
I-70 to St. Louis
I-44 to OKC
I-40 for 1200 miles to I-15 between Las Vegas and LA.
I-15 to LA/Anaheim
Thats a good route from Western MA, but Im coming from Eastern MA and I plan to take I-95 south To NY city then NJ turnpike to PA turnpike and get on I-70 from New Station.
Is driving south on I-95 and NJ turnpike first then head west on PA turnpike a good idiea or head west first.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
approx 3,000 miles in 3 days is not very prudent as a plan, IMO.

even if you can average 60-65 mph, that's 50 hours of actual driving. Add in the necessary stops, and that's simply far in excess of the time that you can be driving safely ... especially by the dawn of the third day.

you haven't allowed reasonable time for traffic density/rush hour traffic, or inclement weather ... all can add a lot of time to your trip.

even if you were driving an RV with your own comfortable sleeping accomodations (and I use a Class B RV for weeks at a time of travels where I do have my own stealth camping) ... I wouldn't suggest that more than 8-10 hours/day of attentive driving is realistic.

I'd say that you need to plan at least 2 more days of travel time ... and that's if the road conditions are optimal weather at the time of your travels. Crossing the western plains area can be stormy, the higher elevations on I-70 can be problematic, and across points west until you reach lower elevations in CA can be equally difficult in late winter/early spring.
Thanks any route suggestions "Im planning to head south on I-95 to at least NY or NJ first then get on PA turnpike west to I-70" is I-95 a good route from Boston to NJ. On I-95 in RI-Ct-NY and NJ turnpike from GW bridge to Exit 6 and PA turnpike to I-70 are there any good servies arias with food and gas.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:36 AM

4,836 posts, read 11,999,660 times
Your nap every 6 hours plan is just plain dumb. If you want to drive enjoy the drive and take your time before you kill yourself and others. If you are driving just to get there FLY!

Old 03-13-2014, 10:07 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,313 times
You can fly round trip for under $300.00; driving that far in three days makes no sense IMHO.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:37 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,031,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
You can fly round trip for under $300.00; driving that far in three days makes no sense IMHO.
everyone should take a cross-country trip by car at least once in their life, although it would be a great opportunity wasted to confine yourself to the interstates...

Old 03-15-2014, 12:30 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,991,331 times
This is simple. You drive to Logan airport in Boston and get on a plane and fly. Also I don't know who is planning your vacations but DisneyLand in CA pales in comparison with Disney World in Florida. Can you explain why you picked this destination. I can tell from your stated driving plans that you are not a very seasoned traveler even by car,

Old 03-31-2014, 05:09 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,591,150 times
Whatever you decide, stay away from Phoenix any time after May 1st. It will melt your tires coming from New England. Flagstaff is much cooler and a pretty drive. But I wouldn't say our traffic is that bad, especially compared to LA. Just stay away from the freeways from 7-9am and 3-6pm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel