Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 10:02 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Why were you cheering for this? That was incredibly rude of him.
That has me puzzled as well. Did that poster ever answer? I would be silently cheering if the guy that removed the luggage and sent it sliding down the aisle, replacing it with his own, was thrown off the plane.

Back to the topic - frequent flyers call those who stand by the gate door waiting to sit "Gate Lice". They clog the gates and really make the flying experience a headache. SIT DOWN until your row is called, I beg of you, don't stand by the gate. Some frequent flyers themselves are guilty of this. Part of it is the "look at me, I got my first class upgrade or my special card that lets me get priority boarding". Others simply don't understand how the boarding process works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 12:00 PM

508 posts, read 663,409 times
I've never understood it either. I prefer to be last on - because it means I am first off.

As for the overhead space - I have occasionally found someone has stuck a bag up over my seat. When this has happened, I pull it out and hand it over to the flight attendant. They track down the owner -usually not hard because its somebody already struggling to get out of their seat and all red in the face - then that person is told to put it in the space allotted to him/her or to check it. In every single case it has turned out that that person has more than the allowable carry on luggage (or they have oversize items) and the extra item(s) get checked. Of course if there is empty space anywhere near my seat this isn't an issue - but if the overheads are full, yep. I turn it over to the stewardess and let them handle it.

Also it's been years since I've been allowed to stuff anything under the seat in front of me. That is not stowage. In a crash, that is something to go flying around the cabin. All carry on luggage must be stowed properly in the storage compartments, or you must be able to hold it in your lap. You CAN set a handbag - or a backpack, these days - on the floor if it will fit between your feet, but the space under the seat in front of you is not for storing your carry-on.

Maybe that's changed back again with the newer more restrictive regulations about carry-on (smaller bags now might be allowed to be crammed under the seat in front of you) - but I wouldn't, and historically haven't, hesitated to pull the extra baggage out and hand it over to an attendant when the overhead luggage compartments are full. They are specifically designed to be able to handle all the allowed carryons for every passenger even when the plane is full, so if they are stuffed full and there is no room for your (sized according to regulations) carryon, someone has sneaked extra space for himself.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:04 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojj View Post
I've never understood it either. I prefer to be last on - because it means I am first off.

As for the overhead space - I have occasionally found someone has stuck a bag up over my seat. When this has happened, I pull it out and hand it over to the flight attendant. They track down the owner -usually not hard because its somebody already struggling to get out of their seat and all red in the face - then that person is told to put it in the space allotted to him/her or to check it. In every single case it has turned out that that person has more than the allowable carry on luggage (or they have oversize items) and the extra item(s) get checked. Of course if there is empty space anywhere near my seat this isn't an issue - but if the overheads are full, yep. I turn it over to the stewardess and let them handle it.

Also it's been years since I've been allowed to stuff anything under the seat in front of me. That is not stowage. In a crash, that is something to go flying around the cabin. All carry on luggage must be stowed properly in the storage compartments, or you must be able to hold it in your lap. You CAN set a handbag - or a backpack, these days - on the floor if it will fit between your feet, but the space under the seat in front of you is not for storing your carry-on.

Maybe that's changed back again with the newer more restrictive regulations about carry-on (smaller bags now might be allowed to be crammed under the seat in front of you) - but I wouldn't, and historically haven't, hesitated to pull the extra baggage out and hand it over to an attendant when the overhead luggage compartments are full. They are specifically designed to be able to handle all the allowed carryons for every passenger even when the plane is full, so if they are stuffed full and there is no room for your (sized according to regulations) carryon, someone has sneaked extra space for himself.
What airlines do you fly? Much of this (particularly highlighted parts) is contrary to what's standard on all the US airlines.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:11 PM

I've always thought that one possible solution to many of these issues is to adopt a boarding process similar to JetBlue. After the priority boarding, the rest of the plane boards from back to front. Not only does it minimize the line of passengers waiting for people to get seated, but it also ensures that the overhead compartments will fill from back to front. JetBlue boarding is so much smoother than other airlines, even Southwest (I've never understood why people like their boarding process).

As much as I travel (more than once a month), I've never figured out the arbitrary "zone" boarding process used by so many airlines. There doesn't seem to be any correlation between my position on the plane and what zone I am assigned.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:15 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,436,829 times
Quote:
lol ..... This statement makes no sense whatsoever! You know we are talking about airplanes right? Not the trains in Tokyo ..

Old 03-11-2014, 12:18 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
but it also ensures that the overhead compartments will fill from back to front

Assuming (and I see it happen allot) someone in the back section of the plane does not put there bag in the Front third of the coach section.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:24 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Maybe that's changed back again with the newer more restrictive ...
Dude when is the last time you flew? With the Wright Brothers? Just about everything you mentioned in your post is contradictory to modern practices.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:28 PM

274 posts, read 705,069 times
Priority boarding? I don't care for.

But, getting off of a plane first, yes!!

Old 03-11-2014, 12:29 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,525 times
I have never used the ovehead space. I check everything but my backpack that I just stick under the seat.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
but it also ensures that the overhead compartments will fill from back to front

Assuming (and I see it happen allot) someone in the back section of the plane does not put there bag in the Front third of the coach section.
But when you see it happen a lot, it's because boarding is done so haphazardly (arbitrary "zone" system) and people don't want to wait to get to row 28 to find out that there aren't any available overhead compartments. But by boarding back to front, you can see that all the compartments are empty until you get closer to your row. There's no need to put your bag in the front third, because you see that the front half+ is still wide open.

Last edited by apexgds; 03-11-2014 at 12:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel