Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 06:45 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,004 times

Advertisements

From previous experience, no less than 1 hour. Especially the larger airports which you may have to take a tram to another concourse. Depending on several factors, I try to give myself 1 hour and 30 min. between flights. Usually 1.5-2 hours is a layover time I feel comfortable with. This gives me plenty of time to get to my gate, use the restroom, and have a snack. Also, if my 1st flight leaves a few minutes late, it still gives me time to catch my connecting flight.

If/when I book a flight with less than a 1 hour layover, I am prepared mentally to miss my connecting flight. I will only book a flight with less than a 1 hour layover if it is a great price. Even then, I try to stay away from those very short layovers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 09:44 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,708,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
No. Most planes close the door if your not on board 15 minutes before departure. Have at least an hour.
I once flew out of LGA to Shreveport, LA with a plane change at DFW. My LGA flight was over an hour late. I literally ran through DFW to catch the Shreveport flight and arrived at the gate 5 minutes early, only to find out that the flight already left.

You'd think that the airline would monitor these things (flight delays) and would at least give those on their own late flights a chance to make the connection. I was not the only one on at that LGA flight to miss that connection, I was just the first to get there after the flight left.

Thanks American Airlines.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:52 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
No. Unless your departure gate is three down from your arrival gate.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:25 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
32 minutes is plenty of time if:

- you are by yourself
- have only one bag or no bag
- are able to run
- and remember to check the departure monitors right when you land

32 minutes until boarding? Or 32 minutes until final boarding call? If it's 32 minutes before boarding you will be just fine. 32 minutes before final boarding call will be tight, hope you have your runners on.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:59 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,683,428 times
I once flew into Detroit on a domestic flight and had to connect to an international flight to Tokyo. Anyway, my first flight was late and that didn't leave me much time to get to the Tokyo flight. On top of that, I had to go to an entirely different part of the airport. In short, you had better hope you first flight arrives on time and you better be prepared to move quickly.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,056 times
AA changed my flight from DFW to OGG with a stopover in SFO to HA to OGG. Original flight had a 90 minute layover in SFO, with the change from DFW it went to 33 minutes! I called AA and told them 33 minutes was not enough time to change planes and have luggage transferred to another airline. They could not book my wife and I on another flight on the same date. We will have to leave a day earlier, costing us another $500.00 for hotel and car. The only thing AA offered was to fly in to SFO a day early, spend the night and catch the original flight to OGG. No mention of putting us up for the night, paying for cabs, or compensating for just the inconvenience. By the way I booked this trip with AA in Feb. 2015 and our flight is not until Oct. 2015! AA has changed and not for the better, it's all about money and screw the customer!!!

Old 09-02-2015, 01:06 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
In my experience, that is not enough time. Even if your next flight is a few gates down and your flight isn't delayed getting to the airport, you may taxi for a bit. Moreover, unless you're seated in first class/near the front of plane and can immediately depart, fellow passengers getting their belongings will likely prolong your departure from the flight.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:29 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMH123456789 View Post
AA changed my flight from DFW to OGG with a stopover in SFO to HA to OGG. Original flight had a 90 minute layover in SFO, with the change from DFW it went to 33 minutes! I called AA and told them 33 minutes was not enough time to change planes and have luggage transferred to another airline. They could not book my wife and I on another flight on the same date. We will have to leave a day earlier, costing us another $500.00 for hotel and car. The only thing AA offered was to fly in to SFO a day early, spend the night and catch the original flight to OGG. No mention of putting us up for the night, paying for cabs, or compensating for just the inconvenience. By the way I booked this trip with AA in Feb. 2015 and our flight is not until Oct. 2015! AA has changed and not for the better, it's all about money and screw the customer!!!
Why am I pretty sure you booked this on two separate tickets?

If I'm wrong and you did book it on one ticket purchased thru AA, stick with what they offered you. Should you miss your connection in DFW due to mechanical issues, they will be responsible for putting you on another flights as well as overnight hotel costs, if any.

If you booked this on two separate tickets, it's not AA's problem.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:21 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,683,428 times
One time I got to Detroit late and my flight to Tokyo left about 20 minutes after I arrived. I managed to get to the plane on time (at another terminal), but when I finally got to Bangkok, my bags were Nowhere to be found. They showed up the next day.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:16 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
I think that I have missed four connections in my years of flying. THREE of them were on Northwest Airlines (now Delta) through Detroit. And two of those flights were to Montreal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel