Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 07:45 AM

93 posts, read 254,696 times

Advertisements

I did the US passport renewal by mail. The National Passport Center processed my app and sent out a new passport. The USPS tracking showed the new passport was delivered but I couldn't find it in my mailbox. So the passport was misdelivered by my postman. What's the best way to straighten this out because I'm traveling overseas next week. I've been told by the passport center customer service to submit form DS-86 but how would they know I'm in a hurry and need to expedite it? There's no mention of travel date anywhere on the form. Please advise. Thanks!

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/212242.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 11:15 AM

1,139 posts, read 3,465,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookooroo View Post
I did the US passport renewal by mail. The National Passport Center processed my app and sent out a new passport. The USPS tracking showed the new passport was delivered but I couldn't find it in my mailbox. So the passport was misdelivered by my postman. What's the best way to straighten this out because I'm traveling overseas next week. I've been told by the passport center customer service to submit form DS-86 but how would they know I'm in a hurry and need to expedite it? There's no mention of travel date anywhere on the form. Please advise. Thanks!

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/212242.pdf
Hello.

What was the outcome? did you find your passport or re-apply?

Old 05-14-2014, 11:45 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
I wish I had seen this earlier. Two things for anyone wanting an answer to this in the future.

First, don't wait until the last minute to renew a passport. I need to renew mine, it expires in seven months. I got back from an overses trip a week ago, and it's on my cehcklist to accompliish in the next week or two.

Second, your Congreessman or woman can help in situations like this. Contact them.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:30 PM

7,634 posts, read 8,701,274 times
Hopefully the OP's lost passport was not on MH370...

Old 05-14-2014, 10:55 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,734,455 times
fwiw

Get a Passport in a Hurry

Old 05-15-2014, 01:41 AM

43 posts, read 74,392 times
Waiting for new passport one week before travel? Yikes

Old 05-15-2014, 04:15 AM

61,659 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Too late now, but:

Did you opted out the expedite service?
For such important and costly document you should request a signature upon delivery and verify who signed for the item.
USPS Certified Mail provides the sender "proof of mailing" and "proof of letter delivery" it was not designed to be the fastest form of mail, but is used to provide "proof" and meet compliance and regulatory requirements for important notifications. USPS Certified Mail is considered Special Service mail so it does receive high priority delivery service. You would have to go to the Post Office to sign for the letter and pick it up.

If lost or misplaced, you letter will probably go back to a sender.
Place a call or write an email, and inquiry.
http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...ontact-us.html

If you are in the United States and are traveling in 2 weeks or less:

Make an appointment to apply in person at a Passport Agency or Center to replace your passport in 5 business days or less (based on need, some restrictions apply). Don't forget to pay for expedited service!
You must submit Form DS-11 and DS-64 in person to the agency. You may:
Use our online guide to fill out Form DS-11 and DS-64 and then print for submission by mail or in person; or
Print Form DS-11 and Form DS-64 and complete by hand.
http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...st-stolen.html

BTW: If your passport has been lost or stolen, it should be reported immediately to help protect yourself against identity theft and to prevent someone else from using the passport.

Last edited by elnina; 05-15-2014 at 04:34 AM..

Old 05-15-2014, 05:24 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
I would have thought passports are sent by registered mail meaning whoever delivers it to your door needs a signature, perhaps it was delivered to the wrong address and is now in delay as it gets routed back to the sender and subsequently gets that address checked out, a process that could be delaying your passport by a month.. call em up and ask whats happening..

Old 05-15-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Not much you can do really
WRONG. Perhaps you shouldn't be trying to give information on how to obtain a US passport when you don't live here, aren't a citizen, and obviously ahven't a clue on the matter.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
This won't work if the birth certificate hasn't been returned either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel