Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 02:16 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times

Advertisements

They're a budget carrier affiliated with SAS, and I just discovered that they are -- for now -- offering insanely low fares from Oakland to Oslo and Stockholm.

Has anyone here flown that route, or any other, with them? I see from the website that there's no assigned seating unless you pay extra, so I wonder if it's a trans-Atlantic version of Southwest or whether it's a bit nicer than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 02:33 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,422,159 times
Are you familiar with European low cost carriers? If so, I would put them a notch above EasyJet and a couple notches above RyanAir. Remember they are a LOW cost carrier: you aren't getting luxury or anything close to it. Remember that low cost carriers will nickle and dime you, so the stated price may not be your actual price if you want to check luggage, reserve a seat, etc. depending on what fare class you book.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:35 PM

Yes, I flew on a few low-cost carriers when I lived in Europe. They're running 787 Dreamliners from the West Coast to Europe, so I thought it might be slightly nicer than a typical low-cost airline. But I guess they can cram seats into those planes just as easily as into any other.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:43 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
From what I understand, they're pretty up front about the nickel-and-diming - it's just another price structure, really - and the route choice is certainly very attractive. The reason I'd probably not take a chance on them is that they bought 787s, and that plane has reliability issues. (Boeing has even admitted as much.) Nothing dangerous, but tons of cancellations and delays, and with them being a small airline, it is much harder to organize back-up capacity. In other words, you could get stranded for a quite a while.

In my student days, where money was tight and time wasn't, I'd be all over that trade-off. Now, well... Still, LA-Copenhagen without changing planes? Bliss.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
From what I understand, they're pretty up front about the nickel-and-diming - it's just another price structure, really - and the route choice is certainly very attractive.
Not to mention $550 RT from Oakland to Oslo -- taxes and fees (but no extras) included.

Now all I need is a reason to go to Oslo. (And a new passport, since mine expired.)

Last edited by pch1013; 02-19-2014 at 05:18 PM..

Old 02-19-2014, 08:49 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Keep in mind that $550 is also a bar tab for a night of moderately interesting drinking in Oslo, which is a seriously expensive place to vacation. But it looks like Air Berlin will get you to budget-friendly Berlin from Oslo for $107 RT (sample days- March 17-March 25, other spring RTs may be slightly more)

Old 02-20-2014, 12:28 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,422,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
From what I understand, they're pretty up front about the nickel-and-diming - it's just another price structure, really
Absolutely. I actually prefer the option to pay for the features you use, since we are paying for it one way or another (e.g. no carrier hauls your bags for "free", just like there is no "free delivery" of anything to your house: they are built in costs). I do like that European low lost carriers are much more up front about the fees as opposed to the US carriers, which I appreciate.

To the OP, that's a phenomenal airfare!

Old 02-20-2014, 07:41 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,935 times
I just booked them Fort Lauderdale to Copenhagen for $291. I flew them in Scandanavia in Dec and they were fine. They felt nothing like Ryanair.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:10 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,189,972 times
I would avoid Norwegian for long-haul flights. A number of flights from New York and Bangkok have been delayed due to issues with the Dreamliner. They are my preferred airline for flights within Europe, though.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:17 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,189,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Are you familiar with European low cost carriers? If so, I would put them a notch above EasyJet and a couple notches above RyanAir. Remember they are a LOW cost carrier: you aren't getting luxury or anything close to it. Remember that low cost carriers will nickle and dime you, so the stated price may not be your actual price if you want to check luggage, reserve a seat, etc. depending on what fare class you book.
Norwegian is nothing like Ryanair. The booking process is very simple and they list all the extra charges. Ryanair are a bunch of crooks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel