Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 04:14 PM

392 posts, read 1,858,531 times

Advertisements

We all have expectations when we set out to visit a new place. I'm curious what locations were the furtherest from what you expected and why?

For me the biggest were; Western Europe having so much open space. I can drive for hours in areas of the US and still be in an urban/suburban environment and we've only been developing for a few hundred years.

New Orleans: I love history, cities, a good party and food. It seemed a given that I would hit it off with that town. I tried it twice to be sure but it wasn't to be. The smell, drunks staggering about, it just seemed depressing.

Vietnam: To many war movies had me thinking way more jungle. I thought the cities would be more like Mexico but they were so clean and the people were fantastic.

OK there is my ignorance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 05:18 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,623,997 times
"Vietnam: To many war movies had me thinking way more jungle. I thought the cities would be more like Mexico but they were so clean and the people were fantastic."

It was a bit different 37 years ago!

The worst experience (that I paid for) was cruise's that we took, that stopped in Jamaica (2X). We've been to countless islands and Jamaica was horrible, lots of street scum and unfriendly people was our experience. I would never step foot on that island again.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:49 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,027,811 times
That would have to be the acid trip.

Just kidding!

Old 12-06-2007, 07:28 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,265,553 times
What surprised me the most was in Eastern Washington State. I couldn't believe there was a desert that far north after all the lush greenery having driven up the coast.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:59 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
I've had many prior expectations shaken up here and there, but I think my biggest surprise (a pleasant one!) was Hawaii.
I had this notion that Hawaii was sort of plastic and Disney-fied and artificial.
What I saw (Oahu, Kauai, and the Big Island) was beautiful, full of history (some of it sad, but all of it interesting), and unspoiled.
Now I am sure that living there has its ups and downs, but in terms of visiting and being surprised, I certainly was.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:17 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,397,575 times
I went to Auckland New Zealand and wasn't impressed. It wasn't bad, just the town was not what I thought. I think the countryside is what makes New Zealand exceptional.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:55 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,996,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
What surprised me the most was in Eastern Washington State. I couldn't believe there was a desert that far north after all the lush greenery having driven up the coast.
THAT WAS Wetnachee, BEAUTIFUL, indeed. How about the beautiful Lake Chelan there, and the Swiss Alp village of Leavenworth. We arrived in Seattle from NYC, and did the whole Lewis trail, beautiful state. We also did all of Oregon. Loved the Oregon coast. Also did the Napa Sonoma Valley in California, another beautiful area, and the whole state of Utah, including Provo, the Sundance Ranch, Park City, and another desert area|: St. George. Another marvelous state. Then we did the State of Colorado. And on our way to Telluride, stopped at this little town of Ouray, and rented a suite facing a snowed-in mountain with Buffaloes, behind a see-through-fence, not more than 200 feet from the hotel/motel. I could not sleep because I felt sorry for the Buffaloes. We had a fireplace going, and they were out in the cold!!!!!! What a beautiful experience! I also, remember travelling east on Highway 2 towards Wetnachee, and there was not a soul in that well-paved highway, or any stores, houses, gasoline stations, etc. We were petrified coming from NYC!!!!!! We could not wait to get off it. It was in the early 90's. I would love to make the same trip all over again. And highly recommend all of the above states. We met a lot of beautiful people.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:56 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,751 times
Turkey - it's beautiful. The locals were really nice, food was great and the archeological sites were breathtaking...literally.

Charlotte, NC - what a disapointment

Ireland - liked it much more than I thought I would. The people are as nice as you hear that they are and it's as beautiful and green as you always here that it is. Dublin is very cosmopolitan and I've never seen so many young people anywhere else. Great place to visit for anyone 18-30.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:02 AM

249 posts, read 1,029,758 times
cil, I have to agree. I expected Hawaii to be just like the rest of the US, very white, sterile, nothing different. But I loved there was such a native Hawaiian and Japanese influence. The people there were extremely warm and wise in their way of living.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:20 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,621,508 times
Estonia: I had assumed it would be rather drab and grey and still quite "Soviet" ( as they only gained independence in 1991) and was pleasantly surprised.

Tallinn was just absolutely stunning, vibrant, modern and very up-beat, and Estonia seems to be catching up with Finland and Scandinavia really quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if it "overtakes" them at some point. We were staying in the Russian speaking aprt of town and there is still a lot of Soviet infrastructure as you would expect but there was so much building going on and a lot of very good modern architecture.

My only concern is that in the process of modernising and shaking off their Soviet past they will lose some of their wonderful culture and become another bland assimilated part of the world.

I noticed a lot of the stunning carved wooden houses were being sorely neglected in favour for modern condos which seems a shame.

The rest of Estonia is moving a lot slower but you can tell there is a real buzz to the place.

Tallinn was actually one my favourite destinations and I hope to go back very soon.

I was really disappointed by Amsterdam , a very beautiful place but it felt really sterile, I just felt that unless you were into pot, prostitutes or trendy shops ,it had very little to offer. I know it sounds silly but it completely lacked character, I found Amsterdamers to be really rude and intolerant ( The rest of the Netherlands was great), it was quite dirty and everything went wrong basically. Even the museums were a disappointment ( both the Riijksmuseum and the Van Gogh museum only had a third of their exhibits opened to the public and yet charged the same entry fee) . My worst trip ever in fact. I have no desire to go back at all.

Not at all what I had been expected to believe.

New Orleans was a major let down too. The French Quarters was pretty but I think I had assumed it was pretty much the largest part of the city ( I was only 17 at the time, so this excuses my naivety ) and couldn't believe how modern , dirty and violent it all felt. I think I had expected something really charming and lovely and it wasn't. I never saw so many hookers.

Iran was also a very pleasant surprise, I found a lot of extremely well informed, highly educated people, tolerant , hospitable , kind and full of curiosity and a rather moderate society. I think I had expected something somehow dangerous and fanatic . And the Archaeological sites were worth the trip alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel