Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 08:47 PM

44,360 posts, read 20,070,158 times

Advertisements

My friends and I will be spending some time in Brussels, Belgium in October. We plan to rent a nice sedan for one of our free days and do some exploring.

Does anyone have suggestions for a day trip from Brussels?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:44 AM

16,674 posts, read 17,440,619 times
What are your particular interests PJ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 06:38 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,925,972 times
You could get up into Holland (Delft for the canals and old stuff, Rotterdam for the modern architecture). I don't think you want to drive into Amsterdam. Maybe Bruges in Belgium. All of these- drive there in the car, park it, and walk.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:11 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,750,953 times
You can easily drive to Antwerp or Ghent for a day trip, although after I'd done it, I realized I would have been better off taking the train. Don't miss the Rubens house in Antwerp. Bruges is worth a couple of days on its own. Also Waterloo is a short drive from Brussels. Enjoy yourself in one of my favorite countries!

Old 07-03-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
You could get up into Holland (Delft for the canals and old stuff, Rotterdam for the modern architecture). I don't think you want to drive into Amsterdam. Maybe Bruges in Belgium. All of these- drive there in the car, park it, and walk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
You can easily drive to Antwerp or Ghent for a day trip, although after I'd done it, I realized I would have been better off taking the train. Don't miss the Rubens house in Antwerp. Bruges is worth a couple of days on its own. Also Waterloo is a short drive from Brussels. Enjoy yourself in one of my favorite countries!
Thanks for your input, rational and eureka. I appreciate it!

After 4 nights in Brussels, we'll be taking a train to Amsterdam and will spend 3 night there, so our day trip from Brussels will be to someplace other than Amsterdam. Waterloo is on the agenda. We're going to be taking some train trips, so the day we have the car we'd like to see something off the beaten track, so to speak.

Any particular castles or other sites which should be on our must-see list?

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
What are your particular interests PJ?
Hi, Jez! We're a rather eclectic group, but are all open to most ideas. (Although I think a couple of the people will not want to go to the musical instrument museum that I've got my eye on!)

Since I know so little about Europe, I'm not sure what to ask about. I/we want to tour at least one castle, and as I said in the other post, we'll be visiting Waterloo. (Don loves history, especially stuff about battles. ) We have a number of activities already planned at locations we can reach by train. But we're wondering what must-see sites may lie in areas we could only reach via car. We'll have the car for a full day and evening, so we could go to a few different sites, depending on their distance.

Here are a few things that come to mind:
castles
breweries
wineries
gardens
battlefields
cathedrals
famous pubs or restaurants
particularly great panoramic vistas
Neolithic sites (Don's request!)

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-04-2013 at 12:55 PM..

Old 07-05-2013, 10:12 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,431,124 times
I would recommend Brugges and if you'r interested in WW2 the museum at Dunkirk in France is another hour away, but you could take in some of the other WW2 historical places along the coast.

Dunkirk: Where History Happened | BBC History Magazine

Old 07-05-2013, 12:58 PM

4,791 posts, read 10,615,390 times
+3 on Bruges & Ghent...
have been to Brussels, et al many times, but not seeing B or G is a missed opportunity, imo.
And, easily trainable vs driving, though driving is not that difficult.
GL, mD

Old 07-05-2013, 01:50 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,750,953 times
I drove to Ghent from Brussels and the proudest moment in my life was when I FOUND MY CAR afterward, I'm the kind that loses my car in the Costco parking lot. Every week. Ghent has a fabulous cathedral where you can gaze down from the towers. Drive or train you'll have a great time. Check with the locals on the drive time for this but if you drive to Ostend you can check out where Marvin Gaye spent some of his last days, plus its an old fashioned seaside resort. Don't skip the marionette theater in Brussels, the Toone. . It's close to the Grand Place. You can enjoy the shows even if you only speak English. Belgium is a wonderful country on the verge of splitting apart. You wlll enjoy your visit.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:02 PM

16,674 posts, read 17,440,619 times
Check out Ypres and the surrounding area if you're interested in battlefields.

I'm on my iPad ATM but can post some more info later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel