Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 06:16 PM

5 posts, read 11,648 times

Advertisements

Helo guys In a few months I will be driving from New England all the way to Disneyland

I will be leaving Boston at around Sunday 4am and hope to get to Disneyland by Tuesday night.
I will probely only stop for food gas and restroom and keep driving all day and night.
however I will take small naps every 6 hours on the trip.

On the routing I think I should head south on I-95 first to at least NY then head west. I would like to avoid the NY thruway not because tolls but it heads Northwest to Buffalo, then dips south towards Cleveland. IN the western part I would like to take the southern route I-40 and I-10 instead of I-70 in Denver because of the rocky mountains.

I was planning to do
I-93 south to I-95 south through RI-CT to NY City over the GW bridge then get on NJ turnpike south to PA turnpke west to I-70 west through WV-OH-IN-IL to St louis then I-44 south to Olkahoma City then I-40 west through TX-NM-Az to Calafonria then get on I-15 south to I-10 west to I-5 south to Disnyland.

questons
1.Is the GW bridge on a sunday morning at 8am a good idea. are there any detoured Hudson river crossings such as the Tappen zee, verrazano, or Newburg Beacon better.
2.in the midwest in which I was planning to be there around 7pm in Ohio, if I continue driving overnight and go though Indiapolis at around 10pm and St Louis at around 1-2am will I avoid most of the traffic in the midwest
3.By taking that route can EZ pass be accepted in all the tolls.
4. In Arazona is I-17 south to Phinonx then I-10 west to LA is longer or shorter then I-40 west to I-15 south
5. Which citys I could get stuck in traffic. Im feared that I might hit Olkahoma city am rush hour traffic, and on I-10 in Los Angelas aria.
7. In LA I was planning to do I-10 all the way to E Los Angelas and get on I-5 south from there, are there any shortcuts.
6. Any suggested detored route.
any suggestion on the route from Boston to Disneyland thank you very very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 09:22 PM

899 posts, read 2,941,350 times
It were me and we have driven most of what your talking about..I would drop down to New Jersey to I-80 and take it clear across to Sacramento Ca , catch I-5 there and its a straight line shot into Anahiem and Disneyland..For heavens sake
give your self more time and stop for some real sleep along the way..Remember the weather is really dicey now,
allow for a bit of everything weather wise, rain sleet snow and more..
Avoid I-17 and Phoenix, its all traffic all the time..
Remember in the Los Angles Basin its always rush hour......
Good luck and have a safe trip

Old 02-26-2014, 09:44 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
I'd go to FLA instead

Old 02-26-2014, 09:53 PM

899 posts, read 2,941,350 times
The above is right about Florida unless you have lots of time to get there and get home..Its a whole lot of miles.
At any rate have a safe trip.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:57 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
approx 3,000 miles in 3 days is not very prudent as a plan, IMO.

even if you can average 60-65 mph, that's 50 hours of actual driving. Add in the necessary stops, and that's simply far in excess of the time that you can be driving safely ... especially by the dawn of the third day.

you haven't allowed reasonable time for traffic density/rush hour traffic, or inclement weather ... all can add a lot of time to your trip.

even if you were driving an RV with your own comfortable sleeping accomodations (and I use a Class B RV for weeks at a time of travels where I do have my own stealth camping) ... I wouldn't suggest that more than 8-10 hours/day of attentive driving is realistic.

I'd say that you need to plan at least 2 more days of travel time ... and that's if the road conditions are optimal weather at the time of your travels. Crossing the western plains area can be stormy, the higher elevations on I-70 can be problematic, and across points west until you reach lower elevations in CA can be equally difficult in late winter/early spring.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:21 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
OP why not go to Disneyworld in Florida, it's larger and there's more to do around this one vs going to Disneyland. You'd have more time (days) to spend there and other sights in the area to take in too. You'd save money also with less miles and travel time.
The sunsprit post above is an excellent reason to go to Florida instead.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:32 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
approx 3,000 miles in 3 days is not very prudent as a plan, IMO.

even if you can average 60-65 mph, that's 50 hours of actual driving. Add in the necessary stops, and that's simply far in excess of the time that you can be driving safely ... especially by the dawn of the third day.

you haven't allowed reasonable time for traffic density/rush hour traffic, or inclement weather ... all can add a lot of time to your trip.

even if you were driving an RV with your own comfortable sleeping accomodations (and I use a Class B RV for weeks at a time of travels where I do have my own stealth camping) ... I wouldn't suggest that more than 8-10 hours/day of attentive driving is realistic.

I'd say that you need to plan at least 2 more days of travel time ... and that's if the road conditions are optimal weather at the time of your travels. Crossing the western plains area can be stormy, the higher elevations on I-70 can be problematic, and across points west until you reach lower elevations in CA can be equally difficult in late winter/early spring.
oh come on, 15+ hours of driving time is very easy to do. Maybe if the OP is 75 years old he should keep it to 8-10 hours.

I'd personally opt for flying instead of driving though.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:07 PM

4,621 posts, read 4,887,043 times
I'd take the Mass Pike to Albany-ish (actually, I'd take US-20 across the state line into Albany, just cause the toll from MA to Albany is as much as crossing almost all of the Mass Pike )
From there, I'd get on the Southern Tier across NY.
Hop on I-90 again at the state line and go to Cleveland.
I-71 to Columbus
I-70 to St. Louis
I-44 to OKC
I-40 for 1200 miles to I-15 between Las Vegas and LA.
I-15 to LA/Anaheim

Old 02-27-2014, 06:10 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
It's a straight shot from L.A. to Anaheim on the 5 but be warned: it can be a parking lot at ANY time. Listen to KNX-1070. They have traffic reports every ten minutes and will give alternate routes if necessary. There are exits for Disneyland parking and resort-area hotels directly from the 5. They're semi-well marked. There are also diamond lanes (car pool) on the 5 and special exit lanes to the resort from them. Anaheim police direct traffic flow around the park at peak times. There are overhead signs in the resort area that give Disneyland info. (Like if the park has reached capacity and is closed.) The signs are also used to direct drivers to parking areas. Use them. And don't hesitate to ask a local for directions. The natives are friendly.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 02-27-2014 at 06:30 PM..

Old 02-27-2014, 06:17 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,970,174 times
Suggest you watch the original Vacation movie for hints on what not to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel