Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 12:33 PM

607 posts, read 1,216,463 times

Advertisements

My husband and I want to take a two week vacation this fall (Sept/Oct) to celebrate our anniversary. We wrote a list of our dream destinations but can't seem to decide which one to pick!

Here's our list:

Italy (Rome and Tuscany) and Paris
Kenya (safari and beach)
Peru (Machu Picchu and the Amazon)
Ecuador (mainland and the Galapagos)

If any of you have been to these destinations, please share some insights from your trip. If not, chime in with where you would go to help us make a decision!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 01:24 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Do you want animals and nature?

Do you want history, great cuisine and wine?

Do you want lots of hiking and wilderness?

Do you want romance and luxury, or do you want to be more rugged?

Whatever the answers, I'd say 2 weeks isn't long enough for any of these trips. Leave off "and" and make it "or" and you've got 2 week trips, maybe. Remember - you're going to lose 2-4 days in traveling to some of these places.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:33 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,742,298 times
Well, to answer your question to the letter, I would undoubtedly say that my 2 week dream vacation would be visiting the out islands of the Bahamas (50 to 200 miles from Nassau, but a whole world away) and renting a boat to explore the many uninhabited islands and sandbars that are nearby----places that 98% of the forum members here have never even heard of such as Conception Island, Plana Cays, Samana Cay (Columbus first landed here!), Hogstay Atoll, The Inagua's, Rum Cay, Mayaguana, etc!!

As luck would have it, that is exactly what I'm going to be doing in less than 3 months--although only to about half of all of the places I listed, but a trip like this is purely for DIY'ers who are confident on their own yearning to explore remote places, not those who want to be pampered at 5 star resorts on a beach with hundreds of other travelers.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Do you want animals and nature?

Do you want lots of hiking and wilderness?

Do you want romance and luxury, or do you want to be more rugged?

Whatever the answers, I'd say 2 weeks isn't long enough for any of these trips. Leave off "and" and make it "or" and you've got 2 week trips, maybe. Remember - you're going to lose 2-4 days in traveling to some of these places.
I'd like a little romance, good food and some adventure all in one trip, if possible. I think that's why our list is a little all over the place.

I've done some rough itineraries and it looks like we could see everything we want in 2 weeks at any of those destinations. The only one where time will be really tight is Ecuador, b/c of the travel to and around the Galapagos.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Well, to answer your question to the letter, I would undoubtedly say that my 2 week dream vacation would be visiting the out islands of the Bahamas (50 to 200 miles from Nassau, but a whole world away) and renting a boat to explore the many uninhabited islands and sandbars that are nearby----places that 98% of the forum members here have never even heard of such as Conception Island, Plana Cays, Samana Cay (Columbus first landed here!), Hogstay Atoll, The Inagua's, Rum Cay, Mayaguana, etc!!

As luck would have it, that is exactly what I'm going to be doing in less than 3 months--although only to about half of all of the places I listed, but a trip like this is purely for DIY'ers who are confident on their own yearning to explore remote places, not those who want to be pampered at 5 star resorts on a beach with hundreds of other travelers.
That sounds amazing! My husband and I went to the Bahamas for our honeymoon and loved it. I hope to go back one day and see more!

Old 04-24-2014, 02:33 PM

4,213 posts, read 4,737,906 times
Bora Bora

Old 04-24-2014, 02:53 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
I think that going to Kenya for two weeks from Wash DC would be a waste. Even without the beach, the time spent in the air just doesn't justify the expense. I wouldn't do that trip without at least 3 weeks.

The Galapagos Islands are better Dec-May as the water is warmer, and it's less windy. If you are thinking of going in 2014, you will have limited availability as most of the 'better' trips/boats are booked up.

Machu Picchu and The Amazon will not have much romance/luxury to offer, but are amazing places. September is still winter in MP, and October weather can be iffy.

Certainly the easiest would be Rome/Florence/Tuscany/Paris - and the weather should be very nice that time of year. Savings can be achieved as it's shoulder season. I'd suggest an alternative, though. Do Rome/Florence/Tuscany, and instead of Paris, go to Istanbul. That trip would be full of romance, luxury (if you want it), incredible (and varied) food, culture and history. Istanbul is a terrific city, much underrated and well suited to those who are a little adventurous.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 04-24-2014 at 03:57 PM..

Old 04-24-2014, 03:18 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
California, Dubai, New York and maybe Aussie.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:18 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,434 times
Japan, eat authentic sushi, come home.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:18 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,791,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Yes, please.

As for me, I am not 100% sure, but definitely somewhere which is near the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel