Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 07:22 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times

Advertisements

Never had a problem in any country, although when I arrived here in Chile it was a bit annoying because I needed three different things to get in.. they were all in different places and they only told me one thing at a time so I actually had to go through the customs line three times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 05:24 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
I am well traveled and have never had a problem going through customs anywhere. I always follow the rules and I always mind my manners. A little respect can go a long ways.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:52 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I've never had a problem. I'm polite, answer the questions, don't try to smuggle, and have my papers in order.

One of the Canadian Customs officers did have a problem with me though. My son and I were camping and had a car full of camping stuff plus five adult German Shepherd Dogs. The first inspector asked if I owned any guns and I replied "Yes, but not with me". That was enough to get me sent to secondary inspection.

I asked the secondary inspector if he would like to have me remove the dogs from the car and he said yes. So I called them out and put them in a line at a sit stay.

He had to remove and inspect a large amount of camping gear from a little Honda Civic Hatchback. He had to get up inside the car. By the time he was done, he was covered head to toe in a thick layer of German Shepherd Dog hair.

I suspect that the original inspector who sent me to secondary inspection caught an earful of displeasure from his co-worker.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:28 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,004 times
Not customs, but TSA checkpoint for domestic:

We flew with our 1 and 3 year old recently. I had by wife carry the little guy because in the past they went easier on me when I carried him through. Not this time. They said that since she was going through the regular process you have to get a finger swab test. They would not answer why that had never been the case before now. I guess that test is sensitive to diaper smell or hand sanitizer because it came back false positive. They gave me the baby on the other side and quarantined my wife out of sight for about 20 minutes to wait for a full pat down. My 3 year old was certain that Mom was taken away forever and then she had to pee. That set off the one year old so then both kids are breaking down right there where everyone's trying to put their shoes and stuff back on. We couldn't move because we had the child seats (required by law), baggage, and of course two kids… way too much for me to move by myself and of course I can;t leave anything unattended. So, we're stuck there for what seemed like hours, with screaming babies and nothing I can do about it except plead with them and look completely inept. We got no help but plenty of dirty looks. After 15 minutes, I asked what the delay was. The guy said, 'federal regulations'. I said, "Is this how TSA is making the skies safer, by terrorizing young families?" He got mad (understandably) and said that was my opinion (which was true). Finally a friendly fellow passenger came by and offered to help me car all the luggage out to the gate. That took about a minute and my wife showed up a few minutes later and then the kids were fine. The rest of the flight went ok, but my wife felt horrible after being treated that way and having every imaginable part patted down my some TSA agent (female of course, but still…)

When did flying become a crime? Especially with a baby.

For the sake of the OP's actual question: You obviously need to make sure you don't have anything illegal with you or in your luggage. That will include some kids of food (produce, mostly) and of course any kind of weaponry or illegal substances. Prescription meds are ok as long as they have the label with what they are and your name on them. If they're not very critical for you to have, maybe just put them in your baggage and avoid some potential hassle that way. Beyond that, you just need to arrive real early so that you can be relaxed and take your time as you go through. They hate it when they see people trying to rush the process and may intentionally make it take longer for you at that point. And of course answer their questions respectfully and honestly. The only time I had a problem at the US-Can border was when I forgot to have my passport with me on the way back in (duh).

Last edited by otterprods; 03-19-2014 at 11:28 AM..

Old 03-19-2014, 11:03 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
I take a number of prescription medications, and I receive them at the pharmacy in their original boxes with no pharmacy label or other retail markings. Therefore, I carry a list of my medications and the dosage signed by my physician. No one has ever raised an eyebrow about the drugs, or taken any interest in them, and I have never shown my doctor's note.

But, just in case.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:06 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post

Prescription meds are ok as long as they have the label with what they are and your name on the, I'd still recommend checking those as opposed to carrying them on, because then jus the bags gets searched on not you.
I'm sorry, but that's the WORST possible advice, unless you are talking about vitamins or other non-essential medicine. NEVER, ever let your prescription meds out of your hands. Putting them in checked baggage is a risk to your health if those bags are lost, or if the meds are stolen.

I'd rather hassle with the TSA than an emergency room visit (or worse).

Old 03-19-2014, 11:15 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm sorry, but that's the WORST possible advice, unless you are talking about vitamins or other non-essential medicine. NEVER, ever let your prescription meds out of your hands. Putting them in checked baggage is a risk to your health if those bags are lost, or if the meds are stolen.

Amen to that. My meds are always with me.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:23 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

Good point. I was thinking about non-life essential meds. …things like the pain/muscle meds or non-subscription things I would likely have. But yes, obviously, if your meds are critical, then keep them with you. That just seems like common sense, but I edited my previous comment just in case.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:10 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Not customs, but TSA checkpoint for domestic:

We flew with our 1 and 3 year old recently. I had by wife carry the little guy because in the past they went easier on me when I carried him through. Not this time. They said that since she was going through the regular process you have to get a finger swab test. They would not answer why that had never been the case before now. I guess that test is sensitive to diaper smell or hand sanitizer because it came back false positive. They gave me the baby on the other side and quarantined my wife out of sight for about 20 minutes to wait for a full pat down. My 3 year old was certain that Mom was taken away forever and then she had to pee. That set off the one year old so then both kids are breaking down right there where everyone's trying to put their shoes and stuff back on. We couldn't move because we had the child seats (required by law), baggage, and of course two kids… way too much for me to move by myself and of course I can;t leave anything unattended. So, we're stuck there for what seemed like hours, with screaming babies and nothing I can do about it except plead with them and look completely inept. We got no help but plenty of dirty looks. After 15 minutes, I asked what the delay was. The guy said, 'federal regulations'. I said, "Is this how TSA is making the skies safer, by terrorizing young families?" He got mad (understandably) and said that was my opinion (which was true). Finally a friendly fellow passenger came by and offered to help me car all the luggage out to the gate. That took about a minute and my wife showed up a few minutes later and then the kids were fine. The rest of the flight went ok, but my wife felt horrible after being treated that way and having every imaginable part patted down my some TSA agent (female of course, but still…)

When did flying become a crime? Especially with a baby.

For the sake of the OP's actual question: You obviously need to make sure you don't have anything illegal with you or in your luggage. That will include some kids of food (produce, mostly) and of course any kind of weaponry or illegal substances. Prescription meds are ok as long as they have the label with what they are and your name on them. If they're not very critical for you to have, maybe just put them in your baggage and avoid some potential hassle that way. Beyond that, you just need to arrive real early so that you can be relaxed and take your time as you go through. They hate it when they see people trying to rush the process and may intentionally make it take longer for you at that point. And of course answer their questions respectfully and honestly. The only time I had a problem at the US-Can border was when I forgot to have my passport with me on the way back in (duh).
Hoping to god no issues occur at Dublin. We will not be in the mood with 10 hours of flying ahead of us and many hours in airports. We are just going to prepare ourselves for a long day and so not be grumpy and try and get through it as quick as possible.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:15 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Amen to that. My meds are always with me.
I'll be bringing nothing. Going to bin everything before going through the customs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel