Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2014, 10:27 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,098,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
For me, it's not about saving the $20. My company would pay for that. When I'm traveling for business, I can't afford to have my luggage lost. I can't attend 4-5 days of meetings in the same clothes I traveled in, and there's no time to run around replacing everything.
Corporate culture for the loss. Nothing like companies being focused on what people are wearing rather than what they bring to the table. Is that the same Tie he wore on Tuesday? What a slacker. Make sure that guy never gets ahead. He might not even know the difference between a suit coat and a blazer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 10:28 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepchic View Post
That I'll never understand. A few spaces in front or behind your seat if everything else is filling up is fine, but straight up front, oh hell no.

I love priority boarding since my seats are usually in the back (I have a Delta Amex so I automatically get priority boarding). My carry on is a little smaller than the maximum required size so I don't have to try and find a bin that will fit it. If I had to wait until I actually boarded I'd have no room (and I don't mind gate check, but since I have this perk, this is why I love it). And it is nice to get on a little early, get comfy and enjoy a few minutes of the plane being virtually empty.
Ahh the Delta Amex "priority boarding" perk scam. They make fun of it in the FlyerTalk Forum for Delta.

Yes you get priority boarding of sorts...but only after 1.) Preboarding of families with young children and elderly/disabled, 2.) First Class (me if I get my upgrade), 3.) Elite frequent Flyers (me if I don't get my upgrade), 4.) I think non-elite (gold and silver) frequent flyers, then and only then (5) you may board...and if you take a flight from one of the Delta Hubs where almost everyone is a frequent flyer, you will find your "priority boarding" privledges results in you to be actually one of the last to board. A sad fact, Delta has really oversold the benefits of that perk. On top of it, it's made the "gate lice" problem even worse.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:34 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie77 View Post
I thought most airlines boarded small children first? On my flights they boarded the elderly and small children before first class.
They do indeed.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:18 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,371,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
They do indeed.
In my experience, having flown at least 6 times now with young children (and once with 90+ y.o. grandmother), it's hit and miss, depending on the airline and the people at the gate. I've seen no better than 50/50% occurrence either way (we usually fly Frontier or Unites, but sometimes Southwest if I have no choice). And in the cases that the DO have priority boarding for children and elderly, it usually lasts for about 10 seconds -- less time than it takes to grab everything and everyone and get over there. And a bunch of other people crowd the stage and stand in the way angry that our priority should crowd out theirs so we usually miss it anyways. (actually we don't even try anymore… not worth it)

Old 03-13-2014, 11:40 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Corporate culture for the loss. Nothing like companies being focused on what people are wearing rather than what they bring to the table. Is that the same Tie he wore on Tuesday? What a slacker. Make sure that guy never gets ahead. He might not even know the difference between a suit coat and a blazer.
Uh no ... it's more about not wanting to offend a room full of people with the odor of clothes I've worn all week. Nor will I be comfortable in the same clothes.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:43 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,859,987 times
I'm convinced people are so stupid they don't understand the concept of 'assigned' seating. So feel the need to bum rush the plane to get a seat before it's taken. The madness of cows stampeding. Well if that one's crowding to get on...I should too!

Old 03-13-2014, 11:57 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Some people arrange their own "priority boarding" by taking a wheelchair to the boarding area.

I used to travel crosscountry with my mother, who actually needed a wheelchair as she simply couldn't make the distance with her walker. When we first started traveling, she was often the only one in a wheelchair. By the time she stopped traveling a year ago, it was not unusual to see a dozen folks lined up in wheelchairs, waiting to board.

One couple told us they did this all the time. They were capable of walking, but the airport was confusing. So this way they got an attendant to wheel them around and they boarded first. They said this as if they were proud of their problem solving.

Airline personnel seem well aware of this scam. My mom and I always got on first and settled into our front row seats. But short of causing a commotion, what was to be done about the other eleven or so. Many seemed perfectly mobile once they got on the plane.

It was not unusual to see our "handicapable" fellow passengers walk off the plane and up the jetway with nary a need for wheelchair assistance. We saw more than a few in the baggage claim area where they would haul their luggage off the belt and out the door with no need of assistance there either.

It was a miracle.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:00 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
As to passengers stowing their gear in the front overhead compartments and then heading to the back, many times the flight personnel stow their gear up here as well. So the bag you pitch on the floor, may belong to the flight attendant.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:17 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,206,645 times
You have no right to touch another traveler's bag. If you have a problem with something, ask a FA. I do not know of any foreign or domestic airline that assigns overhead bin space.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:38 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
You have no right to touch another traveler's bag. If you have a problem with something, ask a FA. I do not know of any foreign or domestic airline that assigns overhead bin space.
THIS. I can understand turning someone's bag to make more room, but leave it in the same place. The only people who should be moving bags are the owner or the FA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel